A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Truvelo »

I used this section today and apart from the line of the new road being dug out in adjacent fields there's not much to see. The existing road is completely intact and still NSL throughout although achieving that for any distance is unlikely apart from the crawler lanes at Zelah. I did record this oncoming tractor creating a nice long convoy behind it.

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Truvelo » Wed May 26, 2021 16:39

I used this section today and apart from the line of the new road being dug out in adjacent fields there's not much to see
I would think that would be quite a lot of work done. I'm not sure what exactly they need to do for the foundations of a road like this, but I would think it's quite substantial, and it would need to be done over a length of nearly 9 miles.

I don't suppose you have a video of the entire route ?
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

RichardEvans67 wrote:

I used this section today and apart from the line of the new road being dug out in adjacent fields there's not much to see
I would think that would be quite a lot of work done. I'm not sure what exactly they need to do for the foundations of a road like this, but I would think it's quite substantial, and it would need to be done over a length of nearly 9 miles.

Might be heading down to Cornwall in late summer- I'll get some video and photos.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

BF2142 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:43
RichardEvans67 wrote:

Might be heading down to Cornwall in late summer- I'll get some video and photos.
That will be the only option as the video on my dashcam has now been overwritten by today's journey. Hopefully by late summer there may be more visible work taking place.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/ ... and-cross/

The Highways England site has been updated, adding pretty much what I found recently on Facebook.
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Shown as under construction in the 2022 A-Z Road Atlas:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42561
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Google Earth had been updated to March this year (2021).
It doesn't show much yet, but you can now at least see much of the route. Mostly towards the Chiverton end.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Another bit of information from Facebook.

They are reducing the 3 lane section of the Zelah bypass to 2 lanes, to create safe working space for replacing the Tolgroggan over bridge.
1oSspn7 hJuounoeof saltem n1ss6o:c4ree1md ·
🚧Traffic Management Alert Traffic realignment at Zelah bypass 🚧
An update from Costains on behalf of Highways England
As previously notified, Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be carrying out weekday, night time closures of the A30 between Chiverton and the Boxheater junction.
The closures will take place each night between 20:00 and 06:00 on the following dates:
Monday, 21 June 2021
Wednesday, 23 June 2021
Thursday, 24 June 2021
Friday, 25 June 2021
Monday, 28 June 2021
Tuesday, 29 June 2021
Wednesday, 30 June 2021
Thursday, 1 July 2021
Friday, 2 July 2021
A diversion route will be well signed and can be seen here.
During the second week of the closures, work will be undertaken to reduce the three lane section at Zelah to two lanes. Reducing the traffic flow to two lanes is necessary to allow space to safely construct the new Tolgroggan over bridge. Once this work is finished, we will then be removing the old over bridge. The temporary road layout will be in place into 2022 and we will keep you updated on our works.
To allow the traffic to flow as freely as possible, no cyclists will be allowed to use this section of the A30 until work in the area is complete. A safe diversion route for cyclists will be well signed through Zelah village. The diversion route can be seen here.
Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closures, please contact our Community Relations Officer, Dave James, at dave.james@costain.com or our project helpline on 0846 600 2664.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this work may cause.
Further information about the project can be seen on the project website https://highwaysengland.co.uk/.../a30-chiverton-to.../
📸 Costains
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Traffic Management Alert

Temporary Closure of Allet Lane

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing Allet Lane to build two site access points.

The closure will be start at 9:30am on the 16 August and will remain in place until 5:00pm on the 10 Sepetember 2021.

A diversion route will be well signed.

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact our Community Relations Officer, Dave James, at dave.james@costain.com or our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this closure may cause.
Edit:
Trying to figure out where exactly this is.
I assume it's a lane East of Chewbacca, going south towards Allet, But neither Google Earth or Streetmap seem to give the names of small roads.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 17:17
Traffic Management Alert

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing Allet Lane to build two site access points.

The closure will be start at 9:30am on the 16 August and will remain in place until 5:00pm on the 10 Sepetember 2021.

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact our Community Relations Officer, Dave James, at dave.james@costain.com or our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.

Edit:
I assume it's a lane East of Chewbacca, going south towards Allet, But neither Google Earth or Streetmap seem to give the names of small roads.
Is the force strong with this one? :wink:
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Post by Peter350 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:47

Is the force strong with this one? :wink:
If it was, then I wouldn't need to keep searching the Web for little scraps of information. The location of these compounds could be big clues as to what they will be for.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

PS.
I didn't repeat the stories about arcioligcial finds, as I don't think it's of any interest here.

