Gaps in the motorway system: how they cope?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Enceladus

Gaps in the motorway system: how they cope?

Post by Enceladus »

I know that in the UK, the spate of motorway building between the early 1960s and the mid 1980s meant that there were several gaps between continuous sections of motorway where motorway traffic had to use A roads to connect between to motorways. A few that come to mind offhand are the gaps between the M1 and the M6 for Northwest bound traffic, gaps between completed sections of the M25, the gap at tbe Avon crossing in Bristol where the already completed M5 sections at Filton abd Gordano had no Avonmouth bridge to use for a few years. Some other gaps were on the M20, M4 between Maidstone and Tormarton and more such gaps.

Were they a real frustration? Can you regale of tales of dealing with these gaps. I know some didn't last long but others persisted. Was the standard of the connecting trunk roads adequate to cope with traffic...or not!?
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Chris Bertram

Re: Gaps in the motorway system: how they cope?

Post by Chris Bertram »

I do remember the gap in the M20, the road was certainly quite busy and moved slowly. This was in 1989.

The Avon gap on the M5 was a pain in the rear end. It meant that the Cumberland Basin complex remained an issue beyond when it should have. We suffered that a couple of times when taking grandparents to Bristol airport for their holidays.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It really depended on the gap, whether the new motorway was on an existing corridor (or not), and how much of the rest of the route was completed. The Winchester bypass suffered appalling delays, whereas the M40 gap was so huge that it didn't make too much of a difference. The last section of the A20 was bad during holiday season, but not appallingly so most of the year, whereas the M25 east of J25 was a new corridor so wasn't too bad.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

I remember travelling west on the M4 to The Gower in the early 90s (August 93 or 94) when part of a new section had just opened, and I think another part was still under construction. I remember it being an exciting rollercoaster on the coach, trying to get it up to 70 on a downhill section (it could do it, as proven on the M5 / A38 around Exeter).

However, to answer the question, I don't remember any delays, just the huge disappointment when Alan said he had to slow down for a roundabout when we were at about 68½ mph on the speedo! :driving:

Likewise, travelling up to Scotland in August 1990 didn't prove problematic with the long gap of the A74 as far as I can remember, but other than the huge excitement of crossing the border, I don't remember anything with much clarity from that trip. It was all too exciting. More recently, the Cumberland Gap never gave any real trouble, even when they were upgrading, although the same cannot be said for the M80 which was often a tedious crawl whilst the works were ongoing.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Going back to about 1981, there were still gaps in the S Wales M4 - around Bridgend, and across the Neath estuary. The latter wasn't too bad, the A48 was dualled, but the former was a trial as the earlier non-motorway bypass, to the south of town rather than the north, had to try to take the strain.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

I do vaguely remember the M9 spur stopping abruptly and then the long crawl to the toll booth to cross the forth road bridge.
drpsg

Post by drpsg »

not quite gaps in the motorway system but I do vaguely remember days out to North Wales in the late 80s/early 90s along the A55 as that got upgraded, especially when it was dualled either side of Conway, but before the tunnel was complete, but also other sections like Rhuallt
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

The best example you will get is surely the extension of the M3.

By the time the road reached J8 in the 1960s there was a clear and relatively high-standard route from London to Southampton, and it was clear this would soon be a motorway, but it took about 30 years to complete.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Between 1984 and 1997 the M65 gap caused a few problems. Was very welcome when the link to the M6 was finished.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote:The best example you will get is surely the extension of the M3.

By the time the road reached J8 in the 1960s there was a clear and relatively high-standard route from London to Southampton, and it was clear this would soon be a motorway, but it took about 30 years to complete.
I think I would add to that, and say the M6/A74 in the 60s/early 70s, because it was slowly being extended, but gaps were still present. So you would bowl along on the motorway... only to be directed off at the next exit, back to the A-roads.

It also needs to be remembered that quite a few of our A-roads (especially the ones that were later detrunked) really don’t meet modern standards for long-distance roads. A few (like the old A46) have even been downgraded to B-roads. I’m sure it’s the same in Ireland too.
vlad

Post by vlad »

There was the roundabout on the A80 in Cumbernauld, which by the 2000s was the only place you'd need to stop between Plymouth and Perth. I only went that way a couple of times but I remember queues going back a few miles.

I'd mention the A8000 as well only I think most people have deliberately chosen to forget about it. :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

From the SABRE Wiki: A8000 :

The A8000 was an A-road which used to be one of the most important roads in Scotland, essentially performing the function which should have been given to a motorway or dual carriageway - that of carrying traffic from the M9 through to the A90 and across the Forth Road Bridge. But instead of being a motorway, this was in fact just an ordinary single-carriageway road, accessed via a

... Read More