A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

solocle

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by solocle »

AC4DC073-CD00-4DB8-BF59-F66D2AB4EB66.jpeg
DF864085-E921-4B92-906E-047EDD165AAC.jpeg
Passed through yesterday. Definitely some works under way.
7A551538-8421-4F8D-BCAC-907DCE91E814.jpeg
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Using Google Earth, to try and figure out where these pictures are.

I've worked out the 1st is somewhere just past Nancarrow Farm, going towards Two Barrows. Or to be less precise, past Marazanvose going towards the Zelah bypass. (There are very few places that are S2+1 and with nearby pilons).

I Assume the 2nd is nearby, and the pilon is a clue. Is it a site access for building the new local route past the Two Barrows under bridge? I think the access is from the small lane, not the main A30.
solocle

Post by solocle »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 18:55 Using Google Earth, to try and figure out where these pictures are.

I've worked out the 1st is somewhere just past Nancarrow Farm, going towards Two Barrows. (There are very few places that are S2+1 and with nearby pilons).

I Assume the 2nd is nearby, and the pilon is a clue. Is it a site access for building the new local route past the Two Barrows under bridge? I think the access is from the small lane, not the main A30.
Yep, T1 was avoiding the Zelah bypass using the old road, the access just after the turning.

The final one was just before Carland Cross, as is fairly obvious from the wind farm.

EDIT:

https://youtu.be/BCOnXimbaOY
Footage from my cycle through. I haven't edited it, so you may want to jump around or speed it up!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Thanks for the video.

An interesting thing to note. At about 8:30, just past Chewbacca. There was a large construction partially visible on the right. I'm guessing this is the overbridge for the Chewbacca junction.

Pity you couldn't look along the Zalah bypass, as I would be interested to see what is happening with the new access overbridge.
solocle

Post by solocle »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 20:44 Thanks for the video.

An interesting thing to note. At about 8:30, just past Chewbacca. There was a large construction partially visible on the right. I'm guessing this is the overbridge for the Chewbacca junction.

Pity you couldn't look along the Zalah bypass, as I would be interested to see what is happening with the new access overbridge.
Yep, I would imagine it must be!

As for the Zelah bypass, at least got to see the works immediately off the carriageway.

All in all, it'll be nice from an NMU perspective to have a low traffic route there. What does baffle me a bit is the lack of a link to the A3076 at Mitchell, where there's a country lane that parallels the A30.
Capture.jpg
Such an utterly trivial gap to bridge, at 1 mile, especially compared to Bodmin Moor (where I went A39-A395-A30-B3254).
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

All in all, it'll be nice from an NMU perspective to have a low traffic route there. What does baffle me a bit is the lack of a link to the A3076 at Mitchell
Presumably because that section of the A30 was built quite some time ago. At a time when they didn't consider such things. A scheme much nearer me, (on the A21 that was built around 2017), has foot/cycle paths, to cover stretches where there aren't quiet roads.

Edit:
Having since downloaded some newer plans, I see there is a track labeled "WCH LINK" from the south side of the underbridge at Mitchell, to the roundabout at Carland Cross. I can't find any clarification of what WCH LINK means, but I think you will be allowed to cycle on it. That should fix the missing link you are talking about.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
IAN

Post by IAN »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 20:44
I drove on the A30 westbound through the works today. Sorry, no dashcam to actually show the Zelah bypass but what surprised me was that although most of the new road will be offline it comes back online to pass under this bridge. https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3204929 ... 312!8i6656

There appears to be enough space to fit D2 through it - It'll certainly be disruptive when they tie it in. At the moment they're doing the foundations on each side of the existing road.
AKA M5 Driver
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

When I drove through a few weeks back, I noticed some preliminary widening had been done in the area of that bridge.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Fri Sep 03, 2021 22:00

There appears to be enough space to fit D2 through it
Yes. I read that that bridge was built suitable to go over D2. However the plan has changed a lot since then. Now they need a bridge to go over both a D2 and an S2.

They are keeping most of the existing A30 for local traffic, and Zelah is not suitable for even that level of local traffic. The plan several years ago, was to have more junctions, so that most of the local traffic could use the new D2 rather than going through Zelah. However, now they don't want extra junctions along the new D2, as that would disrupt the traffic flow. Also presumably they wouldn't want slow moving farm traffic on the new D2. They still can't put the local traffic through Zelah, and they wouldn't want farm traffic through Zelah either. So they now need two Zehah bypasses. The new D2, and an S2 for local traffic.

I had two thoughts. I was wondering how much space there was between the bridge peers, and the abutment. I wondered if they added a retaining wall could they then squeeze the S2 through there. Perhaps there isn't enough width. Also I was thinking, could they have an at grade junction between the local S2 and the access track over the bridge. Perhaps that would make the gradient of the S2 too steep, or perhaps they were worried that people might then use part of the narrow access track as a cut through to Zelah.

