M6 junction 13 to junction 15 smart motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: M6 junction 13 to junction 15 smart motorway

Post by Bryn666 »

Which is why it's just easier to drive at what the signs and your needle say rather than trying to be clever I find...

Simple really, if a driver breaks the limit they should own it if caught. The journey time saving for all that stress must be mere seconds when everything is factored in, and if they stop for a dump somewhere they've rendered it moot. For HGVs the savings are wiped out by mandatory rest breaks anyway, so riding the limiter can only be laid at the door of lazy driving.

Life's stressful enough I find without adding to it for no reason. If a roadworks 50 is that upsetting that people need to tailgate others and act like a general clown, get off the motorway and use the A roads.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

If people find driving at 55 rather than 50 is stressful they probably shouldn't drive.
JF2309

Post by JF2309 »

Bendo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 If people find driving at 55 rather than 50 is stressful they probably shouldn't drive.
Entirely missing the point. Well played.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

We went up the entire M6 from J11a (and of the Toll) to Glasgow on Friday 13th (!) and returned yesterday (21st).

The widened bits between Brum and Manchester are nice, the widening works (four years??!!) are a little dull and we get to do it all over again for Hogmanay. J17-J19 is claiming March 2019, I believe.

On the way back yesterday, we eschewed the M6 Toll and ran down the old M6 to the RAC building then took the M5 (to renew an old acquaintance with Frankley services (which were just as dire, southbound, as we remembered from 15 years ago). The M42 under Birmingham was a pleasant cruise. The money saved on the Toll funded two coffees at Frankley.

But the highlight was a 30 (yes, THIRTY) mph limit on the viaduct rebuild south from J1; thank heavens for cruise control and it was interesting that EVERYONE obeyed.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 16:47
But the highlight was a 30 (yes, THIRTY) mph limit on the viaduct rebuild south from J1; thank heavens for cruise control and it was interesting that EVERYONE obeyed.
Very few people disobey the 30mph limit compared to the 50mph work zones. I set cruise to 33mph along here just so I can over-take the lorries (who rarely exceed the 30mph limit). Occasionally you see people doing 40mph or so but they usually get stuck as it is two lanes.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Last this I was heading South in that 30,there was a car hogging L2 a short way behind me, we were both probably doing 33. A car behind the one in L2 decided to undertake the lane hogger then returned to L2 to pass me. I then had a little chuckle to myself as the lane hogger sped up with a load of blue lights now illuminated on its front. It drew level with the now slowed down undertaker then returned to cruising. I expected he might get a tug at the end of the works but nothing happend.
Benny

Post by Benny »

I thought entrapment was a crime :lol:
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

HE press release

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/800- ... -operation

800 tonne M6 bridge to bite the dust in major 24-hour operation
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Aren't there a few bridges with that same design... won't this mean they need replacing rather than just removal like this redundant structure?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 18:55 Aren't there a few bridges with that same design... won't this mean they need replacing rather than just removal like this redundant structure?
The press release is a bit contradictory. It says the bridge is redundant but goes on to say it's replacement will carry existing rights of way. Perhaps it's going to be replaced with a footbridge?

Of course, if other bridge need replacing then it would be folly not to make them wide enough to carry four lanes plus hard shoulder.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Unless they have structural issues I imagine they'll just put four lanes through the other bridges. Looking at that photo I think they could squeeze four lanes through that bridge if they wanted, but why bother if it's redundant?
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jackal wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 20:15 Unless they have structural issues I imagine they'll just put four lanes through the other bridges. Looking at that photo I think they could squeeze four lanes through that bridge if they wanted, but why bother if it's redundant?
Reading the press release it's just at the north taper at junction 14 so demolition should allow compliant merge/diverge layouts or at least fewer departures.
Nice to see the SI double decker bus unit of weight being used again, just a shame the volume measure of Wembley Stadium couldn't get in on the act.😄
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardA35 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 20:45
jackal wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 20:15 Unless they have structural issues I imagine they'll just put four lanes through the other bridges. Looking at that photo I think they could squeeze four lanes through that bridge if they wanted, but why bother if it's redundant?
Reading the press release it's just at the north taper at junction 14 so demolition should allow compliant merge/diverge layouts or at least fewer departures.
Nice to see the SI double decker bus unit of weight being used again, just a shame the volume measure of Wembley Stadium couldn't get in on the act.😄
I thought it was Olympic sized swimming pools for volume?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 21:31I thought it was Olympic sized swimming pools for volume?
The projects I have been dealing with recently are a whole order of magnitude larger...🙂
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

The scheduled closure seems shorter than usual but I guess that is because they will take it away in one piece. Would love to see the abnormal load for that!

Progress on the central reservation is proceeding at what I think is a speedier pace than any other smart project I've seen before. They have already excavated and laid a base layer in some sections though work was slightly more behind near J15 as the TM wasn't installed until later on.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 21:31
RichardA35 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 20:45
I thought it was Olympic sized swimming pools for volume?
… but Wembley would trigger the argument - 1920s or 2000s?? I certainly appreciate the larger seat size at the new Wembley stadium, having finished the 1985 Queen concert in agony with jammed knees etc.

Somehow, it seems that everything is getting bigger - then we drove down the M50 en-route to Swansea and reminded ourselves of how neat the original British motorways were. Inadequate now, but neat then.

Plus ca change.
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

A reminder about the closure of the M6 between Junctions 14 and 15 this weekend:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m6-b ... is-weekend
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

Is that the bridge I used to call “the tatty bridge” just south of J15, with what looks like a gate halfway across it?

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Sabrista wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 23:03 Is that the bridge I used to call “the tatty bridge” just south of J15, with what looks like a gate halfway across it?

Serena
Think it's the one immediately north of j14.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Sabrista wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 23:03 Is that the bridge I used to call “the tatty bridge” just south of J15, with what looks like a gate halfway across it?

Serena
No, that is close to J15, the old access to the Trentham estate. This bridge leads to the Argos distribution centre which presumably 20 years ago was the farmers field. This will be the first of two bridge demolitions for this project.

I'll be interested to see if they manage it within 12 hours. If it goes later in Sunday it will cause issues. Pleased to see on the whole though some swift progress with the central reservation works, hope the whole project is kept in a timely manner.