A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardEvans67

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by RichardEvans67 »

A Google Earth update.

Street view on the B3284 around Chewbacca, plus a bit of the A30 going west from Chewbacca, now shows June 2021. Quite a few bits and pieces to see.
Herned

Post by Herned »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:35 A Google Earth update.

Street view on the B3284 around Chewbacca, plus a bit of the A30 going west from Chewbacca, now shows June 2021. Quite a few bits and pieces to see.
Is there a better autocorrect error than this? Unless there really is a giant wookie in the Cornish countryside
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Herned » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41

Is there a better autocorrect error than this? Unless there really is a giant wookie in the Cornish countryside
I don't know of any better spell checker. I can't help that I was always poor at spelling. I normally do make extra effort to try and get spellings correct, but hadn't realised that I was getting this one wrong. The main point should be that you should be able to understand what I meant.
Herned

Post by Herned »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 01:12 I don't know of any better spell checker. I can't help that I was always poor at spelling. I normally do make extra effort to try and get spellings correct, but hadn't realised that I was getting this one wrong. The main point should be that you should be able to understand what I meant.
Sorry I didn't mean any offence. The village of Chybacca has been spelt as Chewbacca a number of times in this thread, I imagine plenty of post gets addressed as that too, as it is what predictive text/spellcheckers suggest
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Herned wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 08:10
RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 01:12 I don't know of any better spell checker. I can't help that I was always poor at spelling. I normally do make extra effort to try and get spellings correct, but hadn't realised that I was getting this one wrong. The main point should be that you should be able to understand what I meant.
Sorry I didn't mean any offence. The village of Chybacca has been spelt as Chewbacca a number of times in this thread, I imagine plenty of post gets addressed as that too, as it is what predictive text/spellcheckers suggest
Chybucca, isn't it?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Herned

Post by Herned »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 09:25
Herned wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 08:10
Chybucca, isn't it?
Yes :oops:
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Herned » Tue Sep 14, 2021 08:10

The village of Chybacca has been spelt as Chewbacca a number of times in this thread
Interestingly, I can't find any nearby village with that name. Well often junctions seem to have names themselves.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Another road closure that I received via Email. Not very efficient that The email is dated a day after the closure was already due to start.
Traffic Management Alert

Traffic Management Alert - A30 Scheme Temporary Closure of Pennycomequick Lane

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing Pennycomequick Lane for utilities works to take place.

The closure will run 24 hours a day from Monday the 13 September 2021 at 0800hrs (8am) to 1700hrs (5pm) Friday the 1 October 2021 inclusive.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the Monday the 13 September 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be viewed here.

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this closure may cause.
Further information about the project can be seen on the project website here
This is the diversion route :
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 5768c2.jpg
IAN

Post by IAN »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 02:41 Another road closure that I received via Email. Not very efficient that The email is dated a day after the closure was already due to start.
Traffic Management Alert

Traffic Management Alert - A30 Scheme Temporary Closure of Pennycomequick Lane

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing Pennycomequick Lane for utilities works to take place.

The closure will run 24 hours a day from Monday the 13 September 2021 at 0800hrs (8am) to 1700hrs (5pm) Friday the 1 October 2021 inclusive.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the Monday the 13 September 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be viewed here.

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.

This is the diversion route :
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 5768c2.jpg
They spent months diverting utilities before the scheme 'proper' got started so what's all this about I wonder?
AKA M5 Driver
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

jackal wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 13:57 The planning application plans should be the most up to date:

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... e%206).pdf
An interesting part of the route plan is the inclusion of access roads through the roundabouts at Carland Cross to enable "wind turbine" traffic.

The junction is adjacent to an existing windfarm.

There are not many new road plans requiring this!
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 22:16 [quote=jackal post_id=<a href="tel:1205198">1205198</a> time=<a href="tel:1631365050">1631365050</a> user_id=1839]
The planning application plans should be the most up to date:

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... e%206).pdf
An interesting part of the route plan is the inclusion of access roads through the roundabouts at Carland Cross to enable "wind turbine" traffic.

[/quote]

More than you’d think… the A1 GSJs built at Blyth and markham moor have them. As done one of the newer A66 junctions I think
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:26

They spent months diverting utilities before the scheme 'proper' got started so what's all this about I wonder?
(About Penny Come Quick utility diversions)

Who knows.

