Mancunian Way

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jeni
Banned

Re: Mancunian Way

Post by Jeni »

wrinkly wrote:
drpsg wrote:In the 90s you could carry on northbound under the Mancunian way, then do a semi circle and either go southbound on Upper Brook Street, or towards Umist (Sackville Street?) along the 2 way - very tight exit slip of the Mancunian way.
I'd forgotten that. Or maybe it wasn't like that in the distant days when I knew it best.
That layout only disappeared a couple of years ago
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Both the Sackville and Grovesnor routes were largely ignored by signs with city centre traffic almost being dumped on the westbound A57(M) by default - the expectation presumably being to take Cambridge Street as this has more capacity.

You can only go up Princess Street as far as Major Street anyway; it is only really intended as access to Chinatown and not in any way a through route.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote:Both the Sackville and Grovesnor routes were largely ignored by signs with city centre traffic almost being dumped on the westbound A57(M) by default - the expectation presumably being to take Cambridge Street as this has more capacity.
Dropping lots of traffic up Sackville Street literally through the middle of the UMIST campus would have been a terrible idea given the amount of pedestrian and cycle traffic generated.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Exactly, it's still hardly a suitable route into the city centre.
Bryn

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Removing beautiful 1960s enclosed pedestrian overpasses doesn't help either. Now pedestrians have to fight through traffic to get from one part of the uni to the other.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Truvelo wrote:Removing beautiful 1960s enclosed pedestrian overpasses doesn't help either. Now pedestrians have to fight through traffic to get from one part of the uni to the other.
There was a tunnel underneath at the same location too. Sackville Street literally went through the building...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I had an interesting conversation recently with a friend about the A57(M) versus the A58(M), as in "Which is better"?

He said that the Mancunian Way was a more ambitious and impressive project, because it is elevated. I guess that does make it more spectacular, and when I drove it at night it certainly was.

However, I defended the Leeds equivalent by saying that it was deliberately cut down into the ground to make it relatively unobtrusive, and I think it achieves that aim very well. I'd imagine that the non-Sabristically-minded can walk over it on Woodhouse Lane without really noticing that it's there!

I'd be interested to know what others think?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
bucephalus

Post by bucephalus »

Owain wrote:I had an interesting conversation recently with a friend about the A57(M) versus the A58(M), as in "Which is better"?

He said that the Mancunian Way was a more ambitious and impressive project, because it is elevated. I guess that does make it more spectacular, and when I drove it at night it certainly was.

However, I defended the Leeds equivalent by saying that it was deliberately cut down into the ground to make it relatively unobtrusive, and I think it achieves that aim very well. I'd imagine that the non-Sabristically-minded can walk over it on Woodhouse Lane without really noticing that it's there!

Having lived in Leeds for a few years and now Manchester, I would say the A58 / a64 (m) wins. The tunnels, braiding, and right hand exit clinch it for me
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

bucephalus wrote:Having lived in Leeds for a few years and now Manchester, I would say the A58 / a64 (m) wins. The tunnels, braiding, and right hand exit clinch it for me
But then there's no Leeds equivalent of the Garwood St entrance, the Crown St exit, or the (now former) ski-jump. And there's no part of the Leeds Inner Ring Road that's a non-motorway Special Road; and the A635(M) is shorter than the A64(M)!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

All three of the northern city centre motorways are special in their own right.

Way-ay, champion, buzzin'.
Bryn

lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

bucephalus wrote:
Owain wrote:I had an interesting conversation recently with a friend about the A57(M) versus the A58(M), as in "Which is better"?

Having lived in Leeds for a few years and now Manchester, I would say the A58 / a64 (m) wins. The tunnels, braiding, and right hand exit clinch it for me
Also a more enjoyable drive on a bike - when I was having physio at at Jimmy's, the ride on the IRR was the highlight of the trip.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Bryn666 wrote:All three of the northern city centre motorways are special in their own right.

Way-ay, champion, buzzin'.
What three are those - Liverpool, Sheffield and Edinburgh?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Salford is a city too, and it has the M602.

I think Bryn was probably thinking of Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

But doesn't have what could be construed as a "city centre", especially as it is the borough that has city status, not the town.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!