A6 Broughton Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ScottB5411

Re: A6 Broughton Bypass

Post by ScottB5411 »

Bryn666 wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:Of course until limits we deregulated, all the major routes into, out of and around Preston were 40mph, if not 50 in some cases. Quite amusingly, that's the speed most people still travel at, fancy that.....
The only one that I can think of that was reduced was Garstang Road and that was years and years ago.

The B6241 is still 40, the Ashton Bypass is still 50, Brockholes Brow is still 40 despite the lanes being narrower than a car.

Was London Road ever higher than 30 then? It's now got SPECS so good luck speeding there ;-)
Ashton bypass was NSL, B6241 was also NSL from just after Tulketh Brow to Cottam when it opened, London road was 40 from Frenchwood Avenue. Blackpool Road was 40 for it's entire length, Woodplumpton Road (B5411) was 40 from the canal bridge just after Lane Ends until 1991. Strand Road was 40, the A59 was 40 which started at Strand Road, Longridge Road was also 40 after Blackpool Road (the B6243) and switched to NSL after Gamull Lane u til the roundabout was put in at Redscar. Brockholes was NSL to the top of the hill, then 40 to the A5085 roundabout, where New Hall Lane became 30 but the A5085 remained 40
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

ScottB5411 wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:Unlikely. It would have at best had a three lane configuration given the A6 either side is constrained.
It could still have been a fully freeflow S2 or S3 road.
OK, we know you would rather have a fully grade separated by-pass, as you keep saying over and over. Others disagree and are entitled to, please, move on and stop trying to derail the thread.
I meant if it had been built years ago, but yes we will move on.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

On a quickie note at least the directional signing on the new bypass is all consistent and correct, with a fully compliant Guildford–Rules sign for the M55 Motorway Roundabout – correct black route symbol on a white background with the correct chopsticks on the Motorway Panels – LCC have a habit of missing chopsticks off M'way panels in places!

Chris Williams
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

I'm looking forward to having a nosey at Christmas when we're visiting mum :-)
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Thanks to a post on another Topic, I see the bypass is on Google Streetview now. I haven't been up that way for nearly 2 years now thanks to Covid but how on the earth did this get through a RSA.

Surely it does not comply with the TSRGD of TSM.

It does beggar belief why we do RSA's sometimes and why the 40mph limit.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A303Chris wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 14:20 Thanks to a post on another Topic, I see the bypass is on Google Streetview now. I haven't been up that way for nearly 2 years now thanks to Covid but how on the earth did this get through a RSA.

Surely it does not comply with the TSRGD of TSM.

It does beggar belief why we do RSA's sometimes and why the 40mph limit.
The alignment really doesn't encourage much above 40, truth be told. However there's no excuse for that cycle lane.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Not considering the cycle lane is on the pavement and the route to the road-based cycle lane involves jumping a barrier... WTH?!