A164 to be Converted to Dual Carriageway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: A164 to be Converted to Dual Carriageway

Post by Chris Bertram »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22
jackal wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 09:16 Image
Perhaps the most surprising thing about this map extract is the appearance of the A8061 in the Newcastle suburbs?!
It is, of course A6081, and is mostly now unclassified.

Barts' maps are/were lovely to look at, but they did occasionally make things up, presumably on the basis that truth is beauty and beauty truth.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

A lunchtime talk on the A164 and Jocks Lodge junction scheme on the 27th April. Though a tenner may be a bit steep if you aren't a member of the CIHT.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Hopefully they might find a way to remove some/all of the roundabouts in the section proposed for dualling.

Also what about dualling the entire route all the way to the Humber Bridge?
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Rillington wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 18:48 Hopefully they might find a way to remove some/all of the roundabouts in the section proposed for dualling.

Dualling was looked at over a decade ago but for various reasons - costs, IIRC, being paramount - was dropped.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Rillington wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 18:48 Hopefully they might find a way to remove some/all of the roundabouts in the section proposed for dualling.

The current plan is to dual the road as far as the Castle Hill roundabout where the dual carriageway currently starts, but there don't appear to be any plans to dual the road between Willerby and Humber Bridge, nor to remove any of the roundabouts either on the existing dual section or on the new section (which only has one intermediate roundabout). Given that the average spacing between the roundabouts on the section from Jocks Lodge to the Humber Bridge is less than 1 mile, and there are no junctions where there is any significant flow across the A164, it's hard to see that grade-separation is a realistic proposal. Doing some junctions but not others would have little or no benefit, but doing all junctions would lead to a West-Toon Bypass type situation where sliproads, and merge and weaving zones, are dangerously short. The only good way to do it would be to put in a LAR type arrangement to allow only key junctions to retain direct access onto A164, but this seems like massive overkill given the context and traffic volumes.
jackal

Post by jackal »

This should start construction this year:
The council submitted a planning application for the scheme at the end of March 2020.

Planning Permission for the scheme was granted in July 2020.

Detailed design has now been completed and the council is currently in the process of appointing a construction contractor for the works. Accommodation works by the utility companies is envisaged to commence in Summer 2023, followed by the main works to commence in late 2023. The main construction works are anticipated to be completed in late 2026.

To enable smoother delivery of the project and reduce the impact of the works on people travelling through the area, minor advanced works for the scheme have been proposed, anticipated be on site in Summer 2023. This includes the relocation of bus stops from the A164 (north of Skidby Roundabout) onto Main Street, Skidby, with a new roundabout at the junction of Main St and Beverley Road to allow buses to turn around. Additionally, environmental and lighting improvements will be made to Mill Road and its existing bridge over the A164, to improve this route for walking and cycling.

Information regarding the proposed traffic management on the A164 and the A1079 will be available on this website in due course.
Unfortunately the budget hasn't kept pace with inflation so the dualling between Castle Hill Roundabout and Skidby Roundabout has been dropped. But dualling north of Skidby Roundabout is to a high standard, and I still like the eccentric A164/A1079 design:

https://www.a164jockslodge.co.uk/
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:21 This should start construction this year:
The council submitted a planning application for the scheme at the end of March 2020.

Planning Permission for the scheme was granted in July 2020.

Detailed design has now been completed and the council is currently in the process of appointing a construction contractor for the works. Accommodation works by the utility companies is envisaged to commence in Summer 2023, followed by the main works to commence in late 2023. The main construction works are anticipated to be completed in late 2026.

To enable smoother delivery of the project and reduce the impact of the works on people travelling through the area, minor advanced works for the scheme have been proposed, anticipated be on site in Summer 2023. This includes the relocation of bus stops from the A164 (north of Skidby Roundabout) onto Main Street, Skidby, with a new roundabout at the junction of Main St and Beverley Road to allow buses to turn around. Additionally, environmental and lighting improvements will be made to Mill Road and its existing bridge over the A164, to improve this route for walking and cycling.

Information regarding the proposed traffic management on the A164 and the A1079 will be available on this website in due course.
Unfortunately the budget hasn't kept pace with inflation so the dualling between Castle Hill Roundabout and Skidby Roundabout has been dropped. But dualling north of Skidby Roundabout is to a high standard, and I still like the eccentric A164/A1079 design:

That's weird but I actually like it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 13:24
jackal wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:21Unfortunately the budget hasn't kept pace with inflation so the dualling between Castle Hill Roundabout and Skidby Roundabout has been dropped. But dualling north of Skidby Roundabout is to a high standard, and I still like the eccentric A164/A1079 design:

Very unique!

Would seem trivial to provide a more generous left turn free flow A164 to A1079, and retain one of the existing parclo loops to freeflow A1079 to A164, eliminating a very busy right turn at the new roundabout.

I'm willing to believe it will all work nicely, but it does seem to be an example of just throwing roundabouts at a problem - see also the A120 Braintree to A12 project.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 13:38
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 13:24
jackal wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:21Unfortunately the budget hasn't kept pace with inflation so the dualling between Castle Hill Roundabout and Skidby Roundabout has been dropped. But dualling north of Skidby Roundabout is to a high standard, and I still like the eccentric A164/A1079 design:

Very unique!

Would seem trivial to provide a more generous