Perhaps something got delayed of forgotten or both. Perhaps now they need to get it done in a hurry to avoid holding up other things. Hence why the Email seemed rather last minute.

Then again. Most of the work started towards the western end, and this is near the East. So perhaps they are only now starting to get around to it.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Norfolktolancashire » Thu Sep 16, 2021 22:16

I noticed that, although on the plans I have they are called Overrun Areas.

I'm sure I have seen many roundabouts on Google Earth that seem to have areas paved over, so I don't think it is all that unusual.

Actually just down the road from me is a roundabout with areas on the outside that have normal road surface, but marked as not part of the normal road. They are presumably to allow large vehicles to negotiate the roundabout. There are bus routes that use the roundabout, and buses would have problem if these areas were not there. There is a bit of an issue with people using them as temporary parking, which could potentially hold up a bus and result in blocking the whole thing.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:04

The village of Chybacca has been spelt as Chewbacca a number of times in this thread
Interestingly, I can't find any nearby village with that name. Well often junctions seem to have names themselves.
In joke with the kids when I go down to Cornwall, always say here comes the Star Wars junction :D
The M25 - The road to nowhere
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 08:48
RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:04

In joke with the kids when I go down to Cornwall, always say here comes the Star Wars junction :D
The name seems to exist only for a largish house nearby (SW785485). By no means a manor by the look of it though. And not a wookiee on show.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I've just received this.

This is the diversion route:
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 71a05c.jpg

A30 Traffic Management Alert

Temporary 4 week 24/7 closure of lane from A30 to Shortlanesend

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing for 4 weeks the lane between the A30 at Zelah to Shortlanesend (this is the lane that passes the entrance to Nancarrow and Llama Land).

The closure will run from Monday the 18 October 2021 to Tuesday the 9 November 2021, between the time of 0930hrs (9.30am) to 1700hrs 5.00pm) 24 hours per day between the dates shown above.

This work closure needs to take place to permit work to be conducted on the junction of the southerley end of Marrazanvose/Killivose lane. This will allow HGV's to be able to negotiate the crossroads corner turning to Killivose Farm and Nancarrow, as the future new means of access when the lane is closed permanently at its junction with the A30 at Marazanvose.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the Monday the 18 October 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be viewed here.

This took a fair bit of figuring out.

It seems that the current HGV access to Killivose is from the A30 and down Killivose lane. This route is going to be stopped up. So HGV access will have to be via Shortlandsea road and using a junction quite a bit further south down Shortlandsea road. This junction is currently no good for HGVs, so this closure is to improve that junction.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

I travelled along this route yesterday. Traffic levels have reduced due to the season, however there was bunching of traffic due to numerous tractors bringing the brassica harvest in. Once open, the LAR will sort this out.

Most of the route is now cleared and there are overnight traffic lights to allow safe passage of construction traffic.

One of the interesting signs states something like A30 construction taking place out of sight! No doubt the construction company have had the usual short sighted complaints!

One day I will invest in a dashcam to video the scenes.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Norfolktolancashire » Tue Oct 12, 2021 13:56

One day I will invest in a dashcam to video the scenes.
I improvised once, by sticking a camera to my dash with bluetac.
Although I've realized since that there are legal implications of having a screen visible to the driver.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

I found this video from 8th October whilst browsing YouTube.
Jump to 1hr 20 for Carland to Chiverton.
Can't see an awful lot, but visible earthworks going on around Carland Cross and some scaffolding around Chybucca which is probably for the overbridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGFxK7bjCI
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by adam 1972 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 15:50

I found this video from 8th October whilst browsing YouTube.
Jump to 1hr 20 for Carland to Chiverton.
Can't see an awful lot, but visible earthworks going on around Carland Cross and some scaffolding around Chybucca which is probably for the overbridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGFxK7bjCI
Thank you for finding that.

For just west of Carland, you can actually see a bit more on Google Earth Street view. Although it's not as up to date, you can at least look around a fair bit.

I could see on the video, there is now a fair bit of activity around Ennis Lane.

I was interested to see the Zelah Bypass. The traffic management is obviously in place. Although I couldn't see any sign of actually starting to build the new bridge yet.

I'm a bit curious about the scaffolding at Chybacca. I wonder if this is to put the shuttering in place, for a concrete pour for one of the bridge abutments.