M20 junctions 3 to 5: smart motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

M20 junctions 3 to 5: smart motorway

Post by jackal »

This scheme will convert the hard shoulder to a running lane between the M26 and C/D lane section near Maidstone. Exhibitions are running next month, with construction to start in March 2018.

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/m ... -motorway/
ColinB

Re: M20 junctions 3 to 5: smart motorway

Post by ColinB »

I understand that at J4 there will be a lane drop EB but not WB. Any idea why the asymmetry?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

ColinB wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:14 I understand that at J4 there will be a lane drop EB but not WB. Any idea why the asymmetry?
Something to do with traffic volumes? WB is heading towards the M25, M26 & London while EB is heading away from that and towards more sparsely populated areas.
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I hope it is to do with traffic volumes. But in most places over the course of a day there is as much traffic in one direction as the other. So I'm surprised that a lane drop is considered necessary in one direction only.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

The M20 especially in the evening peak is stop/start between J3-5 as the industrial estates in the vicinity of J4 and 5 (New Hythe, Kings Hill and Quarry Wood) and further afield Paddock Wood and Tonbridge, empty between 4pm and 6pm. Having a lane drop/gain eastbound hopefully will mean less traffic queueing back onto the J4 roundabout. Westbound generally flows better as traffic has plenty of distribution away from J5 and J4
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

This appeared today in my GOV Uk update that Part I of the Land Compensation Act 1973 claims can now be made as the scheme was open to public traffic on the 31st March 2020.

Obviously with lockdown this has passed under the radar
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 This appeared today in my GOV Uk update that Part I of the Land Compensation Act 1973 claims can now be made as the scheme was open to public traffic on the 31st March 2020.

Obviously with lockdown this has passed under the radar
Interesting wording because the M20 smart motorway project is, of course, still ongoing with a mandatory 40mph speed limit.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

This is now open to 4 lanes each way albeit with a 50mph limit- since 2nd April.

a couple of observations.

needs a couple more refuge areas especially Westbound 5 is not enough even though its a relatively short smart Motorway scheme at 6 miles long.
East street footbridge is still awaiting replacement.
The surface of lanes 2 and 3 is really bad in places although some of it is being redone overnight.

Once Lockdown is over and traffic levels return to near normal levels and once all the technology systems have been tested and VSL/NSL is restored it'll face it's true test