Switch Island - Intelligent Roads Studs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Switch Island - Intelligent Roads Studs

Post by A303Chris »

This HE press release came into my in box over the weekend, regarding the Switch island improvement scheme saying the scheme will include road studs which light up when the lights change. the burb says,

"The LED road studs light up when traffic lights turn green so drivers can clearly see which lane they should follow. Cables under the road surface connect them to traffic lights through a nearby automatic controller unit.

The studs can be visible up to 1,000 metres away – far greater than traditional reflective road studs – and have been proven to help stop drivers drifting between lanes, reducing the risk of collisions."

I must admit, I haven't seem anything like this over here, obviously, or in Europe. While the press release refers to them being used on the Hinehead Tunnel, they are not constantly changing like they will be here.

I wonder what they will be like, but they could make the junction look like a Christmas Tree
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Piatkow

Re: Switch Island - Intelligent Roads Studs

Post by Piatkow »

Maybe they will encourage drivers to actually believe the signage telling them which lane to use although I doubt it.

I haven't bothered posting on Numpty Overload but I have lost count of the number of times I have seen cars being cut up by drivers panicing when they realise that the lane that they are on actaully spirals to the signed exit and isn't a way to undertake the traffic to the next one.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Piatkow wrote:Maybe they will encourage drivers to actually believe the signage telling them which lane to use although I doubt it.

I haven't bothered posting on Numpty Overload but I have lost count of the number of times I have seen cars being cut up by drivers panicing when they realise that the lane that they are on actaully spirals to the signed exit and isn't a way to undertake the traffic to the next one.
Illuminated studs do a very effective job of guarding the hold points at runways where aircraft cross the live runway en route to the take-off point for runway two (watch Manchester Airport's runway one in the dark - it becomes quite hypnotic). However, might I suggest that whether or not the road studs are illuminated is the least of the problems at Switch Island, which must be close to celebrating 45 years of messing up journeys in the east Liverpool area.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

Wherever I have seen these I have not been very impressed. Firstly, they work on runways where there are no sharp corners. On roundabouts you have too any curves for them to convey a clear message.

Secondly the roundabout layout should be clear enough to be easily navigable in the day, which should in turn mean a box of tricks isn't needed during the night.

I'm a fan of intelligent road studs in general, just not to support traffic lights on roundabouts.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Sheriffhall Roundabout on the A720 has been running a trial of the same idea. Seems to have won quite a few industry awards.

https://www.clearview-intelligence.com/ ... -edinburgh
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

tipsynurse wrote:Secondly the roundabout layout should be clear enough to be easily navigable in the day, which should in turn mean a box of tricks isn't needed during the night.
It sounds like a very elaborate solution to a problem which should never have existed in the first place.

Still, there will always be big roundabouts, so hopefully the research will prove useful.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Already under discussion since 29 Jan on page 4 of the A5036 thread.
bart

Post by bart »

Piatkow wrote:Maybe they will encourage drivers to actually believe the signage telling them which lane to use although I doubt it.

A gantry on the A5036 leading up to Switch Island would help. It's quite intimidating driving along with all the artics and the lane indication signs are often obscured.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I drove through today and some of these are now working. They are unlit until the green light shows, then they light up as guidance marks.

The junction also has mast arm signals everywhere and a new gantry from the A59.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Debaser wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 Sheriffhall Roundabout on the A720 has been running a trial of the same idea. Seems to have won quite a few industry awards.

https://www.clearview-intelligence.com/ ... -edinburgh
Works really well there, could do with something similar at Scott Fyffe in Dundee, it's back to being an utter shambles again.
bart

Post by bart »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 15:51 I drove through today
I'm very sorry to hear that.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

PaulLothian

Post by PaulLothian »

As far as my regular use of Sheriffhall is concerned, although I generally approve of the studs, there are two issues.
- Not all lanes are separated with them, meaning that drivers suddenly start to drift out of lane. Alarming when it is a large HGV veering towards me as I head for the east-bound A 6106.
- Since they were installed, I have experienced more instances of vehicles ignoring red lights as they go round the roundabout, and I wonder if the illuminated studs are a distraction? Perhaps they should be used in conjunction with illuminated red stop lines, synchronised with the traffic lights!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

A long, long time ago I wondered whether we'd ever see light-up lane layouts, to assist with tunnel closures.
PaulLothian wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 16:18 - Since they were installed, I have experienced more instances of vehicles ignoring red lights as they go round the roundabout, and I wonder if the illuminated studs are a distraction? Perhaps they should be used in conjunction with illuminated red stop lines, synchronised with the traffic lights!
It shouldn't be technically difficult to do that - it has been done for stop lines:
14907696_10209878645754399_4331603725971746817_n[1].jpg
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
marconaf

Post by marconaf »

Used this regularly in the 2000s, and bar Naples and bits of Kabul, is the only place on the planet where, despite seeing myself as a very competent driver and navigator; that I pretty much every time got it wrong and ended up confusing myself and having to make either last second changes at risk, or go somewhere I didn’t want to.

This strikes me as one of those decisions when the fact that you are trying to do something so novel to improve such a persistent issue, should tell you that the entire thing is unworkable.

It is always tempting to believe “one more push” will do it. Although history suggests otherwise.