Well, they went for replacing the bridge, and I assume they know much better than me.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 23:32, edited 4 times in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

BF2142
Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 09:42

When I drove through a few weeks back, I noticed some preliminary widening had been done in the area of that bridge.
I can see on Google Earth, that they seem to have cleared the trees on the east side of the existing bridge. So I presume they will build the new bridge on that side.

I read that they were going to reduce the traffic to S2 from S2+1, to make safe working space. Could you be mistaking the extra width, because it used to be S2+1?
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

Traffic Management Alert

Temporary night closures A3075 Chiverton Cross to Pendown Cross

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing the A3075, for road surface strengthening and utilities diversion works to take place.

The closures will run from Monday the 13 September 2021 to Friday the 17 September 2021, between the times of 2000hrs (8pm) to 0500hrs 5am) each night ending at 0500hrs (5am) Saturday Morning.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the Monday the 13 September 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be viewed here.
Diversion route https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... c4fb9a.jpg
jackal

Post by jackal »

The level of LAR provision on this scheme makes A303 Sparkford to Ilchester feel very embarrassed :oops:
solocle

Post by solocle »

jackal wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 13:13 The level of LAR provision on this scheme makes A303 Sparkford to Ilchester feel very embarrassed :oops:
Indeed. The lack of LAR on the A303 means more of this nonsense...
9636EBDE-D7B8-446E-BDE1-CF95DC24130C.jpeg
Which means I'm vehemently opposed to the A303 scheme, unlike C2CC (also, Sparkford-Ilchester is far more local to me. I could easily ride down it regularly in protest).
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by adam 1972 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:14

Traffic Management Alert
I was just about to post about the same thing, after I found something on Facebook.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 18:30
BF2142
Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 09:42

I can see on Google Earth, that they seem to have cleared the trees on the east side of the existing bridge. So I presume they will build the new bridge on that side.

I read that they were going to reduce the traffic to S2 from S2+1, to make safe working space. Could you be mistaking the extra width, because it used to be S2+1?
Yes that’s possible. What I noticed was that the vegetation in this area had been cut right back. Alongside the outer edge of the existing road was what looked like a freshly built base course. But yes, why would they need to widen the existing bypass? My understanding was that Zelah bypass was going to be retained, with the new A30 running close by to the south. Can anyone confirm what the plan is for this section?
Herned

Post by Herned »

BF2142 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 09:11 Yes that’s possible. What I noticed was that the vegetation in this area had been cut right back. Alongside the outer edge of the existing road was what looked like a freshly built base course. But yes, why would they need to widen the existing bypass? My understanding was that Zelah bypass was going to be retained, with the new A30 running close by to the south. Can anyone confirm what the plan is for this section?
The flythrough video on the consultation page appears to show the west end of the Zelah bypass is moved north a little - the video uses grey with no road markings where the local roads are changed
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by BF2142 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 09:11

Yes that’s possible. What I noticed was that the vegetation in this area had been cut right back. Alongside the outer edge of the existing road was what looked like a freshly built base course. But yes, why would they need to widen the existing bypass? My understanding was that Zelah bypass was going to be retained, with the new A30 running close by to the south. Can anyone confirm what the plan is for this section?
Google Earth shows a lot of tree clearance East of the existing Bridge, presumably for building the new Bridge.

I downloaded some plans from the Web. I think there are a few different pages where you can find them. I got sections a to d from a bit more than 1/2 way down this page : https://www.perranplan.co.uk/2021/01/25 ... roadworks/
Not sure if these are the latest plans, or whether there would be a few changes. These plans don't show a great deal of detail. However section C does show the new D2 and the S2 bypasses going under the bridge next to each other (The S2 north of the D2).

The horizontal alignment is changing from that at two burrows, where the new D2 is roughly on the alignment of the existing A30 with the new S2 to the north, to that further along the Zelah bypass, where the S2 ties into the existing A30, and the New D2 is roughly parallel to the south. So I would think that at the bridge, the S2 will be slightly on the north side of the existing alignment, and the D2 will be slightly on the south side.

Edit :
I just noticed that there are also some plans on the scheme web site. I presume that they will be more up do date.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

I downloaded a copy of the plans from here
https://costain.queenswoodengagement.com/#maps-1

Just click on "Enter virtual hall" and it will take you straight to the maps, these seem to be a lot more detailed and up to date.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I've thought before that it seems to make the route from Truro to Redruth very indirect unless you cut along minor roads.
jackal

Post by jackal »

The planning application plans should be the most up to date:

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... e%206).pdf