Incorrectly signed road...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Osthagen

Re: Incorrectly signed road...

Post by Osthagen »

Last time I checked, there were still signs in & around Perth that refer to the M90 Eastern Spur as the M85.

There are also signs in Leeds that imply the M1 to be directly accessible from the city centre. Obviously, a leftover from when the eastern half of the M621 was a part of the M1.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

McNessA720 wrote:Last time I checked, there were still signs in & around Perth that refer to the M90 Eastern Spur as the M85.
Indeed - if you look at the previous page of this thread, you'll see they've been mentioned by lotrjw.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Checked the other night, the junction in Newport still hasn't been updated since the A914 and A92 swapped routes.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.44011 ... 6656?hl=en
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Jamesabout29 wrote:A couple I can think of in Basildon, both at the same junction between the A132 and A1235.
On one sign, the A1235 is signed as the A1325, and another sign has the much less forgivable error of the A132 being signed as the A232!!
And also on the A132, as you leave Wickford in the direction of Basildon, the sign states 'Basildon A176'. Given it also states 'Southend 15 1/2', it wouldn't surprise me if this sign was supposed to be erected as you leave Billericay, not Wickford!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

There are (or at least were) signs on the A199 around East Linton that erroneously refer to the road by its old number, A1.

Are there any signs on the A167 that refer to the road as A1?
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Bangor

Post by Bangor »

This sign has no reference on it to the road on which we're travelling (A470).
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Arcuarius wrote:Oops...

(It was actually designed correctly by the contractor; I know that for a fact...)
This one has now been corrected and reads A146.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

roadphotos wrote:
Arcuarius wrote:Oops...

(It was actually designed correctly by the contractor; I know that for a fact...)
This one has now been corrected and reads A146.
Only problem is that the A47 has now been extended to Lowestoft...
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The sign on the northbound slip road at junction 10 of the M23 reads Crawley A264 as the first left at the roundabout but the road is actually the A2011.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

New signs on the A4177 say Warwick (A41) even though the A41 hasn't existed in the area since the M40 was constructed in the early 1990s.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

All of the signs on the A120 on approach to and at the junction south of Great Dunmow say B184 as the road at the junction but the only road here is the B1008. The B1008 to Great Dunmow used to be the B184 but when the road number was changed to the B1008 only the signs on the local road network were changed. The signs on the main trunk road (the A120) were left the same so now we have the ridiculous situation where the signs on the A120 are incorrect but the road number changes to the B1008 (the correct number) once you've exited at the junction.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

This one has to be my all time favourite. The signs on the M20 on approach to and at junction 13 say Folkestone A20 for the road at the exit but there's no A20 once you've exited at the junction. The roads to Folkestone are the A259 and the A2034. This must surely be the only motorway junction where the only numbered road on the signs is a road that doesn't exist once you've exited at the junction.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

roadphotos wrote:This one has to be my all time favourite. The signs on the M20 on approach to and at junction 13 say Folkestone A20 for the road at the exit but there's no A20 once you've exited at the junction. The roads to Folkestone are the A259 and the A2034. This must surely be the only motorway junction where the only numbered road on the signs is a road that doesn't exist once you've exited at the junction.
I see what you mean, the A20 becomes the mainline after junction 13 on the M20 as that's where motorway status stops.
So what it should have is A20 on the forward destination section!

It's strange when an A road effectively goes up the sliproads like that, good idea, as I think that more LARs that run alongside motorways built on old A road routes should carry the old A road number.
The A1/A1(M) is a good place that could happen, allowing the main line motorway to carry M numbers eventually, without losing the A1 number.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

roadphotos wrote:This one has to be my all time favourite. The signs on the M20 on approach to and at junction 13 say Folkestone A20 for the road at the exit but there's no A20 once you've exited at the junction. The roads to Folkestone are the A259 and the A2034. This must surely be the only motorway junction where the only numbered road on the signs is a road that doesn't exist once you've exited at the junction.
The A2034 down Cherry Garden Avenue was the A20 when the signs were erected. The signs leading onto Cherry Garden Avenue at both ends still say "A20" as well.

Staying in Folkestone, though, there's this sign, which is on a road that has never been on the A260...
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Blatso

Post by Blatso »

There are a couple of signs in Denny, Scotland (near the M80/M876 merge) where the western route through the suburbs of the town is signed as (A872) when the A872 goes through that part. The A883 is signed as (A883) on the other side of town from the A872 junction leading to Stirling up to Denny Cross.

Here's an image of a sign of what I mean (Google maps hasn't updated since the new roundabout arrived). I wonder if they'll update the sign with the correct number when the Eastern Bypass route is finished
Attachments
2017-10-02 (5).png
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I believe there are some signs that still refer to the M63, which was renumbered to be a part of the M60 in 2000.

There are definitely signs on the M61 that imply the M62 to be accessible directly from that road.
- Richard Nixon
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

WHBM wrote:This nonsense on the Limehouse Link in London.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50774 ... 312!8i6656

a) It's not normal to put one way repeaters on an off ramp.
b) The parking sign is irrelevant, there is no parking provision.

Then 200 yards further on there is another combination, this time with the arrow pointing left

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.50754 ... 312!8i6656

Thereafter there is no further trace of any parking provision.
I wonder if it was erected privately (the first sign is obscured by other official signage) and unofficially, and you find private parking round the corner from the roundabout for the Ibis hotel?
Lockardian

Post by Lockardian »

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but the signage as you exit Johnstonebridge Services (J16) states M74/A74, neither of which exist in the area. It should of course say A74(M)/B7076. Interesting as I *believe* the motorway pre-dates the sign.
'Cause we'll go driving away from home
Thirty miles or more
And we'll go moving away from home
Without a care...
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Annandale Water services opened in 1995 with the motorway to the south of J16. The motorway to the north of J16 opened in 1999.

So the direction sign at the roundabout was correct when installed.
Screenshot_20171124-211319.jpg
As for the Roadchef sign, it looks like it could be original, so A74 would have been correct and it may not have been known the motorway would open as A74(M), or at least not expected it would stay as that for any length of time.

Not that signs erected by MSA operators are known for being of great accuracy, anyway.
Screenshot_20171124-211407.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
A72

Post by A72 »

I discovered this, while out in the car, last week.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.