M90 or A90 confusion

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: M90 or A90 confusion

Post by Bryn666 »

I did mean Barton sorry. But yes if you look at the marker posts and DLS they are not the same as everywhere else so they'd all need converting to the standard format rather than the fractions that are presently in situ.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Bryn666 wrote:I did mean Barton sorry. But yes if you look at the marker posts and DLS they are not the same as everywhere else so they'd all need converting to the standard format rather than the fractions that are presently in situ.
The "fractions" are actually kilometres and tenths from Barton, e.g. 3/4 means 3.4 km, and the D possibly means County Durham. But the numbering system used between Blyth and Barton is already different from the one used in the south.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

On a tangent, what's the arrangement on the A30 in Devon/Cornwall?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

nowster wrote:On a tangent, what's the arrangement on the A30 in Devon/Cornwall?
Off the top of my head I believe the zero point for the A30 expressway sections is Land’s End.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Of course you do know this section has been numbered the M90(A) as its a motorway with A road characteristics.......

There is talk of possibly making it M90 the whole way, but that is still in discussion. Issue is with the A90 coming out of edinburgh
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Why didn't they just put C&D roads on that section? Problem solved
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Burns

Post by Burns »

ScottB5411 wrote:Why didn't they just put C&D roads on that section? Problem solved
Or open the bus only slips to regular traffic? Or send non motorway traffic off at the B924? Either option provides a more cost effective solution.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Burns wrote:
ScottB5411 wrote:Why didn't they just put C&D roads on that section? Problem solved
Or open the bus only slips to regular traffic? Or send non motorway traffic off at the B924? Either option provides a more cost effective solution.
I would open the bus only slips to regular traffic. The B924 is very narrow in the centre of South Queensferry, and it includes a cobbled section west of the Forth Rail Bridge.
richard-g

Post by richard-g »

nowster wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 23:44 On a tangent, what's the arrangement on the A30 in Devon/Cornwall?
A similar question to my A30 marker post post. See my post. The spacing of the markers is not gospel it seems, and if errors are found they just leave it as it is. Perhaps the old 1/16th of a mile posts were just re-labelled and left on their old positions
paully

Post by paully »

Alderpoint wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 21:56 Should just renumber all junctions based on the kilometerage from the start* of the road - it's a big job but would only be required once. When new junctions are then added, then just us an interim distance, using decimals if really necessary.
That wouldn't have worked here either - because the road was extended at the Southern end, so the zero point would have been at the old junction 1, and the road now extends several miles beyond that point.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

At last we have an atlas that shows the section of A90 between 2 sections of M90 correctly. All of the 2018 road atlases showed this 2 mile section of road incorrectly as the M90. The 2019 Collins road atlas of Great Britain correctly shows the section between junctions 1 and 1a as the A90. Unfortunately it also shows the A9000 over the old Forth Road Bridge as a Primary Route (coloured green) which I believe to be incorrect. Does anyone know whether the A9000 is Primary or not.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The A9000 is not a primary route, all the direction signs to it are white, it is though still a trunk road.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

This all sounds a right bodge to me. I dont know the area at all but was looking at it on Goggle Earth th other day and it struck me what an odd set up it was, all (to my eyes) for the lack of a sliproad or C/D road linking the WB A90 with the old A90 towards the old bridge. if this existed non motorway traffic would have an escape route onto the old A90 and the new road could be motorway. Same in reverse if that sliproad were open to all non motorway traffic not just buses.

But is suppose this is all too logical for TPTB!

While we are on the subject of odities in this area, is there any reason, other than historic that the M8 and M9 should still meet on the A8, leaving the M8 with a spur, instead of the M9 starting on the mainline M8 further south, thus eliminating the spur?
My latest Road Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHsktQHcMB
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

Used the FRB on my way home from Arran last Monday
If I'd known the East walkway was shut in advance I'd have gone down the ramp from Echline as you can get onto the walkway from the road approach there but didn't find out until I was at the underpass...

The problem of being on the wrong side for my destination has been "nicely" fixed by a pedestrian crossing over the roadway to the Inverkeithng side once you make landfall!

A couple of on topic photos

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhrYaF3Z1a61hSFRBEA

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhrYWXckNU8MmLIyQfw
James

Post by James »

Never got why they just didn't build the M90 around the West side of Dundas Castle. Would have saved the massive corner, made the route slightly shorter and solved a stupid problem like this.

Quick look on Google maps shows reasonably flat open fields, so there's no obvious reason why the road didn't go that way
Euan

Post by Euan »

James wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 Never got why they just didn't build the M90 around the West side of Dundas Castle. Would have saved the massive corner, made the route slightly shorter and solved a stupid problem like this.

Quick look on Google maps shows reasonably flat open fields, so there's no obvious reason why the road didn't go that way
The A90 coming out of Edinburgh would not have been very well connected to the M90 had that been the case. Traffic from the north western side of Edinburgh would have ended up using a short stretch of the A904 to access the new crossing. Going back to the days of the A8000, there was already a partially complete motorway link to Queensferry in the form of the M9 spur - so it would have been pointless to build a completely new motorway rather than just extending the existing one.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
AtoB

Post by AtoB »

Going North up the M90, after passing Kirkliston, does anyone know why a right-turn isnt provided onto the A90 towards Edinburgh? Providing such would seem to be a good idea, as some traffic appraoching Edinburgh from the West could avoid the possible congestion at the Gogar and the one to the south (Gogarbank?) interchanges?
GrahameCase

Post by GrahameCase »

AtoB wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:30 Going North up the M90, after passing Kirkliston, does anyone know why a right-turn isnt provided onto the A90 towards Edinburgh? Providing such would seem to be a good idea, as some traffic appraoching Edinburgh from the West could avoid the possible congestion at the Gogar and the one to the south (Gogarbank?) interchanges?

I’d imagine cost and the fact that there didn’t used to be access from M9 southbound at j1a of the M9 - that’s relatively recent. - in the meantime those of us who commute in from west lothian tend to cut through kirkliston and use the Burnshot road, or up through winchburgh on backroads to Newton and join the M90 there depending on what waze says is the quickest way
——
Roads Geek primarily focused on Scotland
/ owner of a 7 year old laptop that doubles as a top spec gaming pc
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The new 2020 A-Z road atlas shows this small section of the A90 correctly. The last 3 editions (2017, 2018 and 2019 all showed it incorrectly as the M90
Euan

Post by Euan »

roadphotos wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 22:38 The new 2020 A-Z road atlas shows this small section of the A90 correctly. The last 3 editions (2017, 2018 and 2019 all showed it incorrectly as the M90
I usually buy the AA road atlases every year and as of the 2019 edition the section of the '90 between J1 and J1A is still shown incorrectly as the M90, so hopefully a positive sign that this will be rectified in the 2020 AA edition as well!
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths