Roads that don't look like roads

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

darkcape

Re: Roads that don't look like roads

Post by darkcape »

multiraider2 wrote: Snowdonia was mentioned and this minor road from Llanrug to Llanberis was always a favourite during a week's stay near there.
This road was interesting whilst camping in Snowdonia - one of those that makes you go 'not sure if I'm going the right way but I'm too scared to turn back now!' and there wasn't much room to turn if we tried! The climb uphill was worth it for the views, but got steadily worse as we headed towards the Roman Steps.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

chriscumbria wrote:There's this infamous section of the A595 that goes through the middle of Dove Hall Farm near Grizebeck:
Not as busy as the A595 - however this roadpasses through someone's house!!
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
vlad

Post by vlad »

Bfivethousand wrote:Not as busy as the A595 - however this roadpasses through someone's house!!
So does the Worthy Toll Road.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
yen_powell

Post by yen_powell »

The Broomway off Foulness Island is the most unroadlike road I have seen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broomway
Reading

Post by Reading »

How do you check whether a road is a road ? I know of several around where i grew up that were marked on old maps as roads and when cycling along them there were still patches of tarmac but were blocked by gates etc now
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Reading wrote:How do you check whether a road is a road ? I know of several around where i grew up that were marked on old maps as roads and when cycling along them there were still patches of tarmac but were blocked by gates etc now

Most county councils maintain maps of public rights of way. One that is open to all traffic is most likely classified as a Byway Open to All Traffic (or BOAT)
see https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/definitiv ... rights-way for an example

or the map at.

http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/a ... _and_About
Reading

Post by Reading »

Usefully Sussex puts a disclaimer on theirs saying it is not definitive and for that you have to go to Chichester in person. The track i was thinking of is coloured as bridleway now but labelled as "smugglers lane (track)"
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Reading wrote:Usefully Sussex puts a disclaimer on theirs saying it is not definitive and for that you have to go to Chichester in person. The track i was thinking of is coloured as bridleway now but labelled as "smugglers lane (track)"
“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
Built for comfort, not speed.
Reading

Post by Reading »

this is what i mean https://goo.gl/maps/CtK48YnDazB2 - fork to right track to farm marked as rd, fork to left, marked as bridleway which is the "track" i mentioned, goes through a ford in winter (culvert in summer) then a field and then past a farm before emerging here https://goo.gl/maps/gE6PoQgRgtC2 in the 80's it was obvious that track is metalled but the farmer used to drive cows out of that gate and around the corner to his milking parlour twice daily so the mud and muck covered the rd. Not sure when it ceased to be a general right of way for motorised traffic
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Reading wrote:this is what i mean https://goo.gl/maps/CtK48YnDazB2 - fork to right track to farm marked as rd, fork to left, marked as bridleway which is the "track" i mentioned, goes through a ford in winter (culvert in summer) then a field and then past a farm before emerging here https://goo.gl/maps/gE6PoQgRgtC2 in the 80's it was obvious that track is metalled but the farmer used to drive cows out of that gate and around the corner to his milking parlour twice daily so the mud and muck covered the rd. Not sure when it ceased to be a general right of way for motorised traffic
The fact that a road is metalled does not make it a right of way. This route IS a public right of way classified as a Bridlepath. The Rights Of Way (Amendment) Bill of 2004 Subsection (2) extinguished any unrecorded rights of way for mechanically propelled vehicles so unless someone challenged it at the time that would be when it became legal, it further allows those with a legal access to the land such as farmers to have vehicular access.

This is not unreasonable as the landowner is the one who will have to maintain it.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

B4444 wrote:Looks more 'obvious' from above!
Stoney Cross, New Forest
I thought this was going to refer to the several Minstead turns.

The unnamed road past Cadman's Pool is an odd one to drive, until you realise it's built over an old airfield.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

The odd thing about that map is that is seems to suggest that there are no public roads in North Yorkshire. I turn off all the footpath options and expected to see every passageway I could legally drive a vehicle along.

There are places where the map suggests there's no road, but there is, eg until I bought a newer map the road between Newton Rawcliffe to Wheeldale Moor looked like it was a mud track with a implication it wasn't publically driveable, and last week I speculatively drove up Golden Grove south of Whitby expecting to find a sign saying TURN BACK NOW. The tarmac kept going eventually turning into two gravelled wheel tracks, at that point I lost confidence and turned back. Checking the map shows I was less than 100m from Rigg Mill Farm at the other end and back onto a main road.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

