M6 junction 13 to junction 15 smart motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: M6 junction 13 to junction 15 smart motorway

Post by Truvelo »

Bendo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:16 Does anyone bother using L3 in the contraflow, i tend to find you always get one numpty holding everyone up doing less than 50. Annoying with nowhere to pass, not so bad though as I tend to pass a I've elected not to use it.
When using a long contraflow I stay in whichever has two lanes regardless of whether the single lane is the fast lane. As Bendo mentions, it only takes just one numpty. The same thing happens northbound between J11-11a when you see numpties move to lane 3 at the last minute and then brake as there's something moving slower in front. This often takes place when there's no traffic in the two left lanes.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:33The same thing happens northbound between J11-11a when you see numpties move to lane 3 at the last minute and then brake as there's something moving slower in front. This often takes place when there's no traffic in the two left lanes.
That one always make me chuckle, not sure why people want to take the longest route.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Bendo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 19:51
Truvelo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:33The same thing happens northbound between J11-11a when you see numpties move to lane 3 at the last minute and then brake as there's something moving slower in front. This often takes place when there's no traffic in the two left lanes.
That one always make me chuckle, not sure why people want to take the longest route.
My Skoda satnav indicates I should use lane 3 at that point, and 4 years ago when I was using a TomTom it said the same.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Big L wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 22:29
My Skoda satnav indicates I should use lane 3 at that point, and 4 years ago when I was using a TomTom it said the same.
Google suggests the same.
jusme

Post by jusme »

Bendo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:16 Does anyone bother using L3 in the contraflow
On average I've been better off in the single lane than the two lanes on this section. Occasionally you get a numpty, but as it's L3 it's usually the faster drivers that seem to take it. So far I've had one "win", where a shunt closed the two-lane section and we sailed past a few miles of stationary traffic, and one "loss", when there was a breakdown in the single lane and was stuck for an a hour until the EAP was opened. There was also the time we got stuck behind a wide load occupying both lanes of the two-lane section - 11 miles @ 40 :x

I generally find the single lane less stressful, as there's nothing you can do. With two lanes there's usually either a snail[1] in front or a rocket[2] behind...

[1] Someone going slower than me
[2] Someone going faster than me
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Since the 14-15 contraflow started I don't think I have used the two lanes. The luxury width single lane is great, and I have zipped past several crashes/breakdowns that have been the other side of the barrier.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

I find the contraflow can get quite sluggish on a Friday afternoon, but I leave at J15 so never use it. Now there is the J13-J14 one, I had chance to use it and it does feel safer and far wider but there was a dawdler causing a jam so we all ended up doing 40mph. As I do 55 on the Speedo through the works it was annoying.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Big L wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 22:29
I've reported this as incorrect to Google for years and it no sat-nav ever gets it correct. It is why people swerve over the chevrons and is dangerous.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:33
Bendo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:16 Does anyone bother using L3 in the contraflow, i tend to find you always get one numpty holding everyone up doing less than 50. Annoying with nowhere to pass, not so bad though as I tend to pass a I've elected not to use it.
When using a long contraflow I stay in whichever has two lanes regardless of whether the single lane is the fast lane. As Bendo mentions, it only takes just one numpty. The same thing happens northbound between J11-11a when you see numpties move to lane 3 at the last minute and then brake as there's something moving slower in front. This often takes place when there's no traffic in the two left lanes.
Got caught out northbound on Saturday morning approaching J13 went into left two lanes avoiding contraflow lane, then before J14 all lanes returned to northbound carriageway, thought no more contraflow and moved into lane 3 to overtake a lorry passing a lorry, to find it started again just after J14. Within a mile stuck behind a Micra whose driver thought it was good to sit at 35 to 40 mph all the way to J15, nothing you can do, painful it was.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

jusme wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:34
Bendo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:16 Does anyone bother using L3 in the contraflow
On average I've been better off in the single lane than the two lanes on this section. Occasionally you get a numpty, but as it's L3 it's usually the faster drivers that seem to take it. So far I've had one "win", where a shunt closed the two-lane section and we sailed past a few miles of stationary traffic, and one "loss", when there was a breakdown in the single lane and was stuck for an a hour until the EAP was opened. There was also the time we got stuck behind a wide load occupying both lanes of the two-lane section - 11 miles @ 40 :x

I generally find the single lane less stressful, as there's nothing you can do. With two lanes there's usually either a snail[1] in front or a rocket[2] behind...

[1] Someone going slower than me
[2] Someone going faster than me
On the few occasions I have used this section northbound I have used the single L3.

