A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gaz909909

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Gaz909909 »

Ideally there should be a fly over there and they could dual the Hayle bypass, but there's neither the budget nor the space. Most of the traffic on that roundabout is going to the retail park. What about a bridge, demolish the junction and dumbbell behind (to the north of) the Shell garage? Now that's how to spend the money!!
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Gaz909909 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 09:06 Ideally there should be a fly over there and they could dual the Hayle bypass, but there's neither the budget nor the space. Most of the traffic on that roundabout is going to the retail park. What about a bridge, demolish the junction and dumbbell behind (to the north of) the Shell garage? Now that's how to spend the money!!
Have you got any evidence at all that ‘most of the traffic on that roundabout is going to the retail park’? Not in my experience. Hayle is a destination in its own right, it’s also one of only 2 proper accesses to the Towans coast road.

The retail park is, as usual, poorly located but it’s not particularly big - the car park probably limits visitor numbers to some degree. I don’t dispute it’s popular though, or that a flyover is a much more beneficial solution. Just to say most traffic is going to the retail park… sorry not for me.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

I don't have any specific impirical data, I'm just thinking aloud. I did work in Hayle for 5 years and have lived in PZ for 20. I know the area very well. Used the roundabout every day, seen it before and after the retail park and things definitely got a lot worse after the retail park. You're right the carpark is inadequate.

I have no doubt lots of traffic goes into Hayle too, (I mean, it's the home of Philps, right?!) but I think you misunderstood my comment. My focus was that removal of the roundabout with the junction resighted next to the Travelodge would really really improve the junction flow and access to the retail park. Would it happen? Of course not. Far too expensive! But the boy can dream.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Found some photos on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Cyberheritage- ... 532248573/

I Don't know whether they are available without a Facebook account.
I'm still looking today.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Another video from the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28nk_kSDlw8
This is more recent. It's a bit hazy, but you can still see a lot.

I think the pictures above were probably taken from this plane.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Another cracking video from the same guy. Chybucca and New Chivvy are both looking very good. Suprised how slow the Zelah section is, but from what I remember, traffic is diverted onto the new road between Chivvy and Chybucca pretty early on. Thanks for the find Richard!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Suprised how slow the Zelah section is
I still can't figure out which of 2 ways they plan to deal with the over bridge.

1 : Build a temporary access (Instead of the bridge), so that they can demolish the old bridge, before then building the roads and the new bridge.

2 : Build the new bridge before demolishing the old one.

The lack of visible activity suggests they may have been busy building the temporary access. However this video doesn't seem to show the temporary route. Perhaps all will become clear when we see whether they build the new bridge before removing the old one.

Then again, the whole project is about 3 years. Presumably because it is quite a big project. So perhaps it's a case of not being able to do too much at once.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

Traffic Management Alert

Temporary night closures A3075 Chiverton Cross to Pendown Cross

Costain, on behalf of National Highways, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing the A3075, for enabling works to take place.

The closures will run from Monday the 11 April 2022 to Friday the 15 April 2022, between the times of 1900hrs (7pm) to 0600hrs (6am) each night ending at 0600hrs (6am) Saturday Morning.
Diversion route https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... c4fb9a.jpg
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 00:22

from what I remember, traffic is diverted onto the new road between Chivvy and Chybucca pretty early on.
I just had another look (at the plans I downloaded), and as far as I can see that is from phase 3 onwards. However before they can do that they need to get the A3075 traffic on a route just North of the Chiverton Junction. They can then connect the new A30 from the Chybucca direction. (Actually it doesn't quite go as far as Chybucca, as there is a temporary connection to the existing A30 a bit before it gets to Chybucca junction).

I was wondering whether the closure coming up in a couple of weeks, would be to divert the A3075 traffic. However looking at the video I linked to above. I'm not sure how close they are to being ready to do that. There are significant gaps where they haven't done anything much. Perhaps these bits won't take much time, or perhaps that closure is for other reasons.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Valid points. I wonder if this closure is to cover utilities and the main event is just to come.

My understanding is that the new line is several metres below the current Chivvy rbout, keen to see how they manage that. This cutover plan I saw mentioned retaining walls. Keen for this.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Gaz909909 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 08:19

My understanding is that the new line is several metres below the current Chivvy rbout, keen to see how they manage that. This cutover plan I saw mentioned retaining walls. Keen for this.
Some confusion here.

I think you are now talking about the new D2 west of the new roundabout. The plan's I've downloaded show it 2-3 meters below ground level as it crosses the old roundabout. I think that will be awkward, although that would be built at a much later stage, near the end.

I assumed when you talked about using the new route quite early on, you meant the part east of the new junction towards Chybucca. They will need to use that part as part of an earlier stage in the traffic management.

Before they can do any of that, they need to divert the A3075 traffic. This uses the new link from the A3075 to the new roundabout, and most of the new link from there to the B3277. But instead of going to the small roundabout, it is temporarily tied into the existing A3075 just before the existing big roundabout. This basically takes the A3075 traffic slightly north of nearly everything. So then they will be able to built most of the new roundabout, and link it to the east.

The plans I have, also show a bit of the new D2 just west of the new roundabout built and temporarily tied into the existing A30, just before the existing big roundabout. At this location the new A30 is at about ground level. This comes after the A3075 diversion. I can't remember exactly why, but I think the basic idea is to close the Existing A30 immediately south of the new roundabout, so that everything can be tied in. At this stage the link to the A390 will also be built.

