The A70 from Lanark to Cumnock

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Robert Kilcoyne

Re: The A70 from Lanark to Cumnock

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

bart wrote:
scott125 wrote:
bart wrote: I always take the A701. There's almost nothing to get stuck behind.
Do you find it quick ?
Yes. I haven't timed either journey but Google maps says they're basically the same. However, the A701 feels quicker because of the lack of traffic so you typically only have to slow down for bends and the occasional village. And the slower twisty bits are fun in a decent car -- there's a psychological sense that makes a series of 40mph bends feel less slow than crawling through a village at 40mph. There are also some sections where it's possible to drive in excess of the speed limit if the roads are dry, as long as you remain cautious when approaching unsighted bends.
I have not travelled the whole of the A701 between Beattock and Edinburgh, but I went as far as Broughton (the only village of any substance between Moffat and Penicuik) and it was very quiet indeed. Moffat is a lovely small town where you can enjoy a rest or a walk after coming off the A74(M) and there is an excellent car park about five miles further north where you can enjoy a spectacular view of the Devil's Beef Tub.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I'm making a journey up to Dundee in a couple of weeks, and this thread came to mind. Was thinking of taking the A70 from the A74(M) towards Lanark, and then across to bag the new FRB and Tay Bridge. I don't have a need to get there rapidly, though I don't want to add several hours to my journey. So it'll make a pleasant change to using the motorways towards Glasgow.

I'm just trying to work out a logical route beyond Lanark. Either I continue along the A70, turning off left before Balermo at Kirknewton, and hitting the FRB approach roads somehow. Or hit the A706 towards the Livingston area and M8. Anyone with local knowledge know the best option? Will be in the area about 9 or 10am, and passenger won't be a map reader.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Rigside used to strike me as one bleak place in the nineties. I had a job with a magazine company in the nineties and we passed here coming back from Lanark, I can recall driving past in the evening and seeing a row of brightly lit bungalows and these thirties cottage flats behind( two storey council flats) that were mostly boarded up save for a few that were still occupied with bare lightbulbs showing. The area manager said that Rigside was being used as an overspill for the homeless in Glasgow who might appreciate the countryside more than somewhere like the east end of Glasgow.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

If you've not driven it before, the A801 is sabristically interesting and not too far out of your way.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: A801 :

The A801 is an interesting route, a road that came to be built with the inauguration of motorway building in Scotland. Originally nothing more than a road from the A706 to Laurieston, it hijacked that road's title when the need for a M8-M9 link in central Scotland grew, and has moved almost completely off its original alignment, mostly on to completely new-build tarmac.

The road's southern terminus is in East Whitburn on the A705, and within a couple of hundred yards of

... Read More
stuzer

Post by stuzer »

My better half used to live in Cumnock and in our courting days I initially used to do the M90-M8-A725-M74-A74(M)-A70 route from Fife down to Ayrshire. After a while of doing that I realised that the A985-M876-M80-M8-M77-A76 route was about 15 minutes quicker, had a better quality of road and allowed for a few decent places for a quick breakfast/coffee/loo stop en route (the usual McDonald's or Costa Coffee branches just off the motorway) rather than the poor man's option of Cairn Lodge Services at Happenden. I would occasionally mix it up and use the M73 and M74 to avoid Glasgow City Centre but even now, visiting the in-laws we very rarely go down the A70; the only time we would consider it is if there was a major event in Glasgow like the World Pipe Band Championships or a Cup Final at Hampden Park.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

stuzer wrote:... the World Pipe Band Championships ...
Yup, that sounds like it's worth going a very long way round to avoid.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
A72

Post by A72 »

ravenbluemoon wrote:I'm making a journey up to Dundee in a couple of weeks, and this thread came to mind. Was thinking of taking the A70 from the A74(M) towards Lanark, and then across to bag the new FRB and Tay Bridge. I don't have a need to get there rapidly, though I don't want to add several hours to my journey. So it'll make a pleasant change to using the motorways towards Glasgow.

