You know you're a road geek when...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: You know you're a road geek when...

Post by KeithW »

jonnyf90 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 17:19 Unless you’re driving more miles than your tank’s capacity surely you’d’ve prepped beforehand?
Christmas doesn’t just appear and cause surprise...
Most supermarket filling stations have 24H pay-at-pump even if the shop is closed.
The route from Dungeness in Kent to My house was 340 miles. I was driving a car with a 10 gallon tank that did 25 miles per gallon - as the Americans say 'do the maths'. By the time I got to Leicester Forest East I was looking for a fill up and I can assure you that in 1985 there was no such thing as Pay at the Pump.

As a Yorkshireman born and bred I hate paying too much for anything but risking running out of fuel on the M1 is not a chance I will take.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Each person weighs their time and money differently.

In some situations, MSA fuel is a bargain in time saving, others, not.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I have a company fuel card for 15 years, so it matters not where I buy fuel.

I have bought fuel at an MSA once in 15 years, because I was behind schedule and wouldn't have made it on time. I put about a tenner in.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 21:06
jonnyf90 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 17:19 Unless you’re driving more miles than your tank’s capacity surely you’d’ve prepped beforehand?
Christmas doesn’t just appear and cause surprise...
Most supermarket filling stations have 24H pay-at-pump even if the shop is closed.
The route from Dungeness in Kent to My house was 340 miles. I was driving a car with a 10 gallon tank that did 25 miles per gallon - as the Americans say 'do the maths'. By the time I got to Leicester Forest East I was looking for a fill up and I can assure you that in 1985 there was no such thing as Pay at the Pump.

As a Yorkshireman born and bred I hate paying too much for anything but risking running out of fuel on the M1 is not a chance I will take.
1985?! 20p a litre for 4 star then 😆
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 21:06.... in 1985 there was no such thing as Pay at the Pump.
Not necessarily entirely true. Pay at the Pump goes back further than you might think, albeit in a rather primitive form. In the early 1970's I remember a local garage having a special "after hours" pump for 4-star. Put a fifty pence piece in and you got 50p's worth of petrol, then about a gallon. I don't know how long it lasted but I'm pretty sure it had gone well before 1985.

Were these pumps widespread? Does anybody else remember one like this? Some of them might have survived till the 1980's.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

I remember the Shell garage at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Rochdale Road in Higher Blackley (flattened by M60 J20) used to have 50p out-of-hours pumps for a while in the early 1980s.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

nowster wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 23:16 I remember the Shell garage at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Rochdale Road in Higher Blackley (flattened by M60 J20) used to have 50p out-of-hours pumps for a while in the early 1980s.
All I can say is I never saw one so they were hardly common enough to be an alternative to buying fuel at an MSA. Even had I come across one given the reliability of vending machines then I think it highly unlikely I would have trusted it.

By the early 1980's Petrol was about £1.60 per gallon so you have needed a lot of coins to fill up which is probably why they never caught on.
MayzieY

Post by MayzieY »

When you’re attracted to a Guardian photo feature because one has road signs - but maybe aren’t quite such a geek when it takes you several images to realise what’s missing ...
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gall ... n-pictures
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

You know you're a road geek when...

You own street atlases which cover parts of the country you've never actually visited.

You know the exact routes followed by F99 A roads in city centres where there's little signage and almost no one actually uses the numbers to navigate.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Simon_GNR wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 21:13
KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 21:06.... in 1985 there was no such thing as Pay at the Pump.
Not necessarily entirely true. Pay at the Pump goes back further than you might think, albeit in a rather primitive form. In the early 1970's I remember a local garage having a special "after hours" pump for 4-star. Put a fifty pence piece in and you got 50p's worth of petrol, then about a gallon. I don't know how long it lasted but I'm pretty sure it had gone well before 1985.

Were these pumps widespread? Does anybody else remember one like this? Some of them might have survived till the 1980's.
I remember petrol stations (in my case, in rural north Essex) in the 1970s where you could buy 4-star "out of hours" by feeding a machine with £1 notes. They were a god-send when, having driven further than intended, you found yourself in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday -- though also a source of anxiety in case the machine refused your one, rather crumpled, banknote, or (even worse!) "ate" it without giving you any petrol...
baroudeur

Post by baroudeur »

Viator wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52
I remember petrol stations (in my case, in rural north Essex) in the 1970s where you could buy 4-star "out of hours" by feeding a machine with £1 notes. They were a god-send when, having driven further than intended, you found yourself in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday -
There was a similar one on the A5 between Telford and Capel Curig ( or Oswestry?) and I remember one in France many years ago.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

You're on holiday in Jersey and can't decide whether this sign To the bathing pool is pre-worboys, rare, local or just interesting . .
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

baroudeur wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 16:53
Viator wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52
I remember petrol stations (in my case, in rural north Essex) in the 1970s where you could buy 4-star "out of hours" by feeding a machine with £1 notes. They were a god-send when, having driven further than intended, you found yourself in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday -
There was a similar one on the A5 between Telford and Capel Curig ( or Oswestry?) and I remember one in France many years ago.
I remember one of these, in Ropley in Hampshire, around the mid-80s. I think the idea was "sunk" by the Citizen-Band nutters, who discovered that their transmitters could disrupt the measuring signal within the pump, enabling free fuel to be stolen. Not surprisingly, the fuel companies protected themselves by discontinuing the experiment.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

You laugh at this sign For people who have had too much to drink?
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Simon_GNR wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 21:13

If memory serves, this garage in Port William, on the Machars peninsula in Galloway has an out-of-hours pump which works the same way.
It must a godsend if you're running low on petrol round there, as it's the only place you can buy petrol for miles and miles.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

B4444 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 14:25 You laugh at this sign For people who have had too much to drink?
and for scores of return leg football matches
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Simon_GNR wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 20:26 Me too! Today I went to Liverpool for the day and between Manchester and Liverpool took the A580 East Lancs Road - just to see what it is like. For many years I've seen this long, straight dual carriageway on the map and wondered what it was like to drive. Pretty much as expected - nice straight dual carriageway, but no NSL at any point in nearly 30 miles.
It used to be, about 20 miles worth from Astley to the M57. I remember having driving lessons on the A580, as it was the closest thing to motorway driving I could do, thanks to the NSL.
jonnyf90 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 17:00 Anyone who chooses to fill up at an MSA is a complete moron :D 149.9 for Unleaded at Toddington last week.
That is a rather insulting remark. What if someone was making an emergency journey, and it was the first place to fuel up en route? I've had to do it, although that was in the days before satnavs and smartphones. But I only put in enough to get to where I needed to go and fuelled up again after.

Or what if it was a tourist? Or just someone who isn't familiar with the area? I've had to do it in France, and certainly because I wasn't prepared to pay twice for a toll when I didn't know where any off-motorway services were! Sometimes, you just need to take that hit, and for a smaller fuel-up, the difference wouldn't be that much overall. Only like comparing Aldi with the local corner shop.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jonnyf90 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 22:38
KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 21:06

1985?! 20p a litre for 4 star then 😆
Which seemed like a lot of money as in 1973 I had been paying less than 10p per litre (40 p per gallon).
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

You watch the film Atomic Blonde and notice the pedestrian crossings in "East Berlin just before the fall of the wall" have the wrong red man symbol.
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

When you cross the Scotland-England Border and the “A74(M)” sign is more exciting than the actual “Welcome to Scotland” sign .