Bournemouth & Poole road schemes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Peter350

Bournemouth & Poole road schemes

Post by Peter350 »

I know about the Poole Link Road, which was planned in the 80s, although I would be interested to know if any other road schemes were ever proposed in the East Dorset conurbation. Possible schemes that spring to mind are:

Bourne Valley relief road (Alderney roundabout - County Gates)
A338 - Christchurch (Purewell) link road
A338 - Bournemouth Airport link road
Ferndown & West Parley eastern bypass
Kinson bypass
Castle Lane bypass (Northbourne roundabout - A338 near Holdenhurst)
Merley - Broadstone (via old railway)
Broadstone Way - Upton heath interchange (via old railway)
A31 Ameysford roundabout - Verwood

Were any similar schemes ever proposed in the past?
alice

Re: Bournemouth & Poole road schemes

Post by alice »

A slight variation on the Bourne Valley Relief Road, the Wallisdown by-pass from Alderney up to Boundary roundabout and East Avenue.

Also I seem to vaguely remember something about a bridge from Sandbanks to Studland, that was never really anything more than a pipe dream - though that might have been a fantasy road suggestion from someone on here!
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

Dorset council own some of the freeholds on Princess Road in Poole. I was told this was for a potential Wessex Way extension but I haven't found any further information about it...
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

alice wrote:Also I seem to vaguely remember something about a bridge from Sandbanks to Studland, that was never really anything more than a pipe dream - though that might have been a fantasy road suggestion from someone on here!
According to CBRD, there was a proposal to build a bridge in the late 1920s, not long after the ferry started service.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/studland ... motor-road
BOH

Post by BOH »

I believe there were also plans for a road from the Dorset Way roundabout (the one where the road turns right at 90 degrees as you head from Poole towards Wallisdown) across the open heath to join up with the A31 at the Canford Bottom roundabout. The Canford Bottom roundabout would then be a GSJ and the remaining part of the Ferndown bypass fully dualled.

At a stroke this scheme would relieve so much of the congestion on Gravel Hill and also the Ringwood Road as it winds it's way up to the Wallisdown Roundabout, Bear Cross, the hopeless Longham Bridge and Ferndown Town Centre.

What happened to this scheme....the road length is about 5km across open countryside
BOH

Post by BOH »

alice wrote:A slight variation on the Bourne Valley Relief Road, the Wallisdown by-pass from Alderney up to Boundary roundabout and East Avenue.
If you look on Google Maps aerial view that whole line of route still seems to be there, protected from any building works so far. A perfect green area surrounded by other building works as if just waiting for construction to start any day..
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

BOH wrote:
alice wrote:A slight variation on the Bourne Valley Relief Road, the Wallisdown by-pass from Alderney up to Boundary roundabout and East Avenue.
If you look on Google Maps aerial view that whole line of route still seems to be there, protected from any building works so far. A perfect green area surrounded by other building works as if just waiting for construction to start any day..
That is true, although it appears that the Boundary roundabout end has now been taken up by a new access road to Bournemouth University and Talbot Village.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Found this in a document from 2007 scoping the A31 to Poole Link
poole.jpg
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Peter350 wrote:
BOH wrote:
That is true, although it appears that the Boundary roundabout end has now been taken up by a new access road to Bournemouth University and Talbot Village.
Yes and no. South of the Fern Barrow estate (Talbot Village is in the woods to the north of Wallisdown Road) is a small area where some cul-de-sacs have been built ready for residential development. So any road through the Bourne Valley would need to take a sharp deviation around that and the housing that is already there.

Further west is the Bourne Valley itself, and the reason why the Relief Road was never built. It is a nature reserve, and an SSSI.

