Shortest speed limit

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

kc1

Shortest speed limit

Post by kc1 »

Let's start with this. I imagine there will be plenty of others!
https://goo.gl/maps/K25whJ4h9yR2
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Shortest speed limit

Post by Owain »

kc1 wrote:Let's start with this. I imagine there will be plenty of others!
The other remarkable thing is that the main road is a B road with 4 lanes! It was obviously once the A77, but still quite unusual.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

WOW I wonder what the reason is for that? I know of a few roundabouts which have 30mph limits on them and NSL either side due to pedestrian crossings at each side of the roundabout.
(A523 The Silk Road)
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I started a similar topic last year - there are a few examples there.
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

It strikes me that regardless of the posted limit it would be nigh on impossible for a responsible driver to exceed 40 on that little stretch anyway, given its proximity to the junction.
Fahad
SABRE Developer

Post by Fahad »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47279 ... 312!8i6656

This one is caused by a forgotten roadsign - challenge accepted :D
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

I can't quote precise locations but I have seen a couple of cases recently where permanent speed limit signs haven't been covered where temporary limits have been imposed. In one case I glanced down a turning to see a temporary 50 followed by an NSL sign followed by a temporary 50 repeater.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

ellandback wrote:It strikes me that regardless of the posted limit it would be nigh on impossible for a responsible driver to exceed 40 on that little stretch anyway, given its proximity to the junction.
Depends on what you're driving. My burgundy beast which has now gone to car heaven went from 30 to 70 in a flash! :D

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Reading

Post by Reading »

Fahad wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.47279 ... 312!8i6656

This one is caused by a forgotten roadsign - challenge accepted :D
Even better if you scroll right there is a 20mph
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I "travelled" up and down the road and the 40 mph speed limit signs vanished. I checked the dates and it appears that I was driving a Tradis: in 2010 the 40 mph signs were not there, but had appeared by 2016.
scragend

Post by scragend »

This one's not as short as the OP, but I wonder what the point of it is.

Gorsey Lane is a 50 limit for a long stretch up to this point (presumably it was NSL at one point then reduced). Here it goes up to NSL, but just round the next bend it's 30. Why bother with the NSL bit, why not just run the 50 up to where it becomes 30?

And you can't really see it in the GSV here, but when you're actually there you can see three different limit signs ahead of you, 50 - 30 - 40. A 50 repeater as you approach the junction, 30 across the junction and then 40 immediately afterwards.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

scragend wrote:This one's not as short as the OP, but I wonder what the point of it is.

Gorsey Lane is a 50 limit for a long stretch up to this point (presumably it was NSL at one point then reduced). Here it goes up to NSL, but just round the next bend it's 30. Why bother with the NSL bit, why not just run the 50 up to where it becomes 30?
Change of local authority?
scragend

Post by scragend »

AndyB wrote:
scragend wrote:This one's not as short as the OP, but I wonder what the point of it is.

Change of local authority?
Ah, probably. (St. Helens > Warrington.) There's no sign to indicate it but it makes sense.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

They obviously took the main road down from 40MPH to 30MPH, but the new order didn't cover the side street. So the side street still has the small 40MPH stub left over!
They should have either put the 30MPH order up to the NSL bit, or took the NSL bit up to the new 30MPH bit.
I doubt people will speed on that bit though, even though many will ignore it and start speeding up to whatever is safe for that stretch of road. The other way people will be slowing for the junction anyway, so won't be likely to speed there either.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

And you can't really see it in the GSV here, but when you're actually there you can see three different limit signs ahead of you, 50 - 30 - 40. A 50 repeater as you approach the junction, 30 across the junction and then 40 immediately afterwards.
I imagine that the whole road was NSL at one time and that the 50MPH limit and the 30MPH limit were different orders assigned at different times, leaving the short stretch of NSL in between.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

There's this in Newport. The same thing happens the other way too.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Beardy5632 wrote:There's this in Newport. The same thing happens the other way too.
Ah the highly political 20MPH orders! The bit thats now 20MPH was obviously 30MPH, but some idiot politicians decided that they thought 20MPH looked better! I bet few actually obey it!
doebag

Post by doebag »

B1050 at Longstanton, near the new Northstowe development.
If you take the first exit off the roundabout, the 30 limit starts under the tree just past the lighting column. Probably about 170/180 metres in length.

https://goo.gl/maps/1SmQFLSdx2H2
ardeninian

Post by ardeninian »

This one's always struck me as particularly short. And particularly useless as a buffer zone.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

poshbakerloo wrote:
WOW I wonder what the reason is for that?
The reason appears to be because the main road was 40 before being cut to 30. The speed limit order didn't include the side road. The obvious solution would be to revoke the 40mph limit on the side road as well which is what should have been done :@

I suspect there's many similar examples around the country of botched speed limit orders.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.