Who owns Craigellachie Bridge ?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ruperts Trooper

Who owns Craigellachie Bridge ?

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-41941126

Efforts being made to determine exactly who owns it.
Lifelong motorhead
novaecosse

Re: Who owns Craigellachie Bridge ?

Post by novaecosse »

Ruperts Trooper wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-41941126

Efforts being made to determine exactly who owns it.
There was a situation with a former trunk road bridge on the A7.
Bypassed historically, bridge fell into disrepair.

Turned out it hadn't officially been handed over the Scottish Borders Council, so Transport Scotland was the owner.

Wonder if similar could apply here?
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I was going to stop here on Saturday morning to take a look, but by the time I'd negotiated my way round turning traffic I'd missed the turning (I was in Aberlour when I remembered).

There are a whole load of plaques and so on on and around the bridge. Only one is pictured on the Wiki, 2 others are on Geograph. All mention Moray Council, who appear to have been the presumed owners / guardians of the structure at the times.

The new bridge opened in 1972, when the route was trunk as far as I know, and the bridge spanned the county boundary between Moray and Banffshire - however it was restored in 1964 by the joint county councils. If it had remained with or been handed to either / both counties, then it would have been passed through Grampian to Moray. Otherwise it will lie with the Scottish Government I would assume, whether via Transport Scotland or Historic Scotland.

Locally we have got huge problems trying to trace ownership of various pieces of land which have been handed between various government bodies over the years, most of which are now defunct. It seems possible from our investigations that not all of the pieces of land were individually reassigned as the bodies were wound up, and so there simply are no records of ownership. It is possible that this is the case with the bridge too.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Ah that is where my bridge has gone! You know what it is like, you move houses, move jobs and some of your possessions just seem to get lost in the chaos. Sooooo glad I found it....