A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BF2142

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by BF2142 »

They're not using most of the existing Zelah bypass. The existing bridge is being incorporated into the new road but apart from that, it's an entirely new route.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Mon May 10, 2021 18:00

They're not using most of the existing Zelah bypass. The existing bridge is being incorporated into the new road but apart from that, it's an entirely new route.
The plans I saw don't show a great deal of detail. There will be 6 lanes, a new D2 and an S2 for the local route. The thing as a whole looks to be pretty much on the route of the existing bypass. Last time I saw the plans, the overbridge was actually going to be replaced. Presumably it was only built wide enough for one D2. Not both a D2 and an S2.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Once this section of D2 is completed it should take some traffic away from the Truro city area that at present uses the A39 route to access the Helston and Lizard area. It takes ages to get from one end to the other of the A39 Truro during the summer season.

The construction when I drove along the route last week looks like it is concentrating on the Chiverton Cross section, then peters out towards the Chybucca junction where there has been a lot of tree/bush removal. The embankments of the overbridge on the Zelah bypass have been cleared too.
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 18:10
by BF2142 » Mon May 10, 2021 18:00

The plans I saw don't show a great deal of detail. There will be 6 lanes, a new D2 and an S2 for the local route. The thing as a whole looks to be pretty much on the route of the existing bypass. Last time I saw the plans, the overbridge was actually going to be replaced. Presumably it was only built wide enough for one D2. Not both a D2 and an S2.
Nope, it's mainly offline, with the existing A30 retained for local access. Flythrough here
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

A303Chris wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 13:33
One part of the expressway will carve a new four-lane bypass around an already existing four-lane bypass thus carving in total eight tarmacked lanes of parallel traffic where historic fields lay.
“Historic fields”! They should be putting up a visitor centre and a tea room in that case, never mind a bypass :shock:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris5156 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:09
One part of the expressway will carve a new four-lane bypass around an already existing four-lane bypass thus carving in total eight tarmacked lanes of parallel traffic where historic fields lay.
“Historic fields”! They should be putting up a visitor centre and a tea room in that case, never mind a bypass :shock:
You can literally see the history in the fields: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carla ... d-5.027651
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

Why are these people are protesting after construction has started?

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 07:30
by Herned » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11

(there are a couple more which already have four lanes underneath).
I'm not sure it is as simple as that.

These bridges have S4 underneath. To convert them to a D2 there would need to be some sort of central barrier. I've looked closely on Google Earth street view, and space is so tight that I don't really see how they could safely find space for a barrier.

Wouldn't it be a bit dangerous to have short pieces of S4 in the middle of longer stretches of D2?. Or perhaps they could narrow the lanes, but again, is it safe to do that ? There is a very little bit of space either side of the carriageway, but if they used that, wouldn't it move the traffic perilously close to the bridge peers.

I think they'd still end up needing to replace them.
It's the S4 here, where the A30 is on an overpass, the verge is very wide to the parapet so can easily accommodate a DC
The M25 - The road to nowhere
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by matt-thepie » Tue May 11, 2021 00:06

Nope, it's mainly offline, with the existing A30 retained for local access.
Yes most of the new D2 is offline.

I was answering a comment saying they are not using most of the existing Zelah bypass. I suppose it comes down to the semantics of what you mean. True that not much of it is used for the new D2 part, but most of it is still used for the local route. So I considered that the bypass is still to be used.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by A303Chris » Tue May 11, 2021 13:44

RichardEvans67 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 03, 2021 07:30

These bridges have S4 underneath. To convert them to a D2 there would need to be some sort of central barrier. I've looked closely on Google Earth street view, and space is so tight that I don't really see how they could safely find space for a barrier.

Wouldn't it be a bit dangerous to have short pieces of S4 in the middle of longer stretches of D2?. Or perhaps they could narrow the lanes, but again, is it safe to do that ? There is a very little bit of space either side of the carriageway, but if they used that, wouldn't it move the traffic perilously close to the bridge peers.

"It's the S4 here, where the A30 is on an overpass, the verge is very wide to the parapet so can easily accommodate a DC"
I think there's some confusion here.
You quoted a comment I made some time ago, specifically about the bridges on the Hayle bypass.

Yes I agree that it looks OK in the location you highlighted, but I don't see the relevance to my old comment.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

A303Chris wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 13:44
RichardEvans67 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 07:30

It's the S4 here, where the A30 is on an overpass, the verge is very wide to the parapet so can easily accommodate a DC
Zelah bypass was designed to allow Dual Carriageway through/over the bridges. Obviously, the bridge here is being replaced as they are building a new LAR around the bridge that Chris links above so that Zelah is still bypassed, but that bridge itself will remain (I like to think that was my idea, as in the original plans they were replacing it and I brought it up at the consultation).
A303Chris wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 13:33 The Cornwall Live story is here and some of the quotes from the objectors are laughable or they did not read the plans.
Surely the protesters had their say at the consultation? It's not like it was pushed ahead without any notice. And the only place where it could be 8 lanes (for all of a quarter of a mile at most) is at Chybucca where the B3284 and the LAR will run parallel to the new road, but that's it.