jgharston wrote:
The odd thing about that map is that is seems to suggest that there are no public roads in North Yorkshire. I turn off all the footpath options and expected to see every passageway I could legally drive a vehicle along.
There are separate layers for the road network: turn that on and click "Unclassified Roads" and you'll see a fair selection of "Roads" which you are legally permitted to drive along but that is no guarantee that you can.
There are places where the map suggests there's no road, but there is, eg until I bought a newer map the road between Newton Rawcliffe to Wheeldale Moor looked like it was a mud track with a implication it wasn't publically driveable
That's been surfaced for getting on for 20 years! Driven it many times, my favourite route to Whitby.
and last week I speculatively drove up Golden Grove south of Whitby expecting to find a sign saying TURN BACK NOW. The tarmac kept going eventually turning into two gravelled wheel tracks, at that point I lost confidence and turned back. Checking the map shows I was less than 100m from Rigg Mill Farm at the other end and back onto a main road.
Try the white road south from the centre of Grosmont village, goes though a couple of very interesting fords and eventually comes out on the hillside above Beck Hole.
Let it snow.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Alderpoint wrote:
jgharston wrote: The odd thing about that map is that is seems to suggest that there are no public roads in North Yorkshire. I turn off all the footpath options and expected to see every passageway I could legally drive a vehicle along.
There are separate layers for the road network: turn that on and click "Unclassified Roads" and you'll see a fair selection of "Roads" which you are legally permitted to drive along but that is no guarantee that you can.
There are places where the map suggests there's no road, but there is, eg until I bought a newer map the road between Newton Rawcliffe to Wheeldale Moor looked like it was a mud track with a implication it wasn't publically driveable
That's been surfaced for getting on for 20 years! Driven it many times, my favourite route to Whitby.
I recall driving that Road in the 1970's when as I recall it was gated but shown on OS as a through route. It was a bit rough but perfectly passable with care, mind you I was driving a LWB Landy :) The main reason for the trip was to get to the Roman Road where we set up a check point for hikers.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Alderpoint wrote:
jgharston wrote:There are places where the map suggests there's no road, but there is, eg until I bought a newer map the road between Newton Rawcliffe to Wheeldale Moor looked like it was a mud track with a implication it wasn't publically driveable
I did buy my map in about 1983. It doesn't even show RAF Fylingdales. ;) That road and the Egton Moor route to the west are my usual routes to and from Whitby. Gives the little Corsa a good try-out going up and down Chimney Bank. :)
Alderpoint wrote:Try the white road south from the centre of Grosmont village, goes though a couple of very interesting fords and eventually comes out on the hillside above Beck Hole.
The one signed unsuitable for motors? Though the aerial view does suggest it's all tarmaced.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Alderpoint wrote:There are separate layers for the road network: turn that on and click "Unclassified Roads" and you'll see a fair selection of "Roads" which you are legally permitted to drive along but that is no guarantee that you can.
Ah ha! That does indeed show I can/should be able to get from Gold Grove to Riggs Farm.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

jgharston wrote: I did buy my map in about 1983. It doesn't even show RAF Fylingdales. ;)
Maps of that era always showed nothing around military bases.
The one signed unsuitable for motors?
Yes, that one :twisted: :twisted:
Let it snow.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Alderpoint wrote: That's been surfaced for getting on for 20 years! Driven it many times, my favourite route to Whitby.
I'd suggest just over 20 years... Judging by my OS maps, it looks like it happened around 1997.
jgharston wrote: I did buy my map in about 1983. It doesn't even show RAF Fylingdales. ;)
Again, a look at my own OS maps would suggest that didn't appear until the mid 2000s.
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

What about roads that look like roads but are not public roads. Back in 2014, I confessed to driving along Elden Road, Tidworth
I wrote: Tue Jun 10, 2014 09:15 On a slight tangent, I took the car on a MOD permissive byway (Elden Road, Tidworth) on a route to Avebury during half term. At least that's what a bikers group on the internet describe it as (with a video to prove they went there) and Google Maps allow it as a route. I didn't check the small written note on the entrance and didn't manage to bump into a tank. You wouldn't take it if you had an Ordnance Survey map only as its just shown as a track and its certainly not any kind of right of way.

This one
Entrance shown here. As I mentioned previously, no large signs warning you off, just some small print.

Now realistically it is actually designed for a tank to get from Perham Down to Tidworth without going on the main roads too much. But if you did drive down there and ended up facing a tank would it a) blast you off the road b) get one of the crew to hold you for the military/ordinary police or c) wave you a cheery hello :cheek:
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Last week I was trying to get from the A19 near Easingwold to the A1 and planned to take Church Lane through Little Sessey, but turned left too early ending up going along Moor Lane instead. After couple of minutes the tarmac ran out, and then a couple more minutes and the gravel turned into baked mud. I paused and checked the OS map, which claimed it was a normal "white" rural road. There was a chap walking a dog watching me so I asked if I could get any further. "Oh yes, it's a bit bumpy, but this is the road to Sessey Church".

But he was right :)