A13 Stanford-le-Hope Bypass Widening

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Runwell

Re: A13 Stanford-le-Hope Bypass Widening

Post by Runwell »

Another little milestone after this weekend, as traffic on the Orsett Cock roundabout is due to be moved on to the new Western bridge across the A13. The current Western bridge over the roundabout is due to come down on the first weekend in June. Likely to be a strange layout there in the short term. At the moment the eastbound exit from the A13 at the A128 goes on a bit of a chicane at the end on approach to the roundabout, although presumably after the weekend that will no longer be necessary? Hopefully work will then pick up pace on the Eastern side of the roundabout.

Still bits and pieces to do at the eastbound exit for the A1014. Westbound the same, although the tarmac is now going down for the new exit to the services, and lighting now going in on the exit to the A128, so presumably that's not far away from completion. Already starting to see the excavated central reservation at the A1014 end being backfilled. Meanwhile the Saffron Gardens Farm bridge looks now to be complete, including both approach ramps. Just some landscaping work to do around there by the looks of it. Looking fairly hopeful the road will at least be fully open to traffic by the winter.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Good to see this bit being done. I haven't done one of my A13 walks since October 2013, been a while since I've been that way!
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through the works area again on Tuesday evening.

The main difference is the new bridge on the western side of the A128 Orsett roundabout is now in use, and, as of last weekend, the old western bridge has been demolished. Since the start of June, they've also had a lane closed 24/7 on the roundabout to push forward with the junction realignment. Next weekend, all but the south-west quadrant of the roundabout is due to be shut, which suggests traffic is being moved on to the Eastern bridge after next weekend? Certainly the kerbing and surface is down pretty much on the northern approach to the Eastern bridge, although the point after the bridge looks a long way off in comparison, so I hope they've gone flat out since Tuesday to push that forward? The A13 itself is due to be shut under the roundabout for the first weekend in July, which will presumably be to take down the current Eastern bridge? That will be the last bridge to be demolished, so that will be another significant step towards the end game.

On the A13 itself, looks like the merge point eastbound at the A1014 junction is now open, although lots of work taking place still to the adjacent balancing pond. The westbound widened approach to the A128 has also been opened up (although only past the services, where widening work continues) plus the sliproad as well which removes the temporary weaving, although in the case of the latter in particular, there's still a fair amount of finishing works to do, including kerbing on the slip road, but the widened exit slip is now in use. Work now underway on reprofiling the embankment past the westbound exit slip road, with soil nailing quite advanced on the other areas through the junction. Also noticed, at the Stanford end, the first parts of the concrete central barrier looked like they had been or were about to be put in to place. Landscaping and final fencing work already taking place in some areas, so things moving at a pace now. Would be hopeful it will be open at some point in the Autumn, from the progress visibly made.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went back along here this evening, and they have now pushed forward with the kerbing and surfacing of the south side of the Eastern arm of the Orsett Cock roundabout, so no doubt about that being ready for next Monday morning.

Also saw this evening that the new exit to the westbound services is now open. Just the work to do on the exit from the services, where they are still working on the new retaining wall, and the full width of the road between Stanford-le-Hope and Orsett will finally be in use.

Didn't realise also that the new concrete barrier has moved forward quite a pace at the Orsett end, not just the Stanford end. The project site offices just past the westbound on slip at Stanford also look like they are now decommissioned, and ready to be cleared out the way. Lots of final fencing and some final landscaping work also now complete. The way it's going, by the end of the summer, it could be almost complete.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Image of the Eastern bridge on the Orsett Cock roundabout coming down over the weekend - the last bridge to be demolished as part of the scheme, with all new bridges now in use. Also visible in the background is the soil nailing ongoing on the westbound exit.
Screenshot_20210705-215930_Twitter.jpg
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through here this evening for the first time since June.

Most of the concrete barrier is now in place between Orsett and Stanford, apart from a short distance either side of the Saffron Gardens bridge, and through the Orsett junction, plus several small gaps where they are still installing the new drainage.

Landscaping works look complete to the south of the westbound carriageway past the Stanford on-slip, and all the site offices there have gone. Landscaping works also going a pace by the Horndon Road bridge, so no sign of this work being left to deal with after the main scheme is complete.

Looks like work on the retaining wall past the London bound services is complete, and the road surface seems to be under construction there, although no work at present to reprofile the exit from the services, but that will surely happen soon.

Through the Orsett junction, with the old bridges now demolished, work pushing on for the new lane through the junction, with soil nailing continuing and gullies now being installed along the road.

On the Orsett Cock roundabout, traffic has recently been moved on to a section of the new inner part of the roundabout on the southern side, meaning a different look to the junctions with the A1013(W&E) and old A128. Looks like this month will see a lot of work on the old A128 South of the roundabout, with some weekend and overnight closures, whilst the old outer edges of the roundabout are reprofiled. Most works complete now on the inner circle of the roundabout.