I'm just trying to work out a logical route beyond Lanark. Either I continue along the A70, turning off left before Balermo at Kirknewton, and hitting the FRB approach roads somehow. Or hit the A706 towards the Livingston area and M8. Anyone with local knowledge know the best option? Will be in the area about 9 or 10am, and passenger won't be a map reader.

I would recommend this route. A706 offers nice views of the central belt, northbound, once you are passed Forth. Stop at the lay-by, just beyond Newton, on the A904 (the gold star on the map), for splendid views of the bridges.
Attachments
M74-M90.jpg
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Thank you for the suggestions, I did the trip on Wednesday using A72's excellent suggestion above, returning on the Thursday using A92 from the Tay Bridge, and round Edinburgh to use the A1.

The aftereffects of the snow from last week were very apparent in the central belt area. Plenty of snow by the sides of the roads from the A74(M) onwards, pretty much disappeared by the Forth valley, and then appeared again on the M90 around the Ochil(?) Hills. The A706 in particular looked like it had been ploughed a couple of times, given the couple of feet of dirty snow piled up on the sides of the road.

Rigside and the settlements along the A70 and A706 didn't seem as bad as I thought they would be, a bit strange seeing council style estates seemingly plonked in the middle of nowhere... though I can only imagine how grim it would have been to live in some of those places after the industry died. The only delay we got heading up was on the way into Lanark, as the road was being dug up by the water board - presumably burst pipes from the cold snap. A801 certainly was an interesting road. Well engineered up to the point where it veers off to the east onto a really badly aligned section. My 1986 AA Road Atlas shows the missing section as "under construction", even though it obviously never happened. Was most impressed by the viewpoint of the three Forth bridges at Newton. I think I shall make a return visit to the area when I have more time (which I will once the redundancy goes through...) - I've only ever passed through on the way north.

Dundee surprised me pleasantly as a city, it really had a good feel to the place from the night I had there. I realised the historic connection to Gothenburg - one of the (non-marmalade) Keillers set up a lot of industry there, and his name is remembered in one of the parks over there. The return down the A1 made a nice change. The S2 sections didn't seem too frustrating given the regular D2 bits. A few more S2+1 sections would work wonders for that section if there is no will to dual the lot. Plenty more snow piled up along the Borders and Northumberland section. Must have been pretty bad up there.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

If you really have time and you're travelling from Carlisle to Edinburgh, then there's always the B709 from Langholm to Heriot. You pass the Sam Ye Ling Tibetan monestary, the Duke of Buccleugh's castle, and go on a long single track section through a forest that could be in Finland, before the road widens again and you across the moors. Not recommended at night or in winter, but a good drive on a fine day.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glenn A wrote:If you really have time and you're travelling from Carlisle to Edinburgh, then there's always the B709 from Langholm to Heriot. You pass the Sam Ye Ling Tibetan monestary, the Duke of Buccleugh's castle, and go on a long single track section through a forest that could be in Finland, before the road widens again and you across the moors. Not recommended at night or in winter, but a good drive on a fine day.
The B709 would not be recommended in wet weather either, as you would drive through Eskdalemuir, which experiences some of the highest rainfall totals in the U.K.:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskdalemuir
scott125

Post by scott125 »

Glenn A wrote:If you really have time and you're travelling from Carlisle to Edinburgh, then there's always the B709 from Langholm to Heriot. You pass the Sam Ye Ling Tibetan monestary, the Duke of Buccleugh's castle, and go on a long single track section through a forest that could be in Finland, before the road widens again and you across the moors. Not recommended at night or in winter, but a good drive on a fine day.
Always wanted to do that road . At night cant be many people using it !
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

scott125 wrote:
Always wanted to do that road . At night cant be many people using it !
It's a decent stretch of road as there isn't much traffic on it, but you have to watch for the timber lorries in the forest.
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

ravenbluemoon wrote: I realised the historic connection to Gothenburg - one of the (non-marmalade) Keillers set up a lot of industry there, and his name is remembered in one of the parks over there.
But go to Gothenburg wearing anything with the name of the city on it and you'll discover a completely different link as everyone wants to talk to you about the 1987 UEFA Cup Final.