A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Brownfools

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Brownfools »

WARNING! The following post may reveal my advancing years!

When the original Zelah bypass was built as a single carriageway, there were those of us that campaigned long and hard for the one overbridge (at Tolgroggan) to be built with sufficient span as to be able to accommodate a dual carriageway at a later date. And, we were successful!
Now, it's in the wrong place, and will be demolished and replaced by a new structure.
Oh well!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Brownfools » Sat Feb 03, 2018 15:18

When the original Zelah bypass was built as a single carriageway, there were those of us that campaigned long and hard for the one overbridge (at Tolgroggan) to be built with sufficient span as to be able to accommodate a dual carriageway at a later date. And, we were successful!
Now, it's in the wrong place, and will be demolished and replaced by a new structure.
Oh well!
I don't really see why they can't just put the new Duel under the bridge, and not have the Local route (Replacing A30) go under the bridge at all. For a local route couldn't it just make a junction with the access road.

Perhaps bridges like this aren't so expensive after all.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

The flythough video of the scheme is now fully uploaded and includes a drive through of the scheme. Exciting stuff! :D
Harry
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

I can't wait till this is done!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

The last piece of the great route west!

Yes, it will cause even more queues in the season at Hayle, but after driving along the S2 at all times of the year it will be MUCH safer than at present.

Now what about an off-line new road from the A30 bypassing Truro completely and to Falmouth?
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by crowntown100 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 15:27

The flythough video of the scheme is now fully uploaded and includes a drive through of the scheme. Exciting stuff! :D
Great, I'll have a look for it.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Norfolktolancashire » Sat Feb 10, 2018 21:02

The last piece of the great route west!
I tend to disagree, as the bit west of Hale badly needs bypassing.

And ideally dueling the Hayle and Conner downs Bypasses, and a flyover at logging Moor, although I'm not very optimistic that those things will happen.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Now what about an off-line new road from the A30 bypassing Truro completely and to Falmouth?
Since the A30 is basically a spine road, once the A30 is brought up to scratch, it would make sense to improve feeders off of the spine, to feed significant towns. I heard about such a scheme for a road to St Austell. I'm thinking that if they get around to such a feeder to Falmouth, it might make more sense to feed both Falmouth and Helston, basically have an East West road between them and then a feeder down to that link. I think another significant need would be a short feeder to St Ives. The only other feeder I can think of that might be worth doing would be to Bude.

In the end, all things to look at once the A30 is sorted out properly.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

RichardEvans67 wrote:

Since the A30 is basically a spine road, once the A30 is brought up to scratch, it would make sense to improve feeders off of the spine, to feed significant towns. I heard about such a scheme for a road to St Austell. I'm thinking that if they get around to such a feeder to Falmouth, it might make more sense to feed both Falmouth and Helston, basically have an East West road between them and then a feeder down to that link. I think another significant need would be a short feeder to St Ives. The only other feeder I can think of that might be worth doing would be to Bude.

In the end, all things to look at once the A30 is sorted out properly.
Details on the St Austell Scheme here. Worth noting that the A391 as a result would come out at the Victoria/Cornwall Services Junction rather than at Innis Downs as it does now.

A similar link to St Ives would be a terrible idea - there's simply nowhere for the traffic to go as St Ives isn't exactly the most car friendly town in the country. Much better to do as they are and improving the park and ride facilities directly from the A30. Otherwise, I'd completely agree with your suggestions. Falmouth is hafway there with a good road link in the A39 - it's blindingly obvious as you drive along which sections have been improved and which haven't. Link the Penryn and Carnon Downs bypasses, and bypass Truro, and it's job done. Bude's a trickier affair as you need a hell of a lot of new road for a small town - none of the roads serving it now can exactly be described as "good".
Berk

Post by Berk »

As I understand it, this is really about providing a Bugle bypass than a ‘better route to St Austell’. However, Cornwall Council have promised a purpose-built NSL-designed road.

So maybe the higher speed will balance out the longer distance. The fact it’s recycling a part of the old A30 pleases me somehow. :)
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Postby Berk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 19:24

The fact it’s recycling a part of the old A30 pleases me somehow. :)
Recycling ;)

I'm a bit surprised they can reuse part of the old A30, I'd of thought it would be going in the wrong direction.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Well, at that point it’s heading towards Goss Moor, and the iron bridge... :!:
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Just looked it up,
and Hummm....
Not very impressed with the connection to the A30, and it seems to go through Victoria, hummmm....
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by DavidBrown » Mon Feb 12, 2018 09:34

A similar link to St Ives would be a terrible idea - there's simply nowhere for the traffic to go as St Ives isn't exactly the most car friendly town in the country. Much better to do as they are and improving the park and ride facilities directly from the A30
Just thinking out loud, as I seem to remember part of the route having problems, probably because of being too narrow for even S2. I was wondering if some of the villages ought to be bypassed, nothing substantial, just a safe S2.

The thing that puts me off of things like Park & ride, is that if you are going on a shopping trip, and you have to use public transport, then you can't really get much as you need to carry it all back. Therefore, is it really worth the trouble of getting there by public transport, just to get a few small bits.
Otherwise, I'd completely agree with your suggestions. Falmouth is hafway there with a good road link in the A39 - it's blindingly obvious as you drive along which sections have been improved and which haven't. Link the Penryn and Carnon Downs bypasses, and bypass Truro, and it's job done.
Never actually driven it. I was just noticing that Helston is also not far from Falmouth, so I thought why not try to serve both towns with one scheme.
Bude's a trickier affair as you need a hell of a lot of new road for a small town - none of the roads serving it now can exactly be described as "good".
Yes tricky, but when I look on the map, I see a large area that is probably hard to get to. So I wonder if any of the routes could be improved, but it probably won't happen.
Herned

Post by Herned »

RichardEvans67 wrote:Not very impressed with the connection to the A30, and it seems to go through Victoria, hummmm....
Victoria, at least on the old A30 is essentially an industrial estate, and at most 4 houses, and is a well-aligned section of road. The alternative would be a new junction on the A30 which would add a significantly to the cost
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Herned » Tue Feb 13, 2018 20:59

Victoria, at least on the old A30 is essentially an industrial estate, and at most 4 houses, and is a well-aligned section of road. The alternative would be a new junction on the A30 which would add a significantly to the cost
As I said Hummm........ ;)
I wasn't sure about it, but you seem to have clarified that it isn't really a problem.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

RichardEvans67 wrote:
Otherwise, I'd completely agree with your suggestions. Falmouth is hafway there with a good road link in the A39 - it's blindingly obvious as you drive along which sections have been improved and which haven't. Link the Penryn and Carnon Downs bypasses, and bypass Truro, and it's job done.
Never actually driven it. I was just noticing that Helston is also not far from Falmouth, so I thought why not try to serve both towns with one scheme.
Helston is also home to RNAS Culdrose which is one of the largest helicopter bases in Europe. However, the A394, apart from the last couple of miles into Helston, is pretty good as it stands, with is all being improved in some way in the 70's. Why the A39 wasn't done at the same time is beyond me. I agree that Truro and North/East Cornwall needs better connections to Falmouth and the South, though.
Harry
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

A quick update.
Newsletter 4 is now available.
http://assets.highways.gov.uk/roads/roa ... e+4pdf.pdf
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

RichardEvans67 wrote:A quick update.
Newsletter 4 is now available.
http://assets.highways.gov.uk/roads/roa ... e+4pdf.pdf
Thanks for this, the fly-through video on the link in this newsletter is one of the best I've seen.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I hope they’re on track with getting the planning in. That’s key to getting the scheme into build asap.