The Shields Bridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

The Shields Bridge

Post by Glenn A »

Tyneside's answer to the Golden Gate Bridge, a bold plan from 50 years ago to build a bridge from North Shields to South Shields, whioh apart from looking excellent, would dramatically slash journey times over the Tyne between the two towns. ( Living a few minutes from where this bridge would have started, it would have meant a journey to South Shields being about 5 minutes, instead of 30 minutes, using the Tunnel).
http://i2.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/ ... 627485.jpg
Mark Hewitt

Re: The Shields Bridge

Post by Mark Hewitt »

There’s also the ferry along here but only once every 30 mind and passengers and bikes only.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Well one things for sure, it's certainly better than the Tyne Tunnel!
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

That bridge actually looks amazing! It would have been on my doorstep, too.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Goldberg wrote:That bridge actually looks amazing! It would have been on my doorstep, too.
I lived in the east end of North Shields with a partner for a year and the bridge would have been two minutes away and would have dramatically cut journey times to South Shields. Also if buses used it( my ex couldn't drive), it would have benefitted non drivers.
I think while the South Shields side would have been easy to access, the North Shields side from the A193 would have been more problematic as the railway runs next to it. It's likely there would have been a level crossing, or the bridge approach would start at Tanners Bank and cut through the wooded area above the Fish Quay. Another alternative would have been to build the road slightly to the east and demolish properties that were coming to the end of their lives for the bridge approach.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

The tie in on the North Shields side looks rather fudged!
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Looks as though someone's just arbitrarily plonked down a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge in the Tyne. And I can't really see a pier being built in the river like that. Had a bridge been seriously proposed in that location, I suspect it would have been something more like the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge. Plus it looks like it's only S2, which would have been rapidly overwhelmed.

And doesn't the Tyne Tunnel cater for all but very local traffic anyway?
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Mark Hewitt wrote:The tie in on the North Shields side looks rather fudged!
It's a case of where it would start. To me, it would have to be built over a wooded area to the north of the Fish Quay and end on Tynemouth Rd opposite a public park, or possibly could have been built slightly to the east, although would have meant demolishing a car showroom, a council yard and three streets of houses( although these were coming to the end of their lives anyway). Also the railway is a problem.
Goldberg
Banned

Post by Goldberg »

Is there any hard evidence that this was seriously considered at any point?
Orillion

Post by Orillion »

I can't comment on the idea being discussed here, but my dad was from South Shields, and I remember
him mentioning plans to build a bridge to North Shields from the top of Mile End Road. He was born 1918,
and I think he was talking about events around 1930.
Orillion

Post by Orillion »

PS

This website might be of interest:

http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/nsbridge.html
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Goldberg wrote:Is there any hard evidence that this was seriously considered at any point?
It was discussed, but probably never got anywhere as the Tyne Tunnel had just been opened. Also the bridge would only have been useful if you lived in North and South Shields and Tynemouth and needed to commute between the two towns, or wanted a day trip to South Shields or Tynemouth. Begs the question like Dan Smith's desire to fill Newcastle with motorways at the time, maybe the local authorities in Tynemouth and South Shields wanted something equally dramatic, but realised the bridge would have been too expensive, even if it would have dramatically slashed journey times across the river and looked fantastic.
I suppose to really make this bridge a success, it would probably have needed to be D2, with a D2 approach road on either side. Problem being, the approach road north of the river, which would link to the A1058 and A192, would entail destroying a public park and a golf course, and on the south side would mean considerable demolition to link up with the A1018( then A19), and public opposition would have been huge.