Opinion on new road sign

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nathan_A_RF

Opinion on new road sign

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

In the past couple of days the local council has recently upgraded some signage at a dangerous corner on the A28 just outside Hastings. The Chevron signage was replaced at the bend itself, as well as the approach signs. The northbound sign was replaced with one of the exact same warning, except brighter. However, the southbound sign (seen here) was replaced with a "double bend to the left" warning sign and a "reduce speed now" supplementary plate, all as one sign on a yellow background. I have never seen any issues with the slight left hand bend beforehand and it is not really obvious, so I was wondering whether I should report to the council that this could be misleading, as drivers could be expecting a left handed bend rather than a right handed one? Any opinions on this matter would be nice.
Vierwielen

Re: Opinion on new road sign

Post by Vierwielen »

In foggy weather, the "bend to the right" could be confusing if the road bends to the left, even if slightly.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I don't know the exact issues making that particular corner "dangerous", but to me the thing that needs signing better is the farm entrance on the inside of that gentle left hander - I couldn't see it on your initial link. Other than that, I do worry about the standard of driving if a gentle left hand bend like that is causing accidents...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A pet hate of mine this. There are many double bends that have the sign saying the bend goes the opposite way to reality.

Oh if only there was a bend neutral sign for multiple bends in rapid succession. Oh wait, there was and we canned it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 21:15 A pet hate of mine this. There are many double bends that have the sign saying the bend goes the opposite way to reality.

Oh if only there was a bend neutral sign for multiple bends in rapid succession. Oh wait, there was and we canned it.
The campaign to bring back the 'Series of bends' sign starts here!

Murray Duncan
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Couldn't the RH bend sign have been moved to the other side of the access, ie after the slight LH bend, or would that put it too close to the RH bend?
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 21:15

One that most certainly should be brought back
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 21:15 A pet hate of mine this. There are many double bends that have the sign saying the bend goes the opposite way to reality.

This would explain why, in my travels, I occasionally see a pair of bends marked with a triangular sign which sets me up to expect the first bend to go the opposite way to that depicted on the sign! Which brain donor came up with that "improvement"?
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.