Ilminster Bypass Construction Photos (1980's)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

D.J

Ilminster Bypass Construction Photos (1980's)

Post by D.J »

http://www.seavingtonwebmuseum.org.uk/g ... ictures/59

Thought you folks might find this interesting.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Ilminster Bypass Construction Photos (1980's)

Post by RichardA35 »

D.J wrote:http://www.seavingtonwebmuseum.org.uk/g ... ictures/59

Plenty of people who worked on that scheme still working today. I was talking to one of them yesterday.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Interesting photos. Thanks for finding them.
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

RichardA35 wrote:

Plenty of people who worked on that scheme still working today. I was talking to one of them yesterday.
Can you please give them a kick in the nads for designing it as S2+1 please?
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

A320Driver wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:

It was designed and built as WS2......
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Don't blame the builders, or even maybe the designers. Its the coin counters and beaurocrats that insisted on the road being WS2 not D2 that are to blame. Compounded by the fact no attempt to dual it has been made since.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

RichardA35 wrote:
A320Driver wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:Plenty of people who worked on that scheme still working today. I was talking to one of them yesterday.
And that makes it better? Fair point, yes it was WS2 and yes my post was TIC, but the fact remains that it was an extremely poor decision to not even future-proof for D2.

I believe that the SW MMS recommended the dualling of the A303 SC sections between Amesbury and Honiton in the early/mid 2000s before the whole lot got canned in 2007/8.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

A320Driver wrote:
RichardA35 wrote:
A320Driver wrote:
And that makes it better? Fair point, yes it was WS2 and yes my post was TIC, but the fact remains that it was an extremely poor decision to not even future-proof for D2.

I believe that the SW MMS recommended the dualling of the A303 SC sections between Amesbury and Honiton in the early/mid 2000s before the whole lot got canned in 2007/8.
The even earlier South Wessex DBFO announced in1996 included A303 Ilminster Bypass Improvements as a scheme but fell when Salisbury Bypass was canned....
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Can anyone remind us why it was built this way? Was it just cost? Were there any plans for a D2 instead abd how close dI'd any of them get to being built? Was the current route the only one considered?
Herned

Post by Herned »

I can remember someone on local TV news, presumably a junior minister or even the transport minister, explaining that ALL new rural roads and bypasses would be built as WS2. This may have been after the first fatal accident or something. Not sure whether that was totally true at the time, but wasn't most WS2 built mid-80s-early 90s?
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Herned wrote:I can remember someone on local TV news, presumably a junior minister or even the transport minister, explaining that ALL new rural roads and bypasses would be built as WS2. This may have been after the first fatal accident or something. Not sure whether that was totally true at the time, but wasn't most WS2 built mid-80s-early 90s?
The Dorchester bypass in Dorset was built around the same time as Ilminster but was plain S2. Wish it had been WS2 (if it couldn't be D2) then at least it could have become S2+1 later which I am sure would help at busy times (which is most of the time these days .

Yes we did go through a phase where new bypasses, that might have been D2 at another time, were built as S2 or WS2. Whether this was political, financial or just an easy way to keep people who wanted a bypass happy without the cost of a D2
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

WS2 is designed to allow opportunistic overtaking which it does well when there's moderate traffic levels. A5 Oswestry, A46 Alcester and A507 work well which would otherwise be long processions of slow traffic if they were normal S2. The problem starts when the traffic levels overwhelm the overtaking potential. Having multiple vehicles in both directions at the same time using the centre for overtaking doesn't work. When Ilminster was restriped as S2+1 it was a mixed blessing. While it reduces the likelyhood of head-ons it also means everyone apart from the lead vehicle moves into lane 2 at the start of the overtaking sections and depending on the length of the convoy those at the back won't make it past in time before the crawler lane ends.
Last edited by Truvelo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

Richardf wrote:Can anyone remind us why it was built this way? Was it just cost? Were there any plans for a D2 instead abd how close dI'd any of them get to being built? Was the current route the only one considered?
The story I heard from someone who had worked for the consultant (MRM Partnership), was that it had been envisaged as a dual carriageway but there was local opposition, a "Campaign for a smaller bypass" or something, so they went back and looked at it and came up with WS2 - which based on the design traffic volumes at the time, no doubt worked and saved a few bob (though not as much as you might think, I expect). The horizontal alignment of much of the route, some of the large radius sweeping bends, rather suggest to me an alignment for a dual carriageway. If you were designing for a single carriageway the recommended practise in TD9 is straights interspersed with relatively tight bends to give clear overtaking and non-overtaking section - look at the A358 Ashill bypass for a better expample of single carriageway horizontal alignment design. (Pity it's too busy to allow any overtaking!)
JonB2028

Post by JonB2028 »

The other thing is that, were it ever to be widened I suspect the overbridges are post-tensioned with grouted tendons, that was the fashion at the time. (Well the one we had on Sparkford a year or two later was). An absolute pig to demolish I'd hazard, with all that energy in the tendons I'd guess?
Herned

Post by Herned »

Truvelo wrote:Having multiple vehicles in both directions at the same time using the centre for overtaking doesn't work...
I'm not sure about elsewhere but Ilminster was the WS2 I was most familiar with... it was pretty standard for it to be treated as an S4 which could be a little hairy at times and best not have both directions overtaking HGVs at the same point. Unfortunately the reliance on people paying attention and knowing what others might do didn't work out, tragically a number of times and it was repainted to 2+1. Now the problem as stated by Truvelo is convoys in the 1 side followed by crazy overtaking when the two lanes start back
D.J

Post by D.J »

I remember the WS2 layout of this route well, but i can't seem to find any pics of it in that state, if anyone knows of any then it would be neat to see some.
Berk

Post by Berk »

How difficult would it be to adapt the bridges to permit D2 widening?? Would narrow lanes across the bridges work??

Or is that seen as unacceptable these days (cf A74)??

This being said, when the A358 contract progresses to construction, wouldn’t it be feasible to expand that to allow for widening the Ilminster section??
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

D.J wrote:I remember the WS2 layout of this route well, but i can't seem to find any pics of it in that state, if anyone knows of any then it would be neat to see some.
I took a bunch of photos in 2002. I took some further photos in 2004 by which time it had changed to S2+1. I didn't realise it was so long ago now.

Anyway, here's a couple showing some overtaking.
Attachments
ilmins1.jpg
ilmins2.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Illustrates perfectly why there were so many head-on collisions. There still are but less often since the S2/1. Evesham and Oswestry must be much the same still.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

The Horton and Broadway section of the Ilminster bypass is still in its original configuration.

West of the A358.

Says it all really.