Two reasons;

The lane is wider than the other two

I don't have HGV's up my backside when I am stuck behind Ethel and husband doing 45mph or less

I do like this new/recycled contraflow system, they do seem safer than back in the 1980's when they where all the fashion, probably as the speed limits are lower and enforced along with safer barriers, unlike some of the old contraflows that even just used cones to separate the opposing traffic flows.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

There was a switch of lanes overnight onto the central barrier side so the verge works can start at J13. But this caused a few issues this morning where it had to be held for half hour as a whole bunch of people had driven into the works exit near J13 and got stuck! They had to be reversed out and signs and cones had to be moved. I can see the issue though coming through this afternoon, it looks deceivingly like the slip road but the exit is now further along. Still stupid drivers!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

brummie_rob wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 21:08 There was a switch of lanes overnight onto the central barrier side so the verge works can start at J13. But this caused a few issues this morning where it had to be held for half hour as a whole bunch of people had driven into the works exit near J13 and got stuck! They had to be reversed out and signs and cones had to be moved. I can see the issue though coming through this afternoon, it looks deceivingly like the slip road but the exit is now further along. Still stupid drivers!
It did this before anyway, I'm sure there was a temporary sign warning that the exit was further along.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Traffic is now using the new lane one from around Yarnfield to just short of J15 which is nice. The laybays have a 'layby not finished sign' but they hadn't coned them off. I just hope that stays like it which may help the odd breakdown during the works.
rw93

Post by rw93 »

I've been really impressed with the pace of these works. It seems to all be moving along a lot faster than the 16-19 smartification did previously.
jusme

Post by jusme »

rw93 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 09:36 I've been really impressed with the pace of these works. It seems to all be moving along a lot faster than the 16-19 smartification did previously.
Is it though?
  • It's still planned to take 4 years, same as 16-19
  • There's only three junctions to do, not 4 like 16-19
  • Northbound may be nearing completion, thanks to the contraflow, but southbound works haven't even started for most of the distance.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

jusme wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 07:25
rw93 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 09:36 I've been really impressed with the pace of these works. It seems to all be moving along a lot faster than the 16-19 smartification did previously.
Is it though?
  • It's still planned to take 4 years, same as 16-19
  • There's only three junctions to do, not 4 like 16-19
  • Northbound may be nearing completion, thanks to the contraflow, but southbound works haven't even started for most of the distance.
Yes four years is the same however for most of the first year there was not continuous roadworks, there were small sections of 50mph zones at the bridges they were strengthening.

The concrete barrier is nearly done, that's probably taken a year in total. The Northbound verge works have taken about 7-8 months up to J15. I personally think Southbound will be finished from Yarnfield to J15 from Summer next year, which would mean this section is complete.

J13-J14 will be well into 2022 though as this started later so I can see them doing a phased opening instead.
jusme

Post by jusme »

More idle thoughts, prompted by watching an emergency vehicle on blues-and-twos weaving through the two-lane section of the contraflow...

What would be the right thing to do if you're bobbing along in the contraflow (single) lane and the vehicle behind fires up the blue lights?
  1. Stop? That would be dangerous, and unless they were out to arrest you, unhelpful, as they might not be able to pass.
  2. Speed up? Bad idea, unless you were driving a getaway vehicle and wanted to, er, get away... :evil:
  3. Carry on until it was safe to pull over? Seems like the right answer, but it could be many miles before getting somewhere suitable.
I would hope those concerned would have been instructed not to do this, as there is a fair chance of causing panic and reaction #1 or #2.

Personally, I would probably flash hazards to acknowledge them, then continue until it was safe to stop or pull over.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

I have seen an ambulance in the contraflow lane and people have pulled over on the wider bits (plenty of room to fit two past on some parts). I think it would be better overall if emergency vehicles stuck to the normal lanes though.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

jusme wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 13:33 More idle thoughts, prompted by watching an emergency vehicle on blues-and-twos weaving through the two-lane section of the contraflow...

What would be the right thing to do if you're bobbing along in the contraflow (single) lane and the vehicle behind fires up the blue lights?
  1. Stop? That would be dangerous, and unless they were out to arrest you, unhelpful, as they might not be able to pass.
  2. Speed up? Bad idea, unless you were driving a getaway vehicle and wanted to, er, get away... :evil:
  3. Carry on until it was safe to pull over? Seems like the right answer, but it could be many miles before getting somewhere suitable.
I would hope those concerned would have been instructed not to do this, as there is a fair chance of causing panic and reaction #1 or #2.

Personally, I would probably flash hazards to acknowledge them, then continue until it was safe to stop or pull over.
I'm sure that I've heard somewhere that emergency drivers are trained to turn off the blue lights in situations where people wouldn't be able to move out of the way safely.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

You pull over if safe to do so to let them pass, or continue at the speed limit if not safe to let them past. Sometimes they might not knock off blues but the siren is paused until they can pass.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!