A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Hdeng16

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by Hdeng16 »

Yep... With the greatest respect it’s just a red line in a map - seemingly not taken into account the lie of the land etc.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Hdeng16 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 13:41

Yep... With the greatest respect it’s just a red line in a map - seemingly not taken into account the lie of the land etc.
I've made many attempts of my own, but I can't see any easy way to upload images here, plus, I'd be worried about the copyright position, using maps.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

A320Driver wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 09:55 Here’s my attempt at improving the last section of S2 on the A30. I reckon this will be promoted by HE within the next 10 years. I also agree with Jackal, that the Camborne - Hayle section will be low priority given the BCR will be low.

68B93620-7452-4A45-B657-68B8E2B64D25.jpeg
This is pretty similar to the late 80s/early 90s bypass and exactly what's needed. My ideal outcome would be a continuous/widened DC with GSJs from the end of the Long Rock bypass to Camborne.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Yep, it was only a ‘line on the map’, so to speak. I noticed the railway but to route the road alongside would add to the distance and also through a lot more woodland.

Regarding copyright, there’s many instances on this site of posts with Google maps on - I didn’t believe it to be an issue. Plus that image also has the copyright mark on it so I couldn’t be accused of passing off a satellite image as my own :D

Maybe start a new thread with the topic of the “last bit of the Trunk A30 west of Honiton to be dualled”
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I’m honestly not convinced it needs to be dualled. At some point (currently Tesco roundabout in PZ) the dualled section stops.

Personally, I’d fix Loggans with the overpass it should have had in the first place, use the space for 3 lanes wisely, and fix the st Ives turning so it’s more free flow - not a complete GSJ perhaps but a easier flow or partial GSJ.

Obviously a couple of smallish bypasses (st erth / crowlas) and the roundabout at the A394 needs reprofiling but do we really need it to be dualled?

Change my mind...
Herned

Post by Herned »

Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 22:49 Obviously a couple of smallish bypasses (st erth / crowlas) and the roundabout at the A394 needs reprofiling but do we really need it to be dualled?

Change my mind...
The A30 carries 20k+ vpd, that's more than enough to justify a dual carriageway, even by shabby British standards, other European countries start building motorways at 10k vpd
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Herned wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 00:37
Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 22:49 Obviously a couple of smallish bypasses (st erth / crowlas) and the roundabout at the A394 needs reprofiling but do we really need it to be dualled?

Change my mind...
The A30 carries 20k+ vpd, that's more than enough to justify a dual carriageway, even by shabby British standards, other European countries start building motorways at 10k vpd
How does that compare between Roseworthy, Hayle Bypass and points west of that?
Herned

Post by Herned »

Hdeng16 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 07:18 How does that compare between Roseworthy, Hayle Bypass and points west of that?
That was the number for the A30 between St Erth and Longrock, it's higher than that east of there, but the DFT traffic count site is down right now so I can't check the figures
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

A bit off topic. Just found this about the Logins Moor roundabout to be improved. Although not sure why it costs £12m when there is no grade separation.

https://cornishstuff.com/2020/09/30/mon ... oundabout/
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:50 A bit off topic. Just found this about the Logins Moor roundabout to be improved. Although not sure why it costs £12m when there is no grade separation.

https://cornishstuff.com/2020/09/30/mon ... oundabout/
Already covered here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41911
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Not much information out there, but I found this :
https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/1 ... chiverton/

During overnight closures (9th to 14th November 2020) for maintenance, they will also be using the opportunity to do vegetation clearance and Virgin Media cable diversions for the dueling scheme.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 22:52 Not much information out there, but I found this :
https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/1 ... chiverton/

During overnight closures (9th to 14th November 2020) for maintenance, they will also be using the opportunity to do vegetation clearance and Virgin Media cable diversions for the dueling scheme.
Good to see some sort of joined up thinking on using the road closures to start clearing the vegetation ready for the construction works.
IAN

Post by IAN »

I thought that vegetation and services had already been dealt with previously and that September was meant to be the start of meaningful construction - i.e significant earthworks. Apparently, that's not the case!
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by IAN » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36

I thought that vegetation and services had already been dealt with previously and that September was meant to be the start of meaningful construction - i.e significant earthworks. Apparently, that's not the case!
Well who knows. I've been Googling hoping to at least find something about setting up site compounds etc. But mostly I just find job vacancies to do with the scheme. Well presumably if there is anything happening, it's not very newsworthy so far.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/ ... and-cross/

Small update on progress. They have been doing things such as site clearance, and setting up site compounds. Also in late November they moved into their main works phase.

This isn't much information, but it's the 1st significant new thing I have found for quite some time.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 03:31 https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/ ... and-cross/

Small update on progress. They have been doing things such as site clearance, and setting up site compounds. Also in late November they moved into their main works phase.

This isn't much information, but it's the 1st significant new thing I have found for quite some time.
Good news, I like the sound of moving into the main phase works
The M25 - The road to nowhere
owen b

Post by owen b »

Highways England update published today : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high ... n-new-year
"Since March, contractor Costain has been busy with the diversion of utilities, vegetation clearance and ground investigation work to inform the detailed design of the new route ahead of main earthworks and construction of new structures starting in early 2021..... work is now set to move into its main works phase next month. "
Owen
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Google Earth now shows how the area looked in July 2020.

There isn't much to see, but I'm wondering about a small area 300 meters west of the Carland Cross roundabout, on the south side of the A30. Could this be the early stages of setting up a site compound ?
Herned

Post by Herned »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:58 Google Earth now shows how the area looked in July 2020.

There isn't much to see, but I'm wondering about a small area 300 meters west of the Carland Cross roundabout, on the south side of the A30. Could this be the early stages of setting up a site compound ?
I drove past there on Christmas eve, it's definitely a compound for the works: it was the only sign of it I noticed
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

How much will the recent announcements of Lithium mining in West Cornwall affect this road upgrade?