Hopefully when I next go along the A13, works in the centre between Orsett and Stanford will be done, and the narrow lanes be hopefully done away with for a traditional lane closure for the final stages.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

A13 closed this weekend between Tilbury and Orsett. From Monday, the lane drop at Orsett eastbound will be no more - well, the road layout will remain two lanes for now whilst the works continue, but the Orsett exit will no longer have a dedicated lane.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

I doubt I'll ever get an opportunity to see the new road after widening for the foreseeable future, so I'm curious to know – will there be any N.M.U. restrictions/T.R.O. special regulations on the widened section when it opens or will it be truly an "all–purpose" road?

Chris Williams
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

I would be surprised if there are any plans for that.

Went through tonight, where the road layout has changed to the west of the A128 junction and through it. Lane 1 eastbound now has the 40 limit put back to the Tilbury exit, though it didn't appear to be being observes. Quite a few signs to advise of Lane 1 eastbound now being a through Lane, with Lane 3 closed just before the A128 exit and previous Lane drop. That must be causing a lot of delays. Bizarrely, no temporary ADS anywhere to advise of the junction details, which given it's the A128 for Brentwood, is quite a startling admission. Equally as odd is the old 1/2 mile ADS which is still in place showing the name drop, albeit part of it is missing and is in an area with extending foliage - given that section was shut all weekend, I'm surprised they didn't take the opportunity to take it out?
Westbound, they've coned Lane 3 off for an extended section past the A128 junction, which just happened to be a fairly potholed lane, so not a bad thing!
Both ways, traffic starting to be moved away from the central reservation through the western part of the A128 junction, on to the new section, but most of the road through the junction still under construction. Looks like it will be a few weeks yet before they completely move both sides of the A13 through the A128 junction on to the new widened sections of road, but it's not far away.

On the Orsett Cock roundabout, the Chadwell St Mary arm of the widened roundabout looks almost complete apart from kerbing. Work stepping up now on realigning the A1013(W) arm.

Still some drainage works taking place on short sections of the A13 between the A128 and A1014, so on the A1014 side, still a few gaps in the new central barrier. Much of the varioguard now gone from the westbound side though, from before the Saffron Gardens bridge to the A128 junction, replaced with cones. A little section eastbound with cones only past the A128 as well. Not looking too far away now.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through tonight for the first time in a few weeks, and I noticed they are suddenly ripping up a very long section of the central concrete barrier. It's too long a section to put removable barriers in, so I can only assume there was some contamination in the concrete, which may lead to spooling problems? They were in the works section tonight chiselling away at it. That's likely to set the project back even further? Just when the central barrier between Stanford-le-Hope and Orsett was looking pretty much complete, as it looks like they've been resurfacing large sections of the outside section of road up to the barrier, suggesting a shift in TM was imminent?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through in daylight hours today for the first time since early September, so got a proper look at things. Pleased to see, although virtually the entire concrete central barrier was ripped up, along with some of the gullies, much of the barrier has been redone now, apart from two or three tiny sections, the concrete is barrier is back in place from the Eastern facing slip roads at Orsett, to the Horndon Road footbridge. Still most of the barrier to go in from there to the Stanford exit. Traffic is now using the widened section of A13 through the Orsett Cock junction, with work now under in the central reservation there, and some of the concrete barrier now in place, although still a bit of barrier to go in for a short section towards the Tilbury exit. The lane closure approaching Orsett causing quite a few eastbound delays in rush hour. Some sections of the centre of the road nearest the barrier are starting to get the black top treatment, so hopefully not too long until the central barrier and associated surfacing is complete.

On the Orsett Cock roundabout, most of the shape of the new junction is now in place. Just the section from the A13 westbound exit slip, round to the A1013, to the Chadwell arm of the roundabout, that needs the kerbing installed, but work already in progress there, and they have just moved traffic on to the new widened outside part of the A13 westbound exit, so works on the inside can be completed along with the remaining kerbing work for the roundabout. Some of the barriers and preliminary signage also starting to go in. Looks like the works to the A13 entry slips in both directions are nearly complete. Just hoping it will be fully open by Christmas.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through here this evening for the first time in a few weeks, although it was (of course) dark. Looks like most works in the centre of the A13 are now complete, except for the tips of the works at both ends - West of Orsett and just past Rectory Road Bridge at one end, and immediately at the Stanford junction at the other. Even then, looks like the barrier works are complete, and it just needs the altered lane surfaced for the work in the central section to be complete. Traffic now using the centre of the road both ways except for the short section from Horndon Road bridge to the Stanford junction both ways, and briefly west of Orsett. Work now mostly taking place in lane 1, with some signage starting to go in. Looks like the final surface might already be down for a short distance West of Stanford? Looks like the only major areas of construction on the A13 now are westbound past the services, the westbound exit and entry slip at Orsett and eastbound exit slip at Orsett.

Around Orsett Cock roundabout, the splitter islands appear to be in place now, though not all surfaced. The only major kerbing work outstanding for the roundabout is coming on to the Stanford Road, past the site offices. Otherwise, apart from the lighting and signage, amongst the sea of cones, the junction layout looks complete, although still a few things to do before they can start installing the traffic lights.

