A6 Broughton Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Re: A6 Broughton Bypass

Post by Jeni »

lotrjw wrote: Or check out my new suggestion on my previous post to this.
How do you propose to pay for your outright fantasy, never going to be built, completely pointless idea?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

lotrjw wrote:Did I say make it a motorway? Its what 500 metres to go up to the next roundabout and back and would take 1-2 minuets of a busses time on a fast road.
You might want to try travelling on a bus or consulting with its users before making a suggestion like this.

Let's not derail this thread with solutions to problems which don't exist.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Jeni wrote:
How do you propose to pay for your outright fantasy, never going to be built, completely pointless idea?
Forget the bridge idea, the point that the old section and the new section join are so close to the M56 roundabout, about 70 metres, that a slightly extended M56 roundabout and the old A6 joining separate to the new A6 could have been done.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

lotrjw wrote:
Jeni wrote:
Forget the bridge idea, the point that the old section and the new section join are so close to the M56 roundabout, about 70 metres, that a slightly extended M56 roundabout and the old A6 joining separate to the new A6 could have been done.
This is more than "slightly extended", you're doubling, probably even tripling the size of the roundabout, and you're adding a 5th exit/entry to an already heavily congested roundabout.

Again, where do you propose to get the funds from for this, and what *actual* benefit would it have other than pure fantasy?
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Jeni wrote:Surprise surprise, I was there...

Knew I should have checked on here before going over there after work! :laugh:
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Was just watching the opening on an online video, some old guy who has lived in the village for 80 years and said he has waited 80 years for this bypass, what didn't seemed to be mentioned was that broughton was effectively bypassed with the building of the M6, this latest scheme now removes the local traffic on the A6 so you could say it's the second bypass.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Jeni wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Jeni wrote:
This is more than "slightly extended", you're doubling, probably even tripling the size of the roundabout, and you're adding a 5th exit/entry to an already heavily congested roundabout.

Again, where do you propose to get the funds from for this, and what *actual* benefit would it have other than pure fantasy?
Im only suggesting the roundabout go about 20 metres out northwards, then extend the old road down west of the new to meet the roundabout. I would have also not made any roundabouts on the new route and instead grade separated the route with the northern end of the old route closed. That would have allowed all traffic in and out of Broughton to be entirely separated from the new A6 which would then have been freeflow from the M56 roundabout up to Newsham.

Obviously now its built changing it would be too expensive, but if designing it from scratch thats what I would have done.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

lotrjw wrote: Im only suggesting the roundabout go about 20 metres out northwards, then extend the old road down west of the new to meet the roundabout. I would have also not made any roundabouts on the new route and instead grade separated the route with the northern end of the old route closed. That would have allowed all traffic in and out of Broughton to be entirely separated from the new A6 which would then have been freeflow from the M56 roundabout up to Newsham.

Obviously now its built changing it would be too expensive, but if designing it from scratch thats what I would have done.
Wait, you're now suggesting that the A6 should have been entirely grade separated around Broughton?! Why? What benefit would it gain? Where will the money come from? (A question I keep asking, but you never answer)
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Jeni wrote:
lotrjw wrote: Im only suggesting the roundabout go about 20 metres out northwards, then extend the old road down west of the new to meet the roundabout. I would have also not made any roundabouts on the new route and instead grade separated the route with the northern end of the old route closed. That would have allowed all traffic in and out of Broughton to be entirely separated from the new A6 which would then have been freeflow from the M56 roundabout up to Newsham.

Wait, you're now suggesting that the A6 should have been entirely grade separated around Broughton?! Why? What benefit would it gain? Where will the money come from? (A question I keep asking, but you never answer)
Contrary to popular belief, Im sure the government could build any roads it wanted, with the constraints being more environmental than monetary.
As I have suggested elsewhere, I think VED should be only for roads and funded direct from there.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

lotrjw wrote: Contrary to popular belief, Im sure the government could build any roads it wanted, with the constraints being more environmental than monetary.
As I have suggested elsewhere, I think VED should be only for roads and funded direct from there.
And I'm 100% sure the government *couldn't* build any road it wanted, because I live in the real world.

And I'm glad they couldn't, because then we'd end up with ridiculous roads like a grade separated Broughton Bypass, or an extension of the M9 to John o Groats.
Last edited by Jeni on Thu Oct 05, 2017 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Yet another thread derailed by this madness.
lotrjw wrote:As I have suggested elsewhere, I think VED should be only for roads and funded direct from there.
Please can we have a debate where we are dealing with the facts? It was announced in the spring 2015 budget that VED will be ringfenced for roads spending by 2020. But even then it will not be spent on such patently daft things as a one-way flyover across a non-primary road carrying only buses from a small town.

The motorway south of Broughton is the M55, not the M56.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Chris5156 wrote:Yet another thread derailed by this madness.
lotrjw wrote:As I have suggested elsewhere, I think VED should be only for roads and funded direct from there.
Please can we have a debate where we are dealing with the facts? It was announced in the spring 2015 budget that VED will be ringfenced for roads spending by 2020. But even then it will not be spent on such patently daft things as a one-way flyover across a non-primary road carrying only buses from a small town.

The motorway south of Broughton is the M55, not the M56.
Sorry meant M55.

I came up with a better idea than the 'bus bridge over the bypass' option.
Im sure it would be spent on some good things, like first resurfacing a lot of roads that have been neglected hopefully! They are awful to drive on when full of pot holes, which Im sure everyone can agree with.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Or we could just have what's built because it has no negative effect on anyone and helps bus journey times... just a thought.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Bryn666 wrote:Or we could just have what's built because it has no negative effect on anyone and helps bus journey times... just a thought.
Exactly
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

lotrjw wrote:
Jeni wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, Im sure the government could build any roads it wanted, with the constraints being more environmental than monetary.
Which hasn't happened since 1936! What's going to happen with the rest of the country whilst you ring fence VED??
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Bryn666 wrote:Or we could just have what's built because it has no negative effect on anyone and helps bus journey times... just a thought.
I think people should be grateful they're getting any upgrades at all, honestly.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

An interesting design decision is the fact the road is unlit between junctions, despite the entire A6 between Adlington and Carnforth being lit. This is a very short length to not light, especially given it's D2. Wonder what RSA3 will say?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Arcuarius wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Jeni wrote:
Which hasn't happened since 1936! What's going to happen with the rest of the country whilst you ring fence VED??
You mean how will it be funded, well I have ideas but that would take the thread way off topic so best not!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

According to Jeni's video the speed limit is 40 throughout? What is the compliance? 30 years ago it would have been NSL, 15 years ago it would have been 50. Is 40 the now standard limit for short bypasses without no property frontages :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Truvelo wrote:According to Jeni's video the speed limit is 40 throughout? What is the compliance? 30 years ago it would have been NSL, 15 years ago it would have been 50. Is 40 the now standard limit for short bypasses without no property frontages :@
40mph! that is low! But I guess this is for a road thats considered close enough to developed areas?