CARDIFF A4232 Eastern Bay Link Road - Phase 2

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Moyceyy

CARDIFF A4232 Eastern Bay Link Road - Phase 2

Post by Moyceyy »

Made a new thread for the second phase of the EBL.

We don't know much at this point, however, this cabinet meeting paper was released just under a year ago today (and slipped under my radar!) Source: https://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/documen ... %20EBL.pdf

What interested me the most is paragraph 18:
"A number of route alignment options will need to be evaluated including:
- Grade separated options that would provide a continuous route
(uninterrupted by junctions);
- At-grade options that would minimise the structures required including
junctions to provide local access; and finally
- Inland and foreshore alignment options."
I'm glad that they're considering (or have already considered!) a grade-separated option, as I don't think this road would be able to cope with the traffic levels if it were completed with at-grade junctions - it would change Cardiff's traffic pattern completely. I'm still a bit salty about the first phase being built with at-grade roundabouts, with NO consideration for futureproofing.

Also interesting is that they're considering foreshore and inland options. An aerial photo shows that an inland option would likely be at-grade unless they build it on a viaduct across the whole eastern section of the city, which I hugely doubt.

Another interesting point is paragraph 25; stating that
"the delivery of the EBL final phase will be essential to ensure that the impacts of the M4 project are effectively mitigated."
To me, this implies that they aim to have the second phase of the EBL finished before, or shortly after the Newport M4 scheme is finished.

Not much to go by, but I thought you guys might find it as interesting as I did. This road is very important to the future of Cardiff - not to mention that the Bay is pretty inaccessible from the east. Could we see a proposal soon?
Bristol.
Moyceyy

Re: CARDIFF A4232 Eastern Bay Link Road - Phase 2

Post by Moyceyy »

Here's an extremely basic map I've annotated with the most likely routes. Blue is Inland, and is an on-line dualling of Rover Way, red is Foreshore, which would be a new road. Theres no other clear alternatives.

From what I can see on the map, the blue option is more likely to be at grade, and the red option more likely to be grade-separated. However, there's no reason why the red option couldn't be at-grade, either.

Bristol.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I suspect the Rover Way option will be more palatable as it won't impact the waterfront which could be developed for other purposes.

If the traffic flows show that most traffic heads into the city centre anyway then the missing link could feasibly be at grade without causing the end of the world.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Moyceyy

Post by Moyceyy »

I suppose, but if the road serves to encourage more developments in the South East of Cardiff, then the benefits won't fully be realised unless its grade separated.

Compare the Western half of the a4232 for example... Leckwith (including Cardiff City Stadium), culverhouse cross, etc.

Then compare it to the SDR in Newport, the differences are obvious. (God I hate that road)
Bristol.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The important thing to realise is how much traffic from the east currently using the A4232 from Junction 33 will transfer to the improved Rover Way upon its completion. If virtually all traffic from the east going to places such as Penarth and Barry transfers then the at-grade junctions will be overwhelmed.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Truvelo wrote:The important thing to realise is how much traffic from the east currently using the A4232 from Junction 33 will transfer to the improved Rover Way upon its completion. If virtually all traffic from the east going to places such as Penarth and Barry transfers then the at-grade junctions will be overwhelmed.
If I were heading to Penarth or Barry from the east I'd still use Junction 33 as it would probably be a bit quicker. However I think traffic for Cardiff Bay itself would use Junction 29/30 if the A4232 is finished.

If either scheme does go ahead though it will still be better than what we have at the moment in that part of Cardiff.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Is Rover Way still unclassified or is it now officially part of it?
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

ajuk wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 23:02 Is Rover Way still unclassified or is it now officially part of it?
Still unclassified, but signed as (A4232) both ways now.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

For my sins, I use Rover Way often, usually westbound, and my observation about its current traffic problems is pretty simple. Somebody slapped two tiny roundabouts on it which bend the mainline horribly out of shape. This is the busiest freight road in Cardiff save for the M4 itself. The do-minimum option, to my mind, should be a straightening of the mainline so HGVs don't have to do their comical "I might crash so I'll go really slow" navigation. The traffic actually joining at those roundabouts is tiny compared to its impact on flow. Considering the induced demand effect that would be present if the PDR was finished grade separated it seems more likely, but then again the effect of crawling lorries is mitigated by a second lane. Of course based on its location and the Pengam Green traffic lights it will probably be a 40mph D2. Not exactly in the spirit of dualling.

Bonus points to any proposals which upend the gypsies and move them somewhere that isn't Cardiff. They've been sited so long they know the local police's families and friends by name. Not to mention the fact that living in a squalid location breeds further squalor, and living on the docks is pretty damn nasty. The Rover Way community is a disturbing mafia and it's been that was since I was a kid.
James

Post by James »

I'm suprised the Queens Gate roundabout wasn't GSJ'ed as part of phase 1. It's irritating seeing the shiny new road with the ski jump still visible on the opposite side.

Rover way is an exceedingly ugly/industrial road that would benefit from updating so can't see why they would want to build the route on any different alignment.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

James wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 22:51 I'm suprised the Queens Gate roundabout wasn't GSJ'ed as part of phase 1. It's irritating seeing the shiny new road with the ski jump still visible on the opposite side.

Rover way is an exceedingly ugly/industrial road that would benefit from updating so can't see why they would want to build the route on any different alignment.
I think the splayed carriageways have left the option for a D1 flyover open. However it may also be the case that the dimensions required on either side may mean that the flyover could not be built to current standards, and is thus dead in the water. I hope not - it would be pretty great to see Cardiff get its third flyover roundabout so many years after the previous two on the A470 and the A4232 south of Eastern Avenue.

It seems likely at the moment that any grade separation will be terminated at Ocean Way; I can't see any sensible way of grade separating around it given the cost and permanence of the surrounding construction. A freeflow link from Rover Way WB to the viaduct is possible and that would definitely help with the congestion WB on that road which is pretty much all day, every day.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I don't necessarily agree with the logic but I said further up thread it is likely the view is most journeys turn into the city centre here so the cost of a flyover wasn't justified.

I don't think a full expressway ring is likely but a D2 with redevelopment sites along it probably is how it'll be finished.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
DB617

Post by DB617 »

I was thinking the same but it doesn't match my experience of the road. There are plenty of people who work in southeast Cardiff who live in the Vale who use the road, and the roundabout is just an obstacle. I think grade separation at Queens Gate, for the sake of the sunk costs for the flyover end, is likely to not pass budget scrutiny wherein bits considered 'optional extras' will surely be cut out. The WG simply can't foot these sorts of bills, especially with the other structures in the city surely approaching big maintenance bills like Oldbury has generated on the M5.