A303 Weyhill Services making a comeback?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glom

Re: A303 Weyhill Services making a comeback?

Post by Glom »

Eastbound isn't open. There has been no progress in months. The site looks complete but nothing has been done to mark the slip roads and there is a temporary 50 limit for a short distance around the connection.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

It's odd, they have looked ready for ages (I earlier predicted an Easter opening!). But now they've missed a summer's busy trading.
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Are there any abandoned MSSs?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

ajuk wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 00:08 Are there any abandoned MSSs?
Yes, Strensham northbound: http://www.motorwayservices.info/strens ... m5/history

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0586156 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Glom

Post by Glom »

The westbound markings are in place so that's at least something.
BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy »

Saw this posted on a Facebook group without a quoted source, so it might not be complete accurate:
It is now earmarked that the north site will be opened on 5th September and the south will follow on 14th September.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Eastbound definitely open when I drove past this morning - tbh, I thought the westbound was too.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Starbucks are suggesting Weyhill West is open although they have not posted scheduled times on their website yet.

You can also go after a job there if you want https://www.indeed.co.uk/Euro-Garages-jobs-in-Weyhill
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 Eastbound definitely open when I drove past this morning - tbh, I thought the westbound was too.
Just for the absence of doubt, on my return west yesterday afternoon, both directions were open. The westbound coffee place seemed to be doing great business.
Glom

Post by Glom »

What's the junction like?
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The old Happy Eater chain mad a series of coordinated investments in services along the A303 in the 1980s, all built by Dunnings, also of Weyhill, who were a significant regional building contractor in the South at the time and had their headquarters and plant yard there. The restaurants sold out to Little Chef in the mid-1990s.
AndySteele02

Post by AndySteele02 »

Is there any old photos of the old A303 Little Chef Weyhill Services in use before its closure in 2005
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Glom wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 What's the junction like?
From what I saw on the way to and from the Exeter Awayday, reasonable quality sliproads in and out. The services are standalone and not at a junction. Looked better than 90% of A-road services, anyway.
SteveA30

Re: A303 Weyhill Services is back.

Post by SteveA30 »

Weyhill yesterday w/bnd. E/bnd seems to be similar in layout.
BP/Spar/Greggs/Subway and a separate Starbucks.
Lessons learnt from older sites, much larger building and more parking. Only lorry spaces are missing, unless their were some behind the shop that I missed.

Feel free to use in any services websites, by saving as.....
They aren't mine, any photo set free on the internet belongs to everyone and no-one. I've seen several of mine crop up in unexpected places uncredited, not a problem.*

*because after several shares, the origins become lost.
Attachments
Weyhill 1.jpg
Weyhill 2.jpg
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Johnathan404

Re: A303 Weyhill Services is back.

Post by Johnathan404 »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 21:02 Feel free to use in any services websites, by saving as.....
They aren't mine, any photo set free on the internet belongs to everyone and no-one. I've seen several of mine crop up in unexpected places, not a problem.
Due to basic morality, I can't use photos that you have downloaded and taken it upon yourself to re-licence without even having the courtesy to tell the person who did the work, or even to acknowledge them. Besides, I have a team who very kindly volunteered to go out of their way to take their own photos of Weyhill, which happen to be of a vastly higher quality and were published a long time ago on a page which was linked to on this very thread.

Of course, had they have known there are people who take it upon themselves to give permission for your work to be re-used by much larger websites because "I don't care so why should they", they may not have bothered.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

No, you misunderstood, I took them on Saturday. They aren't 'mine' for the reasons stated. Once uploaded, they belong to everyone and no-one. The internet is a global community, where ownership is a redundant concept.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

SteveA30 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 21:46 No, you misunderstood, I took them on Saturday. They aren't 'mine' for the reasons stated. Once uploaded, they belong to everyone and no-one. The internet is a global community, where ownership is a redundant concept.
Thank you for the clarity and I do apologise for my misunderstanding and rudeness in the face of your kind offer. The idea of owning a photo has been debated here before and is not relevant to this thread but the notion that "they won't mind because I don't" - which is obviously what I saw - is very much a red flag for me.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham