N.Ire: major road projects - what's next?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nirs

Re: N.Ire: major road projects - what's next?

Post by nirs »

Frostyj wrote:It’d be great if the remaining 13 miles of the A26 to Coleraine could be completed. Not sure why they have stopped it at a random point in the countryside.
I wouldn't call it a random point. Budgets for roads like this (i.e., one which doesn't have massive backing from another state!) are not huge, so upgrading the remainder of the A26 wasn't an option. So it has to stop part way. An upgrade needs to stop at a location where the reduction back to 1 lane won't cause big tailbacks. The best place is a natural divergence point where traffic is splitting anyway. So this upgrade stops at the A44 fork which is the last primary road that the A26 meets before Coleraine, so it's a good spot to terminate the upgrade.
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
bothar

Post by bothar »

nirs wrote:
Owain wrote:The A5 is absolutely dire - a candidate for the UK's worst primary route - and it is that road that has to be the absolute priority (away from Belfast).
I grew up in Omagh and as a child (1980s) I remember the A5 as fairly quiet. Coming back from Belfast in the dark my dad would have main beam on most of the time, dipping his headlights only when someone came the other way. We moved away from Omagh in the late 1990s. Last year I had reason to go to Omagh and drove the A5 in early evening. What a transformation - absolutely packed with vehicles in long convoys, dark and twisty, not pleasant at all. I was shocked at how much had changed in 20 years. Until ten years ago there was no plan whatsoever to dual the A5 - there was a plan to extend the northern end of the Strabane Bypass and carry out a 2+1 upgrade of the bit north of the town, but that was it. It wasn't even being discussed as a possibility. It only came into the agenda because Dublin made their upgrade offer and since then it's climbed right to the top of the queue. From a "history of planning" perspective it's a fascinating case.
Apart from general growth I think the busier A5 reflects two factors. The improved A4 increases the commuting range and puts more traffic on Ballygawley - Omagh. I also think that in the 1980s a lot of Donegal traffic did not use this route, the Aughnacloy checkpoint was not a pleasant interlude on your route even if the alternative was longer.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Having driven the A26 north of Antrim from roughly 8am-9am the other morning, I may now move it up the list somewhat! Was considerably busier than I'd reckoned and I actually came to a complete stop twice thanks to a tractor. The single carriageway sections are notably poorer than on many other upgrade candidates (hence a tractor making such a difference).
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

IJP1 wrote:Having driven the A26 north of Antrim from roughly 8am-9am the other morning, I may now move it up the list somewhat! Was considerably busier than I'd reckoned and I actually came to a complete stop twice thanks to a tractor. The single carriageway sections are notably poorer than on many other upgrade candidates (hence a tractor making such a difference).
The worst thing on there is the frequency of turning gaps. When I first drove it in 2013 I felt like I'd driven through a time warp into the 1960s!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Frostyj

Post by Frostyj »

Owain wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 18:44
explo wrote:At some point A6 Glenshane is going to have to be tackled and once the A5 is done and dusted (whenever that turns out to be) then this should be the next major undertaking.
AndyB wrote:I can help on that...

A6 Castledawson-Glenshane has so much less traffic than any other part of the road that it's not worth it.
Agreed - if the A6 were dualled either side of the Glenshane (and Dungiven bypassed), there would not be much need to dual the bit over the Glenshane itself; most of it has overtaking lanes, and I never had any problem 'making progress' on that section.

The A5 is absolutely dire - a candidate for the UK's worst primary route - and it is that road that has to be the absolute priority (away from Belfast).
Frostyj wrote:It’d be great if the remaining 13 miles of the A26 to Coleraine could be completed. Not sure why they have stopped it at a random point in the countryside.

Possibly the road from L’derry to Coleraine also.
The A37-A2 is a far more serious problem than the last bit of A26 to Coleraine. The A37 part over the Coleraine mountain is okay, but the A2 is extremely tedious from Limavady to Derry City Airport. Greysteel and Ballykelly both need bypassing.

[I'm suddenly feeling all nostalgic!]
Oh yes, I agree. Though that won’t happen for quite some time if ever.
odlum

Post by odlum »

When is the York Street scheme starting? Anyone got news on that?
nirs

Post by nirs »

odlum wrote:When is the York Street scheme starting? Anyone got news on that?
There’s a court case with a ruling still to come which is holding up procurement. But as well as that it has no funding. The promised DUP-Tory cash for York St is a no-show so far. My gut is telling me that the pact will be over before it comes...
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

How many more accidents will occur before it is ever built

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 34177.html
nirs

Post by nirs »

wallmeerkat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 09:38 How many more accidents will occur before it is ever built

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 34177.html
Funny enough, one of the criticisms that came out at the Inquiry is that the Environmental Statement indicates that the number of accidents will not be reduced by the new junction, mostly due to the number of new merges and tight corners being introduced. What it will do is greatly increase the capacity of the junction. It will not prevent it becoming congested at peak times, but even then it will be facilitating a lot more journeys than it is now, so quite justified.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

I was thinking that the other day, that the Westlink used to be congested because of the Grosvenor / Broadway roundabout stops, but now even with underpasses the road is still congested. Free flow at York Street will still have congestion.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

To try to pick up some of those...

General: there is a significant problem around Greater Belfast with the mismanagement of divergent and convergent traffic flows. What you really need are freeflow junctions until such a stage as daily traffic count has considerably reduced (or at least until almost exactly half the traffic is leaving at a certain point). For this reason, freeflowing Sandyknowes (which requires a further junction at Ballycraigy), freeflowing Sprucefield and clearing the right turns at Dee Street and City Airport are essential - doing so wouldn't make the map look much different but it would considerably improve traffic flow (and the associated stress, danger, lost time, etc.)

A12 Yorkgate: @nirs is absolutely right that the C&S agreement will be over before a penny reaches this project, not least as the deal is only for two years anyway. It was a bad political error to specify which project this was for - doing so ran contrary to devolution and meant it became trapped once the legal challenge went in. I personally am in favour of prioritising this project only if it is done at the same time as the Sydenham Bypass including an arrangement for traffic entering the City Airport from Bangor direction to do so via the Holywood Exchange GSJ (the current plan does not include this, but it must; otherwise you will still have a backlog of traffic eastbound with knock-on effects for everyone in rush hour).

A2 Limavady-Derry: I'm not quite as gloomy that this will never happen, but I agree it is a significant issue. What is required basically is an expressway from the airport to the Limavady Bypass. This would be controversial given the presence of Ballykelly Forest, but I would certainly prioritise route planning for this one.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
odlum

Post by odlum »

nirs wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 07:30
There’s a court case with a ruling still to come which is holding up procurement. But as well as that it has no funding. The promised DUP-Tory cash for York St is a no-show so far. My gut is telling me that the pact will be over before it comes...
:cry: When it comes to Northern Ireland, ambition is fab, but (and this is not meant as offense) it always seems like you are waiting for the crumbs from the table. In my opinion it's time for liberal unionists to wake up and think of another way (because they have the numbers) or just be the afterthought all the time.

If we all found a way to work together imagine what would be possible. I don't mean a UI just some other way. We could build one of the best road networks in Europe on this entire island. Working with us through the EU would represent huge opportunities and that does not have to threaten the union.

I doubt the DUP get it. But like you say the crunch is coming and they won't be supporting the government much longer when reality dawns, as Varadkar says, there will be no physical border on this island.
jackal

Post by jackal »

odlum wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 08:19
nirs wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 07:30
:cry: When it comes to Northern Ireland, ambition is fab, but (and this is not meant as offense) it always seems like you are waiting for the crumbs from the table. In my opinion it's time for liberal unionists to wake up and think of another way (because they have the numbers) or just be the afterthought all the time.

If we all found a way to work together imagine what would be possible. I don't mean a UI just some other way. We could build one of the best road networks in Europe on this entire island. Working with us through the EU would represent huge opportunities and that does not have to threaten the union.
This is all very pie in the sky. Would the Republic be willing to pay for NI's roads, when it has a backlog of its own schemes that got nixed during the financial crisis? Except perhaps for the very occasional cross-border scheme that is considered of sufficient direct interest to the Republic, no - and certainly not anything in Greater Belfast. Is the EU looking to spend money over-and-above the established structural/cohesion funding regime? No, not even in its own member states - and certainly not in a country that will have left the EU!

'Crumbs from the table' is rather patronising, and shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how devolution works in the UK. England, Scotland and Wales each have substantial roadbuilding programmes despite having lower per capita public spending than NI. If NI wants to improve its roads, it has the powers and the money to do that. If it doesn't do that it's because its politicians have other priorities.
odlum

Post by odlum »

I think NI will not leave the EU in the same way as Britain. To solve border issue some sort of special status seems likely.

People in NI are entitled to Irish and thus EU passports which in a far different situation to Britain.

So, yes, I do think something positive could happen in relation to infrastructure and the EU would contribute.

Also ROI has already provided funding and allocated more funding to road schemes like the A5.

Special status could have NI in best of both situation.
bothar

Post by bothar »

There might have been a case for the A5 or Fermanagh routes getting something owing to Brexit. But the EU and UK have agreed that NI cross border trade will not be disrupted and Donegal will not be cut off, although London have been trying to avoid admitting they actually made an agreement. The economic damage of Brexit reduces funds for everyone.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

IJP1 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 14:07 I personally am in favour of prioritising this project only if it is done at the same time as the Sydenham Bypass including an arrangement for traffic entering the City Airport from Bangor direction to do so via the Holywood Exchange GSJ (the current plan does not include this, but it must; otherwise you will still have a backlog of traffic eastbound with knock-on effects for everyone in rush hour).
There was a plan at some point for a GSJ at Victoria Park, which would've removed the Dee Street junction, would've allowed GSJ access to Titanic Quarter and East Belfast, and potentially to the airport.

From NIRS excellent site
http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a2g ... water.html
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

It's not a major road project, so apologies, but it has a page on @nirs site....

The Moneyreagh junction at Ewarts has been completed! Last time I drove it a week ago it looked like the base tarmac had been laid, then yesterday and today drove by and the junction is open and the "old" road is coned off.

I'm not sure if this was unexpectedly ahead of schedule, as the old crossroads road signs are still in place.

This morning rush hour it did look like traffic on the mainline was flowing a bit better.

Though as nirs says on his site, it is a strange stagger right - right, reminds me of the old Doagh Road / A8 junction, which itself was later replaced with a roundabout (as this will no doubt be)
Frostyj

Post by Frostyj »

The A2 Limavady to Eglinton needs done but can’t see this being done for quite some time.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Newsletter opinion piece.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

Agree about tolling as a way to kick start other big projects quickly.

We all hate tolls but if the end result is good roads and quick delivery I can't see many complaints.