Would therefore say, from the looks of it, the A13 might be open in time for Christmas, but Orsett Cock roundabout perhaps not so. There's been a lot of weekend closures lately on the A13, although very few overnight ones. Now though, it looks like they are stepping up too. Not sure if this is to push for a Christmas 'completion' date?
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Now hearing the project will not be complete until potentially the end of February, including the A13. So it looks like the project is going to take virtually twice as long as originally planned.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Went through here again this morning for the first time since November, and was surprised how little (visible) progress had been made in the run up to Christmas, especially on the Stanford to Orsett section. Most work though is currently on the section immediately to the west of the Orsett junction. Drainage and kerbing works along the edges of the road now in full swing, as this is the last area of major work left to do. A few photos are attached that someone took just before Christmas. Looks like several more weekend closures coming up between now and mid February plus quite a few overnight ones.
20220102_131808.jpg
20220102_131808.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20220102-132322_Gallery.jpg
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Runwell wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 13:21Went through here again this morning for the first time since November, and was surprised how little (visible) progress had been made
We actually went down the A13 through here yesterday as well, for me first time in probably more than a year; I was equally surprised at lack of progress, both here and further east at Benfleet Sadlers Farm as well. What with the overlong 50 restriction at Lakeside as well it really cuts into journey time on what should be a through route.

I can't see either scheme being remotely finished by February.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Well the section east of Orsett looks largely complete, but still a few areas to finish off. It's West of Orsett though that looks the main concern, and with the embankment works on the northern side of that junction, the last thing needed is a wet January. Even the Orsett roundabout hasn't visibly moved on that much, though apart from the Stanford arm of the roundabout towards the works site, the kerbing etc all appears complete. I hope when I next go through, it will at least be all but complete east of Orsett, but not holding my breath. It's already way over budget.

Sadlers Farm is a different (old) debacle altogether. Just short of a decade now since it was 'finished', and still they seem to put restrictions in every single year since for a few months to rectify the 'rush jobs' from the original scheme. The existing works are I think an extension of works started in summer 2020, when the bridge over the link road was shut over the Summer holidays to carry out works. That overran by a fortnight. When it reopened there was still a 50mph restriction on the approach to the split and through the first part of the eastbound link road, where there remained some varioguard behind the road and a stepladder of sorts next to the bridge, whilst over the bridge the seals had still not been put back in place, and were just covered up with tarpaulin or something? It was left like that until September, when they returned to work on both bridges over the link road once again, with the all too familiar lane closure returning both ways and the 50mph limit extended. However, even in weekdays daytimes, I have barely seen anybody working there, apart from the odd van here and there. Given the eastbound section often suffers long queues in the evening due to this Lane closure, I'd have hoped ECC would have been lecturing Balfour Beatty to get on with it. This particular work was due to end in mid-November, but is now scheduled until late January, and as you say, I wouldn't be surprised if that drags on. Unless there is a bigger issue uncovered with the bridges, Balfour Beatty seem to be allowed to get away with murder atm. Poor all round from ECC.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

WHBM wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 14:00
Runwell wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 13:21Went through here again this morning for the first time since November, and was surprised how little (visible) progress had been made
We actually went down the A13 through here yesterday as well, for me first time in probably more than a year; I was equally surprised at lack of progress, both here and further east at Benfleet Sadlers Farm as well.
Looking back through this thread, traffic management went in during January 2019. To say this is a project to add an extra lane to just over two miles of existing road, reconstructing four bridges, and involving no major structures, they're really making a meal of it.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

I think it was March 2019 when the full TM went in (40mph, narrow lanes). However, for a good year or so before that, there were extensive overnight lane and full road closures on the bypass for the clearance and preparation work. Throw that in, and that's about four years of disruption. Obviously Covid has been an issue, and there's been all kinds of the usual unforseen utilities troubles. However, given this was meant to be finished by the Autumn of 2020, it's a bit of a stretch to blame those factors alone for the scheme doubling in duration.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Runwell wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:40Obviously Covid has been an issue, and there's been all kinds of the usual unforseen utilities troubles. However, given this was meant to be finished by the Autumn of 2020, it's a bit of a stretch to blame those factors alone for the scheme doubling in duration.
There really shouldn't be unforeseen utilities problems - or, if there are, they shouldn't be so serious that it pushes the project 18 months behind schedule. It feels a bit like one of those episodes of Grand Designs where they decide to do without a project manager to save money and then go two years and half a million pounds over budget :laugh:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:12
Runwell wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:40Obviously Covid has been an issue, and there's been all kinds of the usual unforseen utilities troubles. However, given this was meant to be finished by the Autumn of 2020, it's a bit of a stretch to blame those factors alone for the scheme doubling in duration.
There really shouldn't be unforeseen utilities problems - or, if there are, they shouldn't be so serious that it pushes the project 18 months behind schedule. It feels a bit like one of those episodes of Grand Designs where they decide to do without a project manager to save money and then go two years and half a million pounds over budget :laugh:
Grand Designs is brilliant stuff, and that does seem to happen an awful lot.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!