A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

crowntown100

A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by crowntown100 »

I think it's about time this has it's own thread instead of jumping on other ones.

Highways England scheme page.
Consultation page.
Sabre Wiki page.

As described in the above links, the preferred route was announced back in July providing an almost entirely offline alignment from start to end. The only online sections are at Chybucca and for a small section of the Zelah Bypass, utilising this bridge and creating an new local access road along side it.

Three junctions are planned:
- One just east of Chiverton Cross,
- West facing sliproads at Chybucca, and
- One at Carland Cross.
While the junction designs are not finalised, it is likely that they are close to what will be built.

Most of us will remember times where 'Queues Likely' signs littered the A30 well in advanced of Innis Downs and, latterly, Temple. This has already been implemented in anticipation of queuing at Carland Cross, but this time the signs start as far back as the western end of the Goss Moor Bypass about 7.5 miles away.

The current projected cost of the scheme is an eye-watering £290m and is due to start in 2019/20.
Harry

From the SABRE Wiki: A30/Carland Cross - Chiverton Cross Dualling :

The Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross Dualling' scheme is a scheme which is under construction to improve the A30 north of Truro, Cornwall.

The Carland Cross to Chiverton Cross Dualling scheme had been in the pipeline for years, but has only recently made it to fruition. On the 14th July 2017, upon completion of the Temple to Higher Carblake bypass, the A30 through here became the only remaining section of Single Carriageway between

... Read More
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by A303Chris »

crowntown100 wrote: Most of us will remember times where 'Queues Likely' signs littered the A30 well in advanced of Innis Downs and, latterly, Temple. This has already been implemented in anticipation of queuing at Carland Cross, but this time the signs start as far back as the western end of the Goss Moor Bypass about 7.5 miles away.

The current projected cost of the scheme is an eye-watering £290m and is due to start in 2019/20.
I saw the signs approaching Carland Cross last week but the first ones I saw were at Summercourt. However they were temporary signs on "A" frames, so earlier ones may have been removed or fallen over.

I also noticed they have appeared before the Camboutne west junction as well.

I must admit the thing which slowed me down last week between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross, was the large amount of tractors, I don't know if the level were high due to it being harvest time. Also driver frustration seemed higher, especially as you now have a clear 82 mile run from the M5, so I wonder if accidents increase now this is the first part of poor quality you now reach for a considerable time, especially if you have come down the M4/M5. But £290m for 8 miles of GSDC seems very reasonable at todays prices.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Tractors are much more noticeable in farming areas in September/October, what with harvesting the crop,. getting it in and preparing the land before winter.

I dislike them because the nights are drawing in, but tractors work under lights and then come out onto public roads, sometimes with working lights still on - wrote my Subaru off in Somerset trying to avoid a tractor having been dazzled by his lights suddenly appearing from a field gateway.

But like everyone else, I still buy the labours of their work!
Lifelong motorhead
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Ruperts Trooper wrote:Tractors are much more noticeable in farming areas in September/October, what with harvesting the crop,. getting it in and preparing the land before winter.

I dislike them because the nights are drawing in, but tractors work under lights and then come out onto public roads, sometimes with working lights still on - wrote my Subaru off in Somerset trying to avoid a tractor having been dazzled by his lights suddenly appearing from a field gateway.

The thing that annoys me most about farmers with their tractors is why use main roads aka primary routes during peak hours? I understand there is work to do and need to make a living but being off the roads before 8am and not back on till after 10am, and again from 3pm til 6pm would help both themselves and drivers alike (farmers wont have to pull over as much to let traffic pass and less drivers will be held up) I'm sure some, even many, may disagree with this but felt it might be a valid point here
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Lewis1997 wrote:
Ruperts Trooper wrote:Tractors are much more noticeable in farming areas in September/October, what with harvesting the crop,. getting it in and preparing the land before winter.

The thing that annoys me most about farmers with their tractors is why use main roads aka primary routes during peak hours? I understand there is work to do and need to make a living but being off the roads before 8am and not back on till after 10am, and again from 3pm til 6pm would help both themselves and drivers alike (farmers wont have to pull over as much to let traffic pass and less drivers will be held up) I'm sure some, even many, may disagree with this but felt it might be a valid point here
Restricting certain classes of vehicles to certain times of day doesn't fit well with their working patterns - many farmers are working almost 24/7 at harvest time.
Lifelong motorhead
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by crowntown100 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 13:46

The only online sections are at Chybucca and for a small section of the Zelah Bypass, utilising this bridge and creating an new local access road along side it.
I wonder about the overbridge on the Zelah Bypass.

Looking at Google Earth Street view, the central span looks like it is probably wide enough for a D2, although it may be a bit of a squeeze. Looks like an S2 is also planned to go under, and it can't also fit under the central span, so I'm thinking is there enough room between the bridge peers and the abutment, or do they plan to replace the bridge.

The plans seem to show earthworks leading up to either end of the bridge, which may suggest a slightly new alignment for the road over the top. So I wonder if they plan to build a new bridge next to it, re-align the road and then demolish the old bridge.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Postby Lewis1997 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 18:22

To be fair I don't think any of us know much about the time pressures of farming. Perhaps the farmers are thinking 'Groan... the only way I can do this on time is to go on the roads in rush hour Groan...'

