M27 smartification

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: M27 smartification

Post by Johnathan404 »

An update from Highways England!

"Due to the recent decrease in traffic on the M27 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we'll be temporarily reducing the M27 to two lanes between junction 5 and 7 in each direction. This trial will enable us to overcome restrictions imposed by COVID-19 and allow us to continue working safely during the day and overnight when required. We apologise for the short notice when informing you of this activity, but we have had to move quickly to use this opportunity."

Fully support them taking advantage of the situation to make up for lost time. I'm a little concerned, given that the traffic levels dropped 5 weeks ago, that this is their definition of "we had to move quickly". (Yes I appreciate they had to put resources in place but the wording makes it sound like the lockdown was announced this morning.)

The decision to narrow the road between J5 and J7 perfectly matches with the section where virtually no visible progress has been made in the last 12 months. (Under normal conditions this would be the most congested section, so no this section was not selected for its traffic levels.)
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

Johnathan404 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 15:28 An update from Highways England!

"Due to the recent decrease in traffic on the M27 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we'll be temporarily reducing the M27 to two lanes between junction 5 and 7 in each direction. This trial will enable us to overcome restrictions imposed by COVID-19 and allow us to continue working safely during the day and overnight when required. We apologise for the short notice when informing you of this activity, but we have had to move quickly to use this opportunity."

Fully support them taking advantage of the situation to make up for lost time. I'm a little concerned, given that the traffic levels dropped 5 weeks ago, that this is their definition of "we had to move quickly". (Yes I appreciate they had to put resources in place but the wording makes it sound like the lockdown was announced this morning.)

The decision to narrow the road between J5 and J7 perfectly matches with the section where virtually no visible progress has been made in the last 12 months. (Under normal conditions this would be the most congested section, so no this section was not selected for its traffic levels.)
Same is being done on the M62 scheme but yes I can't help feel that actually this week we've seen traffic rise and supposedly lock-down will end next week, so they'll only get about a week of work done under reduced traffic.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

A statement published elsewhere by Highways England now claims that the revised traffic management is not about social distancing but "to bring forward future works".

I suppose strictly speaking everything is future work when you haven't done it yet.

Snarkiness aside, if they are able to use the current circumstances to finish on time then I will quietly and sincerely congratulate them.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 05:19
GeekyJames wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 22:51 I noticed driving towards junction 5 last week that new armco barriers were being installed in the central reservation, however I was under the impression only concrete barriers were being used now.
According to the drawings published by Highways England, 100 yards either side of the Itchen Mill Bridge will have deformable VRS ("Armco"). This is due to that crossing being two separate structures. Also 50 yards at each end will have new Armco as the new barrier ties in to the old.

Other than this the entire scheme is scheduled to use concrete RCB. Anything less than that would be a last-minute downgrade.

The double bend at the old Transit factory has more than enough space for decent forward visibility. It's going to look hideous with such a wide, solid, central reservation, no doubt covered in hatching, but that's another issue.
Driving between Junctions 5 and 7 yesterday I noted that "Armco" barriers have been installed along this whole stretch which surprises me. It reverts to concrete RCB after Junction 5.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

M27 has been closed all weekend between junctions 9 & 11 to install the replacement north Fareham footbridge. Work certainly seems to be progressing faster now.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/187013 ... installed/
BOH

Post by BOH »

GeekyJames wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 18:57
Johnathan404 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 05:19
GeekyJames wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 22:51 I noticed driving towards junction 5 last week that new armco barriers were being installed in the central reservation, however I was under the impression only concrete barriers were being used now.
According to the drawings published by Highways England, 100 yards either side of the Itchen Mill Bridge will have deformable VRS ("Armco"). This is due to that crossing being two separate structures. Also 50 yards at each end will have new Armco as the new barrier ties in to the old.

Other than this the entire scheme is scheduled to use concrete RCB. Anything less than that would be a last-minute downgrade.

The double bend at the old Transit factory has more than enough space for decent forward visibility. It's going to look hideous with such a wide, solid, central reservation, no doubt covered in hatching, but that's another issue.
Driving between Junctions 5 and 7 yesterday I noted that "Armco" barriers have been installed along this whole stretch which surprises me. It reverts to concrete RCB after Junction 5.
I found this surprising too, thought the conversion to Smart motorway used concrete barriers wherever possible.
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

That's the concrete section isn't it? Maybe they were loath to put a new barrier in when it's possible that section will be substantially reconstructed one day. Should really have been done as part of these works.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Does anyone know why such ugly metal soundproofing barriers are being installed along much of the smartified M27? In particular between junctions 9 & 11 where much of the route goes through open countryside?

Already the soundproofing barriers installed between junctions 5 & 7 have been covered in graffiti.

Could not a more sympathetically designed noise barrier be installed along with more trees?
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

GeekyJames wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 19:52 Does anyone know why such ugly metal soundproofing barriers are being installed along much of the smartified M27? In particular between junctions 9 & 11 where much of the route goes through open countryside?

Already the soundproofing barriers installed between junctions 5 & 7 have been covered in graffiti.

Could not a more sympathetically designed noise barrier be installed along with more trees?
J9 to j11 - isn't there a new town coming alongside that section of the M27?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Yes - Welborne Garden Village but I believe funding for the "improvements" to junction 10 have been delayed due to a funding gap.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

These are the soundproofing barriers in question - apparently Highways England didn't expect the contractors to use these? I've only seen wooden or plastic barriers used in the past.
FB_IMG_1615319018936.jpg
Last edited by GeekyJames on Wed Jul 21, 2021 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

"I believe steel would actually amplify the noise."

How would the physics of that work?
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

GeekyJames wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 19:26 Yes - Welborne Garden Village but I believe funding for the "improvements" to junction 10 have been delayed due to a funding gap.
Let me guess... they weren't including in the planning approval, and the developer is now saying "we're not paying for that" (cf M49 j1)
IAN

Post by IAN »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 22:44 "I believe steel would actually amplify the noise."

How would the physics of that work?
Sorry, incorrect link, correct link in post below.
Last edited by IAN on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
AKA M5 Driver
IAN

Post by IAN »

GeekyJames wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 22:27 These are the soundproofing barriers in question - apparently Highways England didn't expect the contractors to use these? I've only seen wooden or plastic barriers used in the past. I believe steel would actually amplify the noise.

FB_IMG_1615319018936.jpg
https://sciencing.com/materials-carry-s ... 42053.html
AKA M5 Driver
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

GeekyJames wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 19:52 Does anyone know why such ugly metal soundproofing barriers are being installed along much of the smartified M27? In particular between junctions 9 & 11 where much of the route goes through open countryside?

Looking around at modern Britain I've come to suspect that ugliness is actively encouraged, and the opposite hated with a passion.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Scheme completion delayed by another 8 months!

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/194567 ... ht-months/
brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob »

No surprise really, the DfT has asked them to add the radar and that required further digging and posts to be included. Sadly the M27 just fell into a trap of delay after delay and then the government stocktake on smart motorways means it cannot open.

However they should really up the speed limit to 60mph if it's just the new lane one closed as they've done on the M6.
jackal

Post by jackal »

It's weird that they stopped the smartification at J11. J11-12 is busier than the upgraded sections according to DfT data. I know it has some climbing lanes but that's not really the same thing, and the HS is continuous except where already bodged for climbing lanes.