The end of "plain" traffic signals

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

The end of "plain" traffic signals

Post by WHBM »

Having to do several trips in a day across London and into the Home Counties, it struck me that we have pretty much seen the end of plain, straightforward, traffic signals at cross roads. no pedestrian phase, no clever split-cycles, no turn arrows, just plain old A-B-A-B.

There was just one I noticed in all that driving. Surprisingly, in the middle of Kensington

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.49752 ... 312!8i6656

Last of a dying breed ?
Rob590

Re: The end of "plain" traffic signals

Post by Rob590 »

Whenever I visit London I'm always surprised by how many of these there still are, and how user unfriendly they are compared to crossings! In the rest of the country they are already very rare
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

WHBM wrote:Having to do several trips in a day across London and into the Home Counties, it struck me that we have pretty much seen the end of plain, straightforward, traffic signals at cross roads. no pedestrian phase, no clever split-cycles, no turn arrows, just plain old A-B-A-B.

There was just one I noticed in all that driving. Surprisingly, in the middle of Kensington

Last of a dying breed ?
Having a pedestrian phase isn't so bad as long as it's only activated by a pedestrian else it should be skipped.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
James

Post by James »

This is the only one closest to what your after that I can think of
https://goo.gl/maps/DiX5oSEwgPr

Has a right turn filter arrow, but not a seperate head so you can turn right straight away if nothings coming
Dropped kerbs but no other ped facilites

I am waiting for the council to 'improve' this juncton with a lots of extra signal heads, seperate right turn signals so you have to always wait and of course full cycle and ped crossings at each arm :twisted:
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

WHBM wrote:Having to do several trips in a day across London and into the Home Counties, it struck me that we have pretty much seen the end of plain, straightforward, traffic signals at cross roads. no pedestrian phase, no clever split-cycles, no turn arrows, just plain old A-B-A-B.

Last of a dying breed ?
Hopefully Yes. As a pedestrian in London traffic, I want a clear message that it is safe to cross and not have to chance it in a gap amongst traffic or between signal phases.
If that slows you down then tough, but should you be driving in London, really?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

lotrjw wrote:Having a pedestrian phase isn't so bad as long as it's only activated by a pedestrian else it should be skipped.
Exactly. Too many have the pedestrian phase on each cycle even if not activated and then you end up with a period when nothing is moving. I much prefer the American system where pedestrians get a green light when road traffic is travelling the same way. That way there's only two phases. The only drawback is turning traffic has to give way to pedestrians and that makes it unsuitable for use over here.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The HC is clear that pedestrians have righr of way over turning vehicles, it's just that many drivers know best and think they are divine rulers of the road.

If we didn't insist on huge radii at urban junctions pedestrians and cyclists would have a much safer environment without protected stages. We are still designing urban roads purely for cars and it's completely stupid.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Bryn666 wrote:If we didn't insist on huge radii at urban junctions pedestrians and cyclists would have a much safer environment without protected stages. We are still designing urban roads purely for cars and it's completely stupid.
I don't think it's for cars. We have recently had a run-in with the local authority who have slapped down great Double Yellow markings round all the junction radii in a nice urban recent-build cul-de-sac. The justification was the local authority refuse department. Each generation of vehicles they buy is larger than the last, the latest three-axle behemoth was inevitably struggling on turns which have suited everyone else fine. Even the fire engine is smaller and has got here on the odd occasion without problem. There was some intra-town hall discussion, and the yellows went down just to suit this once-weekly totally unsuitable vehicle. There was also some tree pruning done for it because of its height.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Truvelo wrote: The only drawback is turning traffic has to give way to pedestrians and that makes it unsuitable for use over here.
How is that no use "over here"?
It's also used in a fair whack of mainland Europe too.

If the only reason it couldn't work here is because drivers don't understand that a pedestrian has right of way over them at a junction when they are on the carriageway, then get the driver off the road.
Mizter T

Post by Mizter T »

Bryn666 wrote:The HC is clear that pedestrians have right of way over turning vehicles, it's just that many drivers know best and think they are divine rulers of the road.
This has to be one of - if not the - most disrespected rules of the road.

As a pedestrian I'm quite bolshie and ballsy about it.

As a driver I'm always most respectful of it, to the annoyance and seeming bewilderment of other drivers.
Bryn666 wrote:If we didn't insist on huge radii at urban junctions pedestrians and cyclists would have a much safer environment without protected stages. We are still designing urban roads purely for cars and it's completely stupid.
Well said. There are a few glimmers of hope, but otherwise the design approach seems to be firmly stuck in the rut.
Last edited by Mizter T on Wed Sep 27, 2017 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
shampooefficient

Post by shampooefficient »

Just mow them down. They may not pay road tax, and therefore shouldn't be milling about on something that doesn't belong to them!

:twisted:
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

These lights in Hereford are the only ones that I know of around here.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
mathmo

Post by mathmo »

There's a nice simple set here: https://goo.gl/maps/qrFCRn7i6U92
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Two sets that I can think of near me, both on Ladypool Road, Balsall Heath. One at the junction with Brighton Road, the other at the junction with Highgate Road.

Slightly further away, the set at the junction of Pershore Road and Priory Road, near Edgbaston cricket ground, have neither pedestrian phase nor any green arrows. The set at the Priory Road/Bristol Road junction are nearly as simple, but have a right turn arrow stage from Priory Road (westboound) into Bristol Road (northbound).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

mathmo wrote:There's a nice simple set here: https://goo.gl/maps/qrFCRn7i6U92
Isn't it rather telling that the only concession to other modes of transport is a "Cyclists Dismount" sign across one of the arm of the crossroads?
shampooefficient wrote:Just mow them down. They may not pay road tax, and therefore shouldn't be milling about on something that doesn't belong to them!
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, for now, that this is an attempt at humour.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

shampooefficient wrote:Just mow them down. They may not pay road tax, and therefore shouldn't be milling about on something that doesn't belong to them!

While I appreciate that you were (hopefully) mocking the "cyclists don't pay road tax" brigade and did not mean this seriously, this post could well be misinterpreted or at the very least could cause offence. May I please suggest you avoid posts of this nature in future.

As this has already been commented on by Richard, I won't remove it, but I would ask that we now avoid commenting on it and carry on about the original subject in hand.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

lotrjw wrote:

Last of a dying breed ?
Having a pedestrian phase isn't so bad as long as it's only activated by a pedestrian else it should be skipped.
Lancaster without filters, but with possibilities for pedestrians.

Chepstow without light filters (notwithstanding the presence of a filter lane), but with possibilities for pedestrians.

Likewise, Coleford, Glos.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Two more plain sets I've remembered, on A449 Penn Road, Wolverhampton, and very close to each other:

1) Junction with Rookery Lane/Stubbs Road (both B4161)
2) Junction with Goldthorn Hill (A4039)/Coalway Road (u/c)
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Theres a set on Picton Road / Rathbone road in Liverpool, it's quite busy most of the day so not sure how it has survived for so long, must be a nightmare for peds.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.39972 ... 6656?dcr=0
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Cawood, near York. Traffic levels here don't merit signalisation, but the incredibly tight junction and minimal visibility mean that they are necessary, particularly to allow buses to turn the corner.