Then finally there is the awkward problem of the last bit of D2 to the west, that is lower than the existing chivvy roundabout.

This all assumes they haven't had a complete rethink since they drew the plans that I have.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Yes to everything you said, and yes I was referring to the changes to the far west of the scheme, which, yes will be at tie in stage. That document that shows the different phases is gold dust. You're right to assume it will evolve.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

A30 Traffic Management Alert
Temporary week night and weekend closure, A30 Chiverton Roundabout to Boxheater

Costain, on behalf of National Highways, will be undertaking work at various locations along the temporary closed sections of the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme. This will facilitate the installation of a temporary roundabout, to replace the current staggered crossroads.

The temporary Chiverton Cross to Boxheater Junction closure, will be nightly from Monday the 16 May 2022 to Thursday the 19 May 2022, from 2000hrs (8pm) to 0600hrs (6am). Then at the weekend it will be closed 24 hours a day, from Friday the 20 May at 2100hrs (9pm) to Monday the 23 May at 0600(hrs) 6am
Chybucca temporary layout https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... rawing.pdf

Diversion Route https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 764dbf.jpg
IAN

Post by IAN »

adam 1972 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:00
A30 Traffic Management Alert
Temporary week night and weekend closure, A30 Chiverton Roundabout to Boxheater

Costain, on behalf of National Highways, will be undertaking work at various locations along the temporary closed sections of the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme. This will facilitate the installation of a temporary roundabout, to replace the current staggered crossroads.

The temporary Chiverton Cross to Boxheater Junction closure, will be nightly from Monday the 16 May 2022 to Thursday the 19 May 2022, from 2000hrs (8pm) to 0600hrs (6am). Then at the weekend it will be closed 24 hours a day, from Friday the 20 May at 2100hrs (9pm) to Monday the 23 May at 0600(hrs) 6am
Chybucca temporary layout https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... rawing.pdf

Diversion Route https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 764dbf.jpg
I thought that an official diversion route had to follow roads of the same grade as the closed road? The blue route suggests a B road, albeit for a short distance.
AKA M5 Driver
Sam S

Post by Sam S »

Hello I'm new and thought I would add some photos as I live near this project.

It will only let me upload 3 photos on here so these are the best that will fit in the size allowed! The first is a view East towards Carland Cross taken on the Zelah bypass from the existing Tolgroggan overbridge.
IMG_2024.jpeg
The second shows the new Church lane underpass near Zelah looking in the Marazanvose direction with the accommodation bridge at the very back of the picture.
IMG_2041.jpeg
The final one is taken on the completed access road / Bridleway at Chybucca shown green on the temporary roundabout plan. The assumed under construction B3284 North connection to the temporary roundabout is on the right and the existing A30 is to the right of that. The new bridge construction is in the background.
IMG_2131.jpeg
There are 29 photos in a much better resolution in my Google Drive folder here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
The first 5 are the Zelah bypass, 6th new Ennis lane diversion, 7th and 8th Church Lane underpass, 9th to 11th Trevalso lane with the large hole in the 10th for the underpass, 12th to 25th at various locations around Chybucca showing the new access road, temporary earth works and new bridge construction, 26th at Allet lane showing where the underbridge will be built, 27th to 29th are at Killivose lane near Marazanvose with the 28th showing where the now demolished Marazan farm once was.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Sam S » Mon Apr 11, 2022 22:54

Hello I'm new and thought I would add some photos as I live near this project.
Thanks, and welcome to Sabre. I'll definitely be downloading them to take a good look later (I'm a bit busy this morning).
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Sam S wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 22:54 Hello I'm new and thought I would add some photos as I live near this project.

It will only let me upload 3 photos on here so these are the best that will fit in the size allowed!
Welcome to SABRE, and thanks for sharing your photos! The first one is a really great view of a whole length of the project.

The limit on picture sizes and numbers in forum posts is because pictures easily get lost over months and years as threads die out. You can upload much bigger pictures, and as many as you'd like, to the wiki if you'd like to share them all - that also allows them to be tagged, located on a map, etc etc.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

A bit more to add to the road closure at Chybucca.
A30 Traffic Management Alert - Temporary 24/7 closure B3284 North from Chybucca

Costain, on behalf of National Highways, will be undertaking work at Chybucca on the B3284 North from its junction with the A30 for to the entrance into Callestick Vean approx 150m. This will facilitate the installation of the permament re alignment of the B3284 to the new temporary roundabout, to replace the current staggered crossroads.

The Junction closure, will be 24/7 from Monday the 9 May 2022 from 0800hrs (8am) to Monday the 16 May at 0600(hrs) 6am.
This will be immediately followed by the night time closures and the weekend closure subject of the A30 closure alert sent on the 11 April 2022.
Diversion here :
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 95db05.jpg
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by adam 1972 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 16:00

That's a significant departure from the plans previously found online.
Looks like the right turn from the B3284(S) to the A30(E) is important enough to keep it open.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Mon Apr 11, 2022 19:19

I thought that an official diversion route had to follow roads of the same grade as the closed road?
I wouldn't think that is always practical. Well the A30 traffic will be diverted along a reasonable single carriageway. It's probably of about as good a quality as much of the existing A30. I would have thought that was good enough as a temporary arrangement.