Richard.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

RichardEvans67 wrote:
by crowntown100 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 13:46

The only online sections are at Chybucca and for a small section of the Zelah Bypass, utilising this bridge and creating an new local access road along side it.
I wonder about the overbridge on the Zelah Bypass.

Looking at Google Earth Street view, the central span looks like it is probably wide enough for a D2, although it may be a bit of a squeeze. Looks like an S2 is also planned to go under, and it can't also fit under the central span, so I'm thinking is there enough room between the bridge peers and the abutment, or do they plan to replace the bridge.

The plans seem to show earthworks leading up to either end of the bridge, which may suggest a slightly new alignment for the road over the top. So I wonder if they plan to build a new bridge next to it, re-align the road and then demolish the old bridge.
I'm reasonably sure that they'll replace the bridge with a wider one. The current one is wide enough for D2, but not a D2 and S2 together.
Harry
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

The sooner it's built the better... it'll be a nightmare for a good few years though.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Postby Paul237 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30

The sooner it's built the better... it'll be a nightmare for a good few years though.
Why would it be any worse during construction ?

I expect that like during Temple, people will start blaming the roadworks for the delays, forgetting that it was just as bad before the roadworks.

Richard.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

Camborne to Exeter on a completely dualled road, Cornwall won't know itself!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

BF2142 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:59

Camborne to Exeter on a completely dualled road, Cornwall won't know itself!
Welcome to the 21st Century ;)
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/a ... chiverton/

Dates for next consultation
29th Jan to 12th March. (2018)
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Full Highways England press release on consultation event is here
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Shame about the Fly Through video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Ohw3r ... e=youtu.be

Only shows a few bits.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Full consultation booklet is here.

Overall the scheme in my opinion is great, and I can wait to join the A329(M) at Loddon Bridge and not stopping again in theory to Hayle. However a couple of points.

At Chiverton Cross could a dedicated left on lane be provided from the A390 to A30 westbound to save the convoluted route via the new roundabout.

Secondly without east facing slips at Chybucca, going westbound there would be no escape to Chiverton , so local traffic would remain on the old road although the predicted flows do seem low.

I would take it the B3285 would be extended from Zelah Hill to Carland along the old A30 and the remaining road become unclassified as happened further east in Devon.

Apart from that just get it built
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Postby A303Chris » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:01

At Chiverton Cross could a dedicated left on lane be provided from the A390 to A30 westbound to save the convoluted route via the new roundabout.
I expect they probably considered this, but it looks very difficult to do, so if the traffic levels aren't that big it's hard to justify it. And I don't see it as all that convoluted. Two roundabouts is a minor irritation, but as long as the traffic isn't too high, it adds very little to the journey time.

EDIT: My mistake, I got confused with the Carland Cross junction.
I suppose such a dedicated Left turn would be possible, but that would mean two on slips close together, which would perhaps have some safety concerns and affect the flow of traffic on the main carriageway. Also I assume the extra distance is hardly anything in a motor vehicle, so is it worth it ?
Secondly without east facing slips at Chybucca, going westbound there would be no escape to Chiverton , so local traffic would remain on the old road although the predicted flows do seem low.
I was reading their explanation of this.
They say they did look at it, but it would need a lot more land take. Something to do with being hard to get good enough visibility on such slip roads. So for the low levels of traffic they can't justify it.

I always assumed the Chybucca junction was mostly for traffic from Turo on the B3284, and the B3284 doesn't go the right way for Eastbound A30 traffic. For most it would be a large detour making it better to just use the A39 to Carland.

Besides, I assume that with the large reduction in traffic, the old A30 will become a rather nice local road anyway. So I can't see it being a great hardship for such traffic to take the old A30 to Carland.
I would take it the B3285 would be extended from Zelah Hill to Carland along the old A30 and the remaining road become unclassified as happened further east in Devon.

Apart from that just get it built
I would make the old A30 a non primary A road, with a slightly different number. Perhaps add two figures to the end of A30.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Perhaps one possible issue with the Chiverton junction being moved, is that a lot of people may start using the small lane from Penstraze (On the A390) to the new junction. This would become a significantly more direct route than staying on the A390. This lane looks rather narrow on Google Earth, so most people probably wouldn't do this, but presumably it would only take a small percentage for that lane to have traffic problems.

Perhaps they might end up having to close a small section of this lane so it is no longer a route.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

RichardEvans67 wrote:Perhaps one possible issue with the Chiverton junction being moved, is that a lot of people may start using the small lane from Penstraze (On the A390) to the new junction. This would become a significantly more direct route than staying on the A390. This lane looks rather narrow on Google Earth, so most people probably wouldn't do this, but presumably it would only take a small percentage for that lane to have traffic problems.

Perhaps they might end up having to close a small section of this lane so it is no longer a route.
They already have issues with this and have put a right turn restriction on the road to stop people using it to bypass Chiverton Cross and head towards Chybucca. I can't see it being too much of an issue as traffic will be restricted by vehicles already on the roundabout. However, I can see it being used to head towards Truro. They'll come up with some measure to prevent it.

The flythrough seems to be updating itself. It now shows the route as far as Zelah, but earlier today it didn't seem to make it that far. There seems to be more to come. There is also a new video accompanying it talking about the consultation.

The scheme isn't much different to the PRA last year. I just look forward to seeing it get built. I might even be able to go an get some decent photos of the works! :D
Harry