Personally, my favourite line is "Cornwall Council begun construction work on a new expressway". Wrong! If you're going to complain, get your facts straight first! Also, surely it should be 'began', not 'begun'?
c2R wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 You can literally see the history in the fields: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carla ... d-5.027651
Isn't that a dirt bike track? :lol: If it isn't, it's certainly not a monument that's had any recognition in Cornwall to the best of my knowledge.
Harry
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

crowntown100 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 17:00 Zelah bypass was designed to allow Dual Carriageway through/over the bridges. Obviously, the bridge here is being replaced as they are building a new LAR around the bridge that Chris links above so that Zelah is still bypassed, but that bridge itself will remain (I like to think that was my idea, as in the original plans they were replacing it and I brought it up at the consultation).
So Zelah will become like Bridestowe in Devon where a SC A30 bypass becomes a LAR and then a new DC bypass, comes along later.

Frome previous posts on SABRE, the Bridestowe bypass opened 1976 and the Sourton Down to Liftondown open in 1993, so lasted 17 years. Zelah opened in 1991 so will have had 32 years of use
The M25 - The road to nowhere
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

The clueless objectors are now claiming the road is being built without planning permission.

If you're gonna object, get your **** together.

SMT note: Don't evade the swear filter.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:54

The clueless objectors are now claiming the road is being built without planning permission.
Sounds like they don't know about DCOs lol.

Edit : Just found this :
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ld-5401605

Their main argument seems to be that this was sold as a dueling, and they seem to think that this meant online dueling. Well HE were hardly going to call it "creating a stretch of dual carriageway because the current single carriageway is not good enough". That stretch of A30 is S2, and when they've finished it will be D2. So that is dueling, and online or offline is just a detail of how they will make that bit of A30 D2. The plans have been available for years. So (as I said) anybody who though it was all online dueling was obviously not interested enough to bother looking at the plans.

Another point. This article called it controversial. Considering that 90% of locals wanted something to be done, does controversial mean that at least 1 person doesn't like it ?
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 15:44

Their main argument seems to be that this was sold as a dueling, and they seem to think that this meant online dueling. Well HE were hardly going to call it "creating a stretch of dual carriageway because the current single carriageway is not good enough". That stretch of A30 is S2, and when they've finished it will be D2. So that is dueling, and online or offline is just a detail of how they will make that bit of A30 D2. The plans have been available for years. So (as I said) anybody who though it was all online dueling was obviously not interested enough to bother looking at the plans.

Another point. This article called it controversial. Considering that 90% of locals wanted something to be done, does controversial mean that at least 1 person doesn't like it ?
Cornwalllive needs to be taken with a pinch of salt regarding hype, it regularly runs articles on celebities and their Cornwall pads to try to wind up people.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

RichardEvans67 wrote:

As an ex-local, I can tell you that the section is just a wide country lane. Being able to drive from Hayle to the M5 without encountering traffic lights or a roundabout will be a major improvement for residents and tourists.

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 15:44
Their main argument seems to be that this was sold as a dueling
Swords or pistols?
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

c2R wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18
Chris5156 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:09
You can literally see the history in the fields: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carla ... d-5.027651
You can also see the wind farms (and a solar farm) surrounding them. That ship has sailed.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by wrinkly » Fri May 14, 2021 20:32

Swords or pistols?
They might need both to fight off the protestors lol.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Found this Facebook post from a Truro MP :

https://www.facebook.com/thisischerilyn ... 701407706/
https://www.facebook.com/thisischerilyn/
Today I met with the Costain and Highways England team who are delivering the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme.
The scheme and its objectives were delivered as part of a lengthy process, where the public and stakeholders were engaged. The scheme is designed to improve safety, reduce congestion & improve efficiency, unlock economic growth, connect communities & maintain routes, protect the environment and importantly, to minimise disruption during construction.
Before visiting work areas across the site, we discussed progress, archaeological investigations and the environmental considerations for the scheme.
Cornwall Archaeological Unit are working with Kristina Pill, a senior engineer for Costain. Their efforts are a once in a lifetime opportunity to uncover and document the rich heritage of this part of Cornwall. They have made some interesting discoveries and I look forward to hearing more about this work once they have completed their investigations.
Ali Thomas, the Environmental Manager for Costain, is clearly passionate about her work and explained the extensive efforts that would be made to minimise the impact on the environment during construction. These efforts include a comprehensive carbon management plan, ecological surveys and supervision, water management and noise assessments, to name just a few. It was also very reassuring to also hear about the plans to significantly improve biodiversity after the road has been completed. I look forward to regular updates as the plans develop, I have no doubt that they will surpass their ambitious targets and that we’ll see many new and innovative ideas.
As work on the scheme progresses, Highways England want to hear your thoughts about the scheme. You can visit their interactive map, so you can pinpoint any comments you may have about the work, or just give them general feedback. You can do this here: https://map.govmetric.com/A30ChivertontoCarlandCross
I would like to thank the team for their time today and I’m sure they’ll be opening their doors to the public and interest groups once restrictions allow.