St Ives Bridge - Heavy vehicles only?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

St Ives Bridge - Heavy vehicles only?

Post by Big Nick »

I was in St Ives yesterday (no sign of mad men with numerous wives, sacks and cats!), got a bit lost driving in the town and came to this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.32307 ... 6656?hl=en

The left hand sign says clearly No cars permitted on bridge At any time - that's simple and understandable. The right hand sign says to me - Motor Vehicles Prohibited (cars and bikes) - but big things like trucks and buses are allowed over.
I did a difficult turn round just there and went back but presumably it would be too difficult for delivery trucks to turn so they ARE allowed over the bridge?

Because if they did they would meet this little dilemma https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.32220 ... 6656?hl=en
jonnyf90

Re: St Ives Bridge - Heavy vehicles only?

Post by jonnyf90 »

Bit of a strange one that, but I think you're right as there's no real turning room before the prohibition sign.
At the other end there's enough space to turn round in either of the junctions before the No Entry.

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Ruperts Trooper

Re: St Ives Bridge - Heavy vehicles only?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Trucks delivering to the businesses in Bridge Street cannot turn round - indeed it's hard enough for them to get into it from Crown St or the Pavement.

AFAIK there never was any structural reason for weight restrictions.

On a note of trivia - during the English Civil War the bridge was partially blown up by the troops of Oliver Cromwell to prevent King Charles I's troops approaching London from the Royalist base in Lincolnshire. The two arches on the southern side were demolished and a drawbridge installed in 1645 as a defensive measure by Cromwell's forces, who held the town. The drawbridge remained in use until 1716. When the bridge was partially rebuilt that year, the shape of the new arches was different from the surviving ones, leaving the bridge with two rounded arches on its South side and two Gothic arches on the North
Lifelong motorhead