Queensferry crossing affected by accident

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Grey

Re: Queensferry crossing affected by accident

Post by Grey »

If the Queensferry Crossing was 3 lanes and future proof then that accident might not of happened
Grey
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Grey wrote:If the Queensferry Crossing was 3 lanes and future proof then that accident might not of happened
Were you there then? there's certainly no evidence in the report to suggest anything of the sort....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Grey

Post by Grey »

c2R wrote:
Grey wrote:If the Queensferry Crossing was 3 lanes and future proof then that accident might not of happened
Were you there then? there's certainly no evidence in the report to suggest anything of the sort....
It was just a thought as the lorry would of been in lane 1 and the other vehicles in lane 2/3 not just 2. Also I said might not of happened
Grey
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Also if the wind was blowing 1 degree to the east of what it was at 1m/s faster than it was, the moon was slightly higher on the horizon and...
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Its a road and drivers are fallible ergo RTA's WILL happen especially in bad weather, you want fewer accidents - use the railway or fly.

Note 1) I have seen plenty of RTA's on 3 lane motorways.
Note 2) There ain't no such thing as future proofing.
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

Without being at the accident it's impossible to say, but police seem to want one "clear" lane between an incident and a live lane before they'll open it at least within the first hour or so afterwards.

In fact around here they will tend to close a lane on the opposite carriageway too especially if the crash barrier has been hit.

So a two lane accident on D2 becomes closed + D1

On D3M its hard shoulder + D2M.

However obviously on a bridge where each lane is bloody expensive it's pointless building D16M to cover every possible eventuality.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

tipsynurse wrote:However obviously on a bridge where each lane is bloody expensive it's pointless building D16M to cover every possible eventuality.
D16M now I would like to see that on a normal motorway, but I doubt any motorway in the world is that wide! That would essentially be about 130 metres wide from boundary fence to boundary fence!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Not quite D16M, but remember that there is this 20-lane road (single carriageway, technically) in Burma. They visited it in Top Gear a few years ago.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

orudge wrote:Not quite D16M, but remember that there is this 20-lane road (single carriageway, technically) in Burma. They visited it in Top Gear a few years ago.
We would cry out for a road like that in the UK were its busy!
Burns

Post by Burns »

lotrjw wrote:
orudge wrote:Not quite D16M, but remember that there is this 20-lane road (single carriageway, technically) in Burma. They visited it in Top Gear a few years ago.
Really? It's a waste of space. You'd be better off with two alternative D3s rather than one D6.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Burns wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
Really? It's a waste of space. You'd be better off with two alternative D3s rather than one D6.
Good point but if the choice was 1 jam packed D3 or a S20 I think an S20 would be most people's choice as it would get the traffic moving.

Yes 2 D3s would likely solve the problem better, as they could take traffic in different directions.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

So if it’s costing, say, £20 million a mile for a D3M (8 lanes), presumably it’d be around £50 million a mile for an S20. Plus the huge amount of environmental damage caused. And imagine the merge back from D10 to D3 or D2... as Burns would say, we’d probably connect it to another road using a pair of mini roundabouts. ;)

Actually, the Burmese mega highway basically reduces to S2 (maybe it was D2) to cross a river - I think we had a topic about it before a year or so ago.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

orudge wrote:So if it’s costing, say, £20 million a mile for a D3M (8 lanes), presumably it’d be around £50 million a mile for an S20. Plus the huge amount of environmental damage caused. And imagine the merge back from D10 to D3 or D2... as Burns would say, we’d probably connect it to another road using a pair of mini roundabouts. ;)

Actually, the Burmese mega highway basically reduces to S2 (maybe it was D2) to cross a river - I think we had a topic about it before a year or so ago.
Im talking from a user's standpoint and if that was the case then I would hope that as roads veered off that the lanes dropped off with them.
Of course from a design standpoint having two or three D3Ms or D4Ms would be better.
Burns

Post by Burns »

orudge wrote:So if it’s costing, say, £20 million a mile for a D3M (8 lanes), presumably it’d be around £50 million a mile for an S20. Plus the huge amount of environmental damage caused. And imagine the merge back from D10 to D3 or D2... as Burns would say, we’d probably connect it to another road using a pair of mini roundabouts. ;)

I'm sure I remember it ending on at a T-junction as well. I'm sure it's only as big as it is so it can double up as a runway.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Burns wrote:

I'm sure I remember it ending on at a T-junction as well. I'm sure it's only as big as it is so it can double up as a runway.
Or some kind of military procession route?