Hard Ings Road A650

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Hard Ings Road A650

Post by wrinkly »

Hard Ings Road, Keighley, (A650) is a half-mile stretch of quasi-urban single carriageway in the middle of a 9-mile stretch of modern dual carriageway on the Bradford-Skipton-M6 J36 (once Doncaster-Kendal) former trunk road.

A scheme to dual it was in the trunk road programme in the 1990s but was dropped in the 1998 review (see the current thread on that review). The entire route from Bradford to M6 J36 was detrunked and several other schemes on it were also dropped, though one, the Bingley relief road, went ahead.

While browsing the London Gazete website just now I came across this notice, which shows that there is now a local authority scheme to widen Hard Ings Road. A search found this page about it, which includes a link to a scheme plan.
jackal

Re: Hard Ings Road A650

Post by jackal »

Nice find! It fits in with the recent 'talks... between Bradford Council and Transport for the North (TfN) about the possibility of extending the M65 from Colne, where it currently ends, into the Keighley area' (source here, discussion here).
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

There's zero chance of the M65 going east. I reckon a bog standard D2 at best; remember the M65 isn't even trunk at that end and HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like Shipley.

Colne to the A59 needs a bypass urgently along with minor improvements through to Skipton. If the A59/A65/A660 and A6068/A650 routes were both done the need for a motorway is massively reduced.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Bryn666 wrote:HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like Shipley.
When Bradford Council inherited responsibility for the road through Shipley on detrunking, they briefly considered it and resolved to postpone further consideration for ten years - a clear recognition of the difficulty.

Come to think of it maybe that's why Hard Ings Road is coming up now. Maybe that was included in the postponement.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: If the A59/A65/A660 and A6068/A650 routes were both done the need for a motorway is massively reduced.
I'd imagine that dualling of the A65-A660 would also necessitate dualling of the A6120 between the 'airport' roundabout and the M1. Some of it is only single carriageway, and dreadful at peak times. A pair of GSJs where the A64 joins and leaves would also be worthwhile.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Blimey, this scheme see the light of day yet again! For anyone who didn't press the link to the Bradford Council map here it is..
Bfd. Council plan to widen Hard Ings Rd. Keighley
Bfd. Council plan to widen Hard Ings Rd. Keighley
Also, it is worth noting that the original plans for the M650 were to have the road bypassing the town further north by the River Aire. I can't remember if the road was to pass either north or south of the river and whether its course needed to diverted as part of the plans? Please see map scan courtesy of; http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m650/
Line of unbuilt M650 bypassing the town further north
Line of unbuilt M650 bypassing the town further north
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Incidentally, part of the existing single carriageway is relatively modern, dating from about 1967 if I remember correctly. Previously (as the old 1" or 1:25k on SABRE Maps shows) traffic between Bradford and Skipton had to divert south to go through the centre of Keighley. It is an example of a bypass which shortened the route.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Bryn666 wrote:There's zero chance of the M65 going east. I reckon a bog standard D2 at best; remember the M65 isn't even trunk at that end and HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like Shipley.
There is a consensus across the region for improved East-West connectivity in the 'Central Trans-Pennine Corridor', as supported by the recent study for the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership, West Yorkshire Combined Authority, and the York-North Yorkshire-East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership. The two main interventions being looked at are the Colne to Skipton rail line and the M65 extension. If there is strong political support for an extended M65, which there certainly seems to be (see here and here), that's what will happen. HE have no power to refuse - and why would they want to if the M65 was being turned from a dead end into a full trans-Pennine route?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The 1960s or 70s proposal for a motorway through the Aire Valley was defeated after a struggle which was one of the biggest seen in those days. Any attempt to resurrect it would probably face an even bigger fight today.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

jackal wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:There's zero chance of the M65 going east. I reckon a bog standard D2 at best; remember the M65 isn't even trunk at that end and HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like Shipley.
There is a consensus across the region for improved East-West connectivity in the 'Central Trans-Pennine Corridor', as supported by the recent study for the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership, West Yorkshire Combined Authority, and the York-North Yorkshire-East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership. The two main interventions being looked at are the Colne to Skipton rail line and the M65 extension. If there is strong political support for an extended M65, which there certainly seems to be (see here and here), that's what will happen. HE have no power to refuse - and why would they want to if the M65 was being turned from a dead end into a full trans-Pennine route?
Thats music to my ears hearing of a new (or extended in this case), motorway in England, of substantial length too!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
jackal

Post by jackal »

I've probably taken this thread off topic enough already so will continue in the M65 thread.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

wrinkly wrote:The 1960s or 70s proposal for a motorway through the Aire Valley was defeated after a struggle which was one of the biggest seen in those days. Any attempt to resurrect it would probably face an even bigger fight today.
Which is why it won't happen. Building the Lancashire sections was fraught enough with some of the first public inquiries into road schemes originating here.

