Scottish motorways....

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gav

Scottish motorways....

Post by Gav »

M74.jpg
Amazing...

M74 upgrades... coming home yesterday I decided to go down the M74 to the Raith and then up the A725 instead of my usual M74 M73 then M8.....

I was interested to note, D4M on M74 from M73 junction heading south. then there is a lane drop for Bothwell Services, lane gain after services for short length then lane peels off for the Raith. unusual to see a lane drop at a service station.

Oh and ayone noticed that it looks like there is no emergency phone provision on the new M8 ?
k.jpg
GrahameCase

Re: Scottish motorways....

Post by GrahameCase »

Yes , no ERTs - I'm not sure if it's because the running of the new M8 improvements is being done by the consortium who built it - or just they've not been installed
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
Gav

Post by Gav »

I do find it strange there are no emergency phones on the M8, and this is compunded by the outer carriageways preventing people leaving the area of a breakdown.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

One thing I found odd was that if you find yourself at the south end of the Queensferry crossing there's no signage for "The South", and it's not until the M8/A725 Junction that Carlisle makes an appearance.
Built for comfort, not speed.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

rhyds wrote:One thing I found odd was that if you find yourself at the south end of the Queensferry crossing there's no signage for "The South", and it's not until the M8/A725 Junction that Carlisle makes an appearance.
True you are just looking for Edinburgh or Glasgow, Berwick doesn't even make an appearance until you get on the A720!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

lotrjw wrote:
rhyds wrote:One thing I found odd was that if you find yourself at the south end of the Queensferry crossing there's no signage for "The South", and it's not until the M8/A725 Junction that Carlisle makes an appearance.
True you are just looking for Edinburgh or Glasgow, Berwick doesn't even make an appearance until you get on the A720!
When I watched a recent YouTube video recently, I noticed that there is a new sign on the westbound M8 near Livingston "For Carlisle follow Glasgow".
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
When I watched a recent YouTube video recently, I noticed that there is a new sign on the westbound M8 near Livingston "For Carlisle follow Glasgow".
No sign for Berwick on the Eastbound though! I understand that Scotland is very patriotic and thats a very good thing, but their roads do connect to England, so their road signs need to reflect that interconnectivity. Even signing 'ENGLAND' would be something. They could sign that from the M90 for both the M8 and the A720/A1.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Robert Kilcoyne

lotrjw wrote:
No sign for Berwick on the Eastbound though! I understand that Scotland is very patriotic and thats a very good thing, but their roads do connect to England, so their road signs need to reflect that interconnectivity. Even signing 'ENGLAND' would be something. They could sign that from the M90 for both the M8 and the A720/A1.
At the M9 / M8 merge, I would sign Edinburgh, Berwick (A720, A1) for eastbound M8 traffic, and Glasgow, Livingston, Carlisle (M74) for westbound M8 traffic. I would think that traditionally traffic heading from Fife towards Carlisle would have used either the M8 eastbound, A720, A702 and A74(M) or even the A720, A68, A6091 and A7, but the recent improvements to the M74, M8 and the Raith interchange make the M8 / A725 / M74 route a more viable option from the Queensferry Crossing and Fife to Carlisle.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:When I watched a recent YouTube video recently, I noticed that there is a new sign on the westbound M8 near Livingston "For Carlisle follow Glasgow".
There was (and quite possibly still is) a small For Carlisle follow Glasgow sign just before the Forth Road Bridge, heading southbound. I don't know if there's a similar sign before (or after) the Queensferry Crossing.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

orudge wrote:
Robert Kilcoyne wrote:When I watched a recent YouTube video recently, I noticed that there is a new sign on the westbound M8 near Livingston "For Carlisle follow Glasgow".
There was (and quite possibly still is) a small For Carlisle follow Glasgow sign just before the Forth Road Bridge, heading southbound. I don't know if there's a similar sign before (or after) the Queensferry Crossing.
The sign that Robert mentions is the first mention of Carlisle/the South I recall seeing, there was no similar signage to the one you've linked to on the QC.
Built for comfort, not speed.
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Isent there a Carlisle sign just south of Stirling ? Berwick is signed aat Hermiston Gait .
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

scott125 wrote:Isent there a Carlisle sign just south of Stirling ? Berwick is signed aat Hermiston Gait .
Yes, if you head down the M9/M80 you start to see Carlisle signs (possibly only once you get onto the M80 I think).
Robert Kilcoyne

orudge wrote:
scott125 wrote:Isent there a Carlisle sign just south of Stirling ? Berwick is signed aat Hermiston Gait .
Yes, if you head down the M9/M80 you start to see Carlisle signs (possibly only once you get onto the M80 I think).
Carlisle is initially signposted as a forward destination on the M80 at M9 Junction 9 southbound (Pirnhall), where the M80 takes the mainline and the M9 has to TOTSO.