As for Gillett Road, there is nothing stopping a new road from bolting into it.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I'd always thought the green route was the option but, apparently it was the red route. Not much chance of a GSJ at the right angled turn at Canford Bottom. I guess heathland protection has increased since then so, no new road anywhere. Port of Poole should make more fuss re, connectivity etc.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Found this. Not sure how much of it is serious or just wish full thinking, but some of it fits with the routes in the original post.

https://dorsetroads.files.wordpress.com ... c_6144.jpg

Comes from this interesting site on Dorset roads

https://dorsetroads.wordpress.com
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Nicholas wrote:
Peter350 wrote:
BOH wrote:
Yes and no. South of the Fern Barrow estate (Talbot Village is in the woods to the north of Wallisdown Road) is a small area where some cul-de-sacs have been built ready for residential development. So any road through the Bourne Valley would need to take a sharp deviation around that and the housing that is already there.

Further west is the Bourne Valley itself, and the reason why the Relief Road was never built. It is a nature reserve, and an SSSI.

As for Gillett Road, there is nothing stopping a new road from bolting into it.
Sorry, I thought the Fern Barrow estate was part of Talbot Village for some reason.
If the road did ever get built, it would make more sense to have the mainline head south from Alder Hills towards County Gates gyratory, via the railway viaduct above Surrey Road. That way, it would avoid the sharp deviation and provide a faster route between Poole and Bournemouth, since the Boundary roundabout route (which I think should be built as a spur for local traffic) does not allow traffic to bypass Winton and Cemetery Junction.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

I have thought for a long time any Poole link road should run further west than was originaly planned. Either following the A349 or A350 corridors connecting the A35 and A31 directly. Both would be quite short roads depending on chosen route.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
jackal

Post by jackal »

I've always thought the A35-A3049 roundabout should be GSJed. It's the main entrance to Poole and a key junction for the conurbation of nearly half a million people, but it's total crap.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jackal wrote:I've always thought the A35-A3049 roundabout should be GSJed. It's the main entrance to Poole and a key junction for the conurbation of nearly half a million people, but it's total crap.
I assume you mean the Holes Bay North Roundabout (A350/A3049)? The problem there is going to be the surrounding terrain, soft ground and the junction being almost in the bay.

If you meant Fleetsbridge, that is limited-access with east-facing slips. The proximity to the A350 and the link via the A35 mean west-facing slips are not necessary.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

jackal wrote:I've always thought the A35-A3049 roundabout should be GSJed. It's the main entrance to Poole and a key junction for the conurbation of nearly half a million people, but it's total crap.
Yes but the government of the day binned the link road and the possibility of trunking a strategic route to a port. So when the new bridge was proposed it wasn't primarily to do with transport but also to open up the development potential of a derelict site.
Until someone decides Poole is important enough for a trunk road, we will have to manage with what we have got.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Nicholas wrote:
I assume you mean the Holes Bay North Roundabout (A350/A3049)? The problem there is going to be the surrounding terrain, soft ground and the junction being almost in the bay.
Yes I did - thanks.

I note that there are bridges over watercourses in both directions on the A350 that haven't sunk, and which are closer to the bay than any GSJ would have to be. These sorts of problems/excuses have a tendency of going away when someone actually wants to build the improvement and finds a pot of money :)
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm resurrecting this thread as I've found some amazing plans from the early 70's. The A3049 was to be GSJ'd throughout and the junction where it turns 90 degrees was to be a three level GSJ, see here https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... Roundabout

Alderney Roundabout was to be a GSJ too with an expressway heading SE towards County Gates.

I've only just uncovered this stuff which is still patchy at the moment. I hope to find some more later on. What is clear is that Bournemouth/Poole had some seriously grand proposals back in the day.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.

From the SABRE Wiki: Mannings Heath Roundabout :

Mannings Heath Roundabout is a junction on the northern edge of Poole. It was originally planned as a roundabout interchange in the early 1970s complete with freeflowing links between south and east. The route to the north would have headed towards the A338 near Bournemouth Airport. By the time the A3049 Dorset Way was extended northwards in the 1980s the proposals were

... Read More