Thames Crossing Proposals

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Thames Crossing Proposals

Post by c2R »

roadtester wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 09:00
c2R wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:30 Looks like the Ben Woollacott is on its way here - it's currently heading across Germany on the North Sea - East Sea link canal

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... WOOLLACOTT
It still seems to be negotiating the canal (colloquially referred to as the Kiel Canal I believe) - makes sense to go that way as opposed to “around the top” in something like a Woolwich ferry I suppose!

PS - I notice that its status is “moored” - I hope it hasn’t conked out or something - or maybe some kit is being fitted to the ferry in Germany or something?
Yeah, it stopped there on Saturday night and didn't move yesterday - maybe the crew have Sunday off - Germany is stricter on Sunday working than England. We'll see later I suppose where it goes next... It's not very fast (again because of what it is designed for), so unless they turn of its AIS equipment it's going to be difficult for it to hide!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

c2R wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:30 Looks like the Ben Woollacott is on its way here - it's currently heading across Germany on the North Sea - East Sea link canal

It still seems to be negotiating the canal (colloquially referred to as the Kiel Canal I believe) - makes sense to go that way as opposed to “around the top” in something like a Woolwich ferry I suppose!

PS - I notice that its status is “moored” - I hope it hasn’t conked out or something - or maybe some kit is being fitted to the ferry in Germany or something?
Do the Germans call it the Kiel-Kanal? I thought they always stuck to Nord-Ostsee-Kanal. And it was originally the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal before WW1.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 18:25

Do the Germans call it the Kiel-Kanal? I thought they always stuck to Nord-Ostsee-Kanal. And it was originally the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Kanal before WW1.
IME it’s what most English speaking people who know it well call it - see e.g, Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Canal
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
qwertyK

Lower Thames Crossing

Post by qwertyK »

What is the proposed route number of this road? I've heard them mention a "A14 option". Why would they call it A14 when the A14 already exists?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Lower Thames Crossing

Post by c2R »

That's the option reference, and has nothing to do with the actual A14.

There's a thread on this as well. You might want to try using the site search.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

c2R wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 09:31

Yeah, it stopped there on Saturday night and didn't move yesterday - maybe the crew have Sunday off - Germany is stricter on Sunday working than England. We'll see later I suppose where it goes next... It's not very fast (again because of what it is designed for), so unless they turn of its AIS equipment it's going to be difficult for it to hide!
I wonder if the same crew are moving both vessels - Ben Woollacott is still moored, but Dame Vera Lynn has left Gdansk and is heading for Keil - AIS anticipates arrival in two days... https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... ERA%20LYNN
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

c2R wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 13:44

I wonder if the same crew are moving both vessels - Ben Woollacott is still moored, but Dame Vera Lynn has left Gdansk and is heading for Keil - AIS anticipates arrival in two days... https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... ERA%20LYNN
Dame Vera Lynn arrived at Kiel. AIS reporting that she plans to sail shortly for Tilbury, arrival scheduled for lunchtime on the 6th November into Tilbury

Update at7.30: both vessels are now sailing together towards the Elbe on the canal.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Both vessels are now in Tilbury.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 19:47 Both vessels are now in Tilbury.
Just a layman's guess, but would all that loitering for several days in the Kiel canal followed by both crossing together suggest that they were waiting for a favourable weather window?

Can’t be much fun doing a major sea crossing in one of those!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

roadtester wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 19:54
Just a layman's guess, but would all that loitering for several days in the Kiel canal followed by both crossing together suggest that they were waiting for a favourable weather window?

Yes, I think that's definitely the case - ocean liners these are not!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

In an unfortunate demonstration of the minimal value of the Woolwich ferry, we are now in the middle of a THREE MONTH shutdown of the service. October 1 to December 31. You have to ask, if the ferry can be shut down for this length of time for planned works, how can it be justified as essential in any way.
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

WHBM wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 07:08 In an unfortunate demonstration of the minimal value of the Woolwich ferry, we are now in the middle of a THREE MONTH shutdown of the service. October 1 to December 31. You have to ask, if the ferry can be shut down for this length of time for planned works, how can it be justified as essential in any way.
Look up Cowes Floating Bridge on the Isle of Wight. It's more of a shock when it's actually running.

At least the Woolwich closure was planned.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

It's not a massive and heavily congested detour when the Cowes one closes though.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Berk

Post by Berk »

WHBM wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 07:08 In an unfortunate demonstration of the minimal value of the Woolwich ferry, we are now in the middle of a THREE MONTH shutdown of the service. October 1 to December 31. You have to ask, if the ferry can be shut down for this length of time for planned works, how can it be justified as essential in any way.
I know. All things being equal and all that. What’s another three months between friends. :roll:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I suspect that there isn't an alternative. If the piers are to be modified to include electromagnetic docking and refurbished (which they are) and made able to berth the new, larger vessels, and for berthing trials to be conducted (these are needed at the ports the vessel is to use so cant just be done elsewhere) time is needed. I'm also not sure how these hybrids will charge (if they need to) possibly overnight in situ? But that also if it is the case would require work... I would have thought disruption is being kept to a minimum, but it isn't the fault of the new ferries that successive administations have failed to build additional crossings in east London and that we're now in such a position.
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

roadtester wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 19:54

Especially in autumn, it might have been better if they'd arranged to have them delivered in July!

Or found a British yard, a shame that somewhere like Appledore (about to close due to no work) couldn't make such boats
Euan

Post by Euan »

Scratchwood wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 Or found a British yard, a shame that somewhere like Appledore (about to close due to no work) couldn't make such boats
But the new ferries would still have to navigate potentially rough waters to reach the Thames. Sailing from Appledore would require the ferries to round Land's End and Lizard Point. The ferries would also have to go that way if they were coming from places like Merseyside, the Firth of Clyde and Belfast. Sailing round the north of Scotland would be even less inviting.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

I know the North Sea *can* be treacherous, but it's never like that for long. Dutch and Thames barges used to cross regularly - not something I'd actually fancy doing, but obviously fine if you like that sort of thing (or are being paid!).

Plus, while the Woolwich reach never gets rough as such, the tides must be pretty fierce - these ferries will have plenty of power, which is definitely high up the list of things I'd want to see in any vessel I was going to sea in.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Just to follow up on this, the ferry didn't reopen "Before Christmas", nor did it open on "December 31", and the latest is it will be "sometime in February". The "sometime" meaning presumably they are still not sure. That's getting towards 6 months of closure.

It seems TfL are incapable of doing any project that opens anywhere near its original stated opening date.

https://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/w ... -1-5854864