Also I haven't mentioned that Google Earth street view shows lots of cones and signs, mostly waiting to be deployed. As I haven't really worked out what exactly they are for.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 17:17
Traffic Management Alert

Edit:
If you head east past Chewbacca, Allet lane is the next turning on the right.
I am thinking that the site access would probably be for the construction of the underbridge which will go over Allet Lane, which is Tresawsen Underbridge on the fly through video.
It also looks like Allet lane will be re-aligned and join the old A30 slightly further east with the old part of it marked as gated access points on the plans.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by adam 1972 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 14:57

If you head east past Chewbacca, Allet lane is the next turning on the right.
I am thinking that the site access would probably be for the construction of the underbridge which will go over Allet Lane, which is Tresawsen Underbridge on the fly through video.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Although it says 2 site accesses. The plans show a balancing pond south of the bridge, so perhaps the other access is to construct that.
It also looks like Allet lane will be re-aligned and join the old A30 slightly further east with the old part of it marked as gated access points on the plans.
I downloaded some plans quite some time ago, and yes they do show the lane realigned to the East. I presume that is mostly because the land is lower to the east, so it would be a better location for an underbridge.

The plans I have are not detailed enough to show gated accesses. So that's something new I just learned.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Once this section of the A30 is completed, it will be interesting to see how much traffic heading for the Lizard and Helston area will go via Redruth and the B3297 instead of via the A39 Truro then A394.

The Truro area is notorious for traffic congestion in the summer period.

When the "missing link" of the A30 at Temple was completed a few years ago, the queues at Camelford on the A39 avoiding the congestion reduced significantly.

The same happened when the Goss Moor section was completed, the traffic on the A39 near Wadebridge avoiding the long queues on the old S2 reduced too.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.facebook.com/keltbrayholdin ... 943377842/

Looks like this will be a pedestrian subway at Chiverton. You may need a facebook account to see it. I think it's just west of the new Chivvy junction.
Keltbray

Back in March we shared the exciting news that Keltbray had won its first ever Highways England contract - a £14.1m package of works to deliver 14 bridge structures on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross Scheme.

The site pictured is the Chiverton Underpass, a box culvert underpass, made from pre-cast concrete units which will eventually have the new A30 dual carriageway passing directly above it. The structure allows pedestrian access to safely pass underneath the new A30. It’s the first major structure on the job and has included some interesting works such as temporary work earth retention structure, designed by Wentworth House Partnership.

In addition to precast concrete, there are 4 ‘wingwalls’, which will be poured with in situ concrete and act as a permanent earth retention structure and provide access into the culvert.

The precast units making up the box culvert comprise of a bottom ‘u’ shaped piece and a top ‘n’ shaped piece, which fit together with a tongue and groove type system. Each individual piece is 13tonnes in weight – there were 74 units in total to complete the structure!
Edit:
You can also see some works, for what I think will be part of the link road from the A390 to the new Chivvy roundabout.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 23:33, edited 2 times in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

This is slightly West of Carland.

https://www.facebook.com/TruroRoselandC ... 876502644/
Traffic Management Alert

Temporary closure of Ennis Lane

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing Ennis Lane to build a re-alignment of it where it currently can join the A30.

It will close temporarily for all through traffic except for residents, for three weeks from the 16 August 2021 at 6:00am until it reopens at 5:00pm on the 3 September 2021.

Please note that from 5:00pm on Friday the 3 September 2021 Ennis Lane will open, however the access to and from the A30 halfway along its length will remain closed permanently. It will then only be accessible from its junction with the A39 and at its western end at Ventonteague.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the 16 August 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be seen below

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact Community Relations Officer, Dave James, at david.james1@costain.com or our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.
Further information about the project can be seen on the project website at https://highwaysengland.co.uk/.../a30-chiverton-to.../
(I couldn't copy the last URL successfully)
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

There's very little to see ATM when you drive westbound between Carland and Chiverton.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

I passed through last week - agree that not much is visible really from the A30, but if you go slightly off-piste you can see a fair amount of work at the Chiverton end - land clearance and early structures work for the Chiverton and Chybucca junctions plus land clearance for the offline sections.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

From an Email list I subscribed to.
Looks like somebody made a mistake. When I look on Google Earth, it seems to be the B3284. Well, they only got one figure wrong. The title of the Email says B3284.
Traffic Management Alert

Temporary weekend closure the B3254 North and South of A30 at Chybucca

Costain, on behalf of Highways England, is working on the A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross road improvement scheme and will be temporarily closing the B3254, for Western Power Diversions to take place.

Both the B3254 North and South will close temporarily for all through traffic except for residents, for three nights from Friday the 10 September at 8:00pm (20:00hrs) to Monday the 13 September 2021 at 6:00am (06:00hrs). It will reopen on Monday the 13 September at 6:00am.

A diversion route will be well signed effective from the Friday the 10 September 2021. The location of the diversion and the area of the works can be viewed here.

Should you have any queries regarding the works or the closure, please contact our Community Relations Officer, Dave James, at david.james1@costain.com or our project helpline on 0845 600 2664.

Further information about the project can be seen on the project website here
This is the diversion route:
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... 0caf1e.jpg