M6 J2-4 Smart Works

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

M6 J2-4 Smart Works

Post by Big L »

The speed cameras went up a couple of weeks ago. I guess work will begin soon.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
clive1975

Re: M6 J2-4 Smart Works

Post by clive1975 »

Cue years of 50mph crawling........
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Oh great thats one good option for heading to Yorkshire to see family from where I live scuppered. I guess its the A46 and M69 instead!
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
fras

Post by fras »

It won't do the finances of the M6 Toll any good either.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Miles of roadworks on the north-westbound approach to J3a will be a very effective promotion for the M6 Toll. The fact the roadworks end barely half a mile after doesn't matter: you won't know that if you're on the BNRR! People like to think they've made a wise move and I suspect there will be a lot of people paying their money thinking they've done exactly that.

(I realise there will be signs counting down to the end of the roadworks, but most motorists won't trust these as they don't explicitly say where the end of the roadworks are and are actually counting down to the change in road layout. Then you have the classic case of the M3, where 7 miles of roadworks ended with a sign saying saying "more roadworks 6 miles ahead".)
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Johnathan404 wrote:Miles of roadworks on the north-westbound approach to J3a will be a very effective promotion for the M6 Toll. The fact the roadworks end barely half a mile after doesn't matter: you won't know that if you're on the BNRR! People like to think they've made a wise move and I suspect there will be a lot of people paying their money thinking they've done exactly that.

(I realise there will be signs counting down to the end of the roadworks, but most motorists won't trust these as they don't explicitly say where the end of the roadworks are and are actually counting down to the change in road layout. Then you have the classic case of the M3, where 7 miles of roadworks ended with a sign saying saying "more roadworks 6 miles ahead".)
They don't bother on the M6 J16-J19 even signing how long the roadworks are, presumably as they are so long in length.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

brummie_rob wrote: They don't bother on the M6 J16-J19 even signing how long the roadworks are, presumably as they are so long in length.
Whereas the M6 in Cheshire goes through a largely rural area with no very large towns nearby, the M6 between Junctions 2 and 4 is effectively a northern bypass of Coventry, therefore severe delays in these road works could have a significant impact on traffic volumes on the roads around Coventry, in particular on the A45 between the M42 and Tollbar Island and the A46 between Tollbar Island and the M6.

Fortunately, the M40 and M42 provide an obvious alternative route for long distance travel from London and the South East to Birmingham and the North West.
Robert Kilcoyne

Johnathan404 wrote:Miles of roadworks on the north-westbound approach to J3a will be a very effective promotion for the M6 Toll. The fact the roadworks end barely half a mile after doesn't matter: you won't know that if you're on the BNRR! People like to think they've made a wise move and I suspect there will be a lot of people paying their money thinking they've done exactly that.
However, if you are travelling south on the M6 Toll towards London, you could avoid these road works by staying on the M42 and using the M40 instead. I wonder whether Highways England will erect any signs on the M6 Toll and on the southbound M42 suggesting that traffic heading to London should use the M40.
M19

Post by M19 »

The M42 & M40 will be even wiser, as the "Smart" motorway works between J13 & 16 of the M1 are due start in May. Going by the time it's taken between J16 and J19, including the barrier works, that will be about four years. For that amount of time you could have built a new motorway from scratch, and who'd have thought it, widened it properly in even less time with the proper junction improvement that were planned.

Are the contractors doing this for a fixed cost or by the hour? Makes you wonder doesn't it?
M19
Robert Kilcoyne

M19 wrote:The M42 & M40 will be even wiser, as the "Smart" motorway works between J13 & 16 of the M1 are due start in May. Going by the time it's taken between J16 and J19, including the barrier works, that will be about four years. For that amount of time you could have built a new motorway from scratch, and who'd have thought it, widened it properly in even less time with the proper junction improvement that were planned.
In that case, the M42 and M40 will become the obvious route to London from the North West and Birmingham. The distance between Junctions 13 and 16 is 23.6 miles, so that is even longer than the distance between Junctions 16 and 19 on the M6 in Cheshire. Highways England should erect signs on the M1 in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire to warn drivers of the road works further south, so that drivers could use the A42, M42 and M40, or even the A14 and A1/A1(M) to reach London. I appreciate that it would mean that drivers heading to north London would have to use more of the M25, but it may still be better than having to negotiate over 20 miles of motorway at 50 mph at best, but probably at little better than 40 mph.
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

Oh great the queues approaching M40 j4 southbound will be even more unbearable if it becomes the only 50mph SPECs free route from the Midlands to the south east!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

M19 wrote:"Smart" motorway works
You know it's really bloody annoying when people put it in quotes like this. Please stop.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

lotrjw wrote:Oh great thats one good option for heading to Yorkshire to see family from where I live scuppered. I guess its the A46 and M69 instead!
Really? All for a few minutes?

The longest such stretch I can remember seeing in recent times is the M6 in Cheshire which must be about 15 miles. The difference between 50 and 70 is all of five minutes.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

hoagy_ytfc wrote:
lotrjw wrote:Oh great thats one good option for heading to Yorkshire to see family from where I live scuppered. I guess its the A46 and M69 instead!
Really? All for a few minutes?

The longest such stretch I can remember seeing in recent times is the M6 in Cheshire which must be about 15 miles. The difference between 50 and 70 is all of five minutes.
Just annoyed thats an option thats slower, its not just driving at 50mph you get bunched up traffic ect. Im glad I still have other options though.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
M19

Post by M19 »

Arcuarius wrote:
M19 wrote:"Smart" motorway works
You know it's really bloody annoying when people put it in quotes like this. Please stop.
..but it's quite a irony wouldn't you agree?
Hence.

I find the way that some people few put things across quite annoying myself but I do like to exercise a degree of tolerance rather than snipe.

Anyway back to the topic in hand.

Thank you.
M19
owen b

Post by owen b »

brummie_rob wrote: They don't bother on the M6 J16-J19 even signing how long the roadworks are, presumably as they are so long in length.
I drove that stretch southbound yesterday and there was an electronic board somewhere near J19 stating 18.7 miles to the end of the roadworks.
Owen
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Really? All for a few minutes?
The problem is when all you are doing a really long journey, like 1000 miles door-to-door (which I do about 4 times a year), and then these "extra" five minutes really start to add up when they appear regularly.
Let it snow.
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Not forgetting the sheer number of breakdowns and accidents in these sections which cause chaos. On the face of it the travel time isn't much difference but the numptys make it terrible.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Alderpoint wrote:The problem is when all you are doing a really long journey, like 1000 miles door-to-door (which I do about 4 times a year), and then these "extra" five minutes really start to add up when they appear regularly.
But it's not lots of "extra five minutes", is it? It's a few, while we go through this massive programme of capacity improvement. And, the person I responded to was suggesting a route that would cost way more than that five minutes anyway. I don't get it.

Through that Cheshire section I just put the CC at 52mph indicated (basically 50 actual), and relaxed. I don't get why this vexes people so much.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The problem with the Cheshire section of the M6 is it was already tedious enough without the added tedium of roadworks related congestion.

A boring length of road, heavy traffic, and roadworks are why it's always stuffed on a daily basis.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck