A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IAN

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by IAN »

Hiraeth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:48
RichardEvans67 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 09:06 https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... 0-upgrade/

Looks like they now have a main contractor, so hopefully work will start before long.
I'd be surprised if this starts in Spring - never good starting during bird nesting season...
February 29th was the last day allowed for hedge work so now nothing in this respect can be done until the end of August (unless the hedges have already been covered with nets to prevent nesting). I suppose that the contractors could spend the time on tasks like setting up compounds, completing any demolition and finishing any remaining topography or ground surveys.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 16:35

I suppose that the contractors could spend the time on tasks like setting up compounds, completing any demolition and finishing any remaining topography or ground surveys.

Ian (M5 Driver)
Also I think normally for the 1st few months of a scheme, a lot of the work is moving utilities. Not sure what exactly, but presumably there will be a lot of telephone cable, electrical cables etc. I presume they need to re-route pretty much all of them, so that they are out of the way, and don't get cut off, when construction really gets under way.

The Temple scheme officially started in March (I think), but construction didn't really seem to get started until June.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Similarly, if it's possible to build culverts and bridge foundations without disturbing trees, that could be done ahead of other work.

If there's a whiff of a rare newt in the area, the first thing they'll be doing is putting up little barriers excluding them.
IAN

Post by IAN »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 09:13
by IAN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 16:35

I suppose that the contractors could spend the time on tasks like setting up compounds, completing any demolition and finishing any remaining topography or ground surveys.

Ian (M5 Driver)
Also I think normally for the 1st few months of a scheme, a lot of the work is moving utilities. Not sure what exactly, but presumably there will be a lot of telephone cable, electrical cables etc. I presume they need to re-route pretty much all of them, so that they are out of the way, and don't get cut off, when construction really gets under way.

The Temple scheme officially started in March (I think), but construction didn't really seem to get started until June.
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... en-3283890

Gas pipes were moved last year so that should save some time.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

IAN » Tue Mar 03, 2020 16:22

Gas pipes were moved last year so that should save some time.
Imagine the delay if they now had to wait for those pipes to be moved.

Well I would think there is probably plenty more stuff to me moved and re-routed, but presumably nothing on the scale of the gas pipes.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

I am going to guess that no major roadworks will take place until September as the tourist season is starting up again in Easter and this road is a main corridor whatever the speed/congestion it has. Cornwall rarely has issues with snow/frost so construction during the winter should be "slightly" easier than "up-country". That saying an awful lot of rain falls there, and usually horizontal!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Norfolktolancashire » Sat Mar 07, 2020 19:25

I am going to guess that no major roadworks will take place until September as the tourist season is starting up again in Easter and this road is a main corridor whatever the speed/congestion it has.
I don't think affecting the existing traffic is a significant issue. Most of the new A30, and the new structures, are offline. So they could be largely built without affecting the existing traffic.

I think people tend to jump to conclusions blaming construction works for the congestion. Often the congestion problems were already there, as they were the main reason for the construction works.
Jon Waters

Post by Jon Waters »

Costain signed the contract today with Highways England. Work will begin once the lockdown ends
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Jon Waters » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:52

Costain signed the contract today with Highways England. Work will begin once the lockdown ends
I was wondering if Corona would affect it. Do you have any links to stories about this ?

I notice (on Facebook) that the big A14 scheme seem to be continuing.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 05:09
by Jon Waters » Wed Apr 15, 2020 17:52

I was wondering if Corona would affect it. Do you have any links to stories about this ?

I notice (on Facebook) that the big A14 scheme seem to be continuing.
I would have thought the existing schemes are continuing to work the M4 smart motorway is , which I see when I cycle over it.

Given this is a new scheme, politically it makes sense until the lockdown eases especially given Cornwall CC's announcements to stay away. It is likely a large part of the site team would be from outside the county anyway.

Probably start in the summer a 6 to 8 week delay on the project for a 2 year scheme, isn't to bad. Look on the bright side at least the contract is signed and ready to go, how many new schemes will be mothballed to fund this crisis.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by A303Chris » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:59

Look on the bright side at least the contract is signed and ready to go, how many new schemes will be mothballed to fund this crisis.
Although I'm thinking, how much would it cost to get out of a contract. So I will be happier once a significant amount of construction is under way.
Norfolktolancashire

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 02:55
by A303Chris » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:59

Look on the bright side at least the contract is signed and ready to go, how many new schemes will be mothballed to fund this crisis.
Although I'm thinking, how much would it cost to get out of a contract. So I will be happier once a significant amount of construction is under way.
It is one of those projects that are so far advanced it will continue. I would have thought however that the St Austell to A30 link road that is being funded by Cornwall County Council will not go ahead as all councils will be even more cash strapped than before the virus lockdown. The council has also a lot of money invested in Newquay airport which has lost most of its routes with FlyBe collapsing.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/ ... chiverton/

Highways England say they're aiming to start the main work in the Autumn.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

I should add that this is the main works. They say they are already doing some preliminary works. Well I seem to remember that the Temple scheme took a few months to really get going. Saying the Autumn seems a fair bit longer than that, but perhaps that is partly due to Corona.
fchd

Post by fchd »

Several miles of jams in both directions yesterday lunchtime. This scheme cannot get done quickly enough.
IAN

Post by IAN »

Any sign of any substantial construction commencing?
AKA M5 Driver
Norfolktolancashire

IAN wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:23 Any sign of any substantial construction commencing?
None when I went through last week.

The tourist season is back in full(ish) gear here so there are daily queues along this stretch anyway.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:23

Any sign of any substantial construction commencing?
They say they hope to start the main construction in the Autumn.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Did Chiverton Cross to Carland Cross on the way home yesterday. Not less than 40 mph throughout and no queue at either roundabout, which I found pleasantly surprising given the sheer number of people who were in Cornwall for the week. I did leave a little earlier than normal as Covid-19 brought exit time for the rented property forward by an hour, but still. Given that people may be put off/prevented from taking foreign holidays for some considerable time and Cornwall seems like very many people's alternative, hopefully there are no problems in getting this done within the expected time-frame.