The M65 through or around Blackburn was originally such a controversial issue that it was cancelled in 1980 and didn't reappear for 7 years and even then as all purpose prior to being redesignated as a motorway shortly after.

Politicians can support it all they want but there are plenty of locals who will fight to kill it off.

I'm no opponent of the M65 being extended but it will not happen. Peat moorland and highly urbanised valleys are not welcoming places for motorways. The Bingley Bypass was a fight in itself, you would have that in Glusburn, Cross Flats, Crawshawbooth, and Colne itself where the A56 route has been on and off like a faulty light because of local opposition.

Hard Ings will be done because it is an obvious gap in the D2.
Bryn

jackal

Post by jackal »

Not exactly sticking your neck out there given Hard Ings Road has made orders :wink:

We'll see about the M65 extension, but my sense is that defeatism is misplaced in the current environment of political support and VED hypothecation.
Last edited by jackal on Sat May 06, 2017 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The inability to get the M65 finished really is more political than financial. I've spent a long time researching the background to this road.
Bryn

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

jackal wrote:Not exactly sticking your neck out there given Hard Ings Road has made orders :wink:
The terminology is confusing. "Made" orders for a local authority project are not the same as "made" orders used to be (or in Wales and Scotland, still are) for a trunk road project. They still have to be confirmed by the minister and can still provoke a public inquiry (or two, as with the Lincoln eastern bypass).

However in this case I expect it will go ahead as it's a very modest scheme, partly S4.

Thare's a slightly larger scale plan than the one posted by Jim - it's at this link:

https://www.bradford.gov.uk/Documents/H ... 20plan.pdf
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I'd imagine that dualling of the A65-A660 would also necessitate dualling of the A6120 between the 'airport' roundabout and the M1. Some of it is only single carriageway, and dreadful at peak times. A pair of GSJs where the A64 joins and leaves would also be worthwhile.
Just to pick up on this comment, part of the A6120 is getting dualled very soon, the section from Just north of the A58 right down to the M1 will be bypassed by a new dual carriageway, although as you mentioned GSJ's would be great at the A64 but sadly its Just roundabouts, it will basically bypass Seacroft and Crossgates and will meet the A64 near Thorner Lane so will get rid of the currant multiplex at Seacroft. But as mentioned it will have many roundabouts, a 50mph limit throughout and a very messy Junction with the M1, the whole reason for the new A6120 is for the massive development of east Leeds so it will Just become full of traffic.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Bryn666 wrote:There's zero chance of the M65 going east. I reckon a bog standard D2 at best; remember the M65 isn't even trunk at that end and HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like
I wasn't aware that not all motorways were trunk roads. I know about the Special Road term, but thought that the whole motorway network was HE?
Which others aren't trunk?
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

guvvaA303 wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:There's zero chance of the M65 going east. I reckon a bog standard D2 at best; remember the M65 isn't even trunk at that end and HE aren't going to take over it whilst it involves expensive problems like
I wasn't aware that not all motorways were trunk roads. I know about the Special Road term, but thought that the whole motorway network was HE?
City centre motorways like the A57(M), A58(M), A167(M), and a few others like the M275. The eastern part of the M65 is the longest local authority motorway and is itself only ten miles or so.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Chris5156 wrote:
guvvaA303 wrote:
City centre motorways like the A57(M), A58(M), A167(M), and a few others like the M275. The eastern part of the M65 is the longest local authority motorway and is itself only ten miles or so.
Interesting I had also thought that motorways were the sole responsibility of HE (or whatever the equivalent in Wales, Scot and NI is).

I guess the inner city ones are isolated from the rest of the network though, so it would be hard to use them as a though route!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Jim606 wrote:Please see map scan courtesy of; http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m650/M650 (plan) Keighley.gif
It would be nice to see that northern leg of the A629 renumbered to be the final leg of the A650 once the gap is filled. Once it's all dual it becomes the logical continuation of the A650, not the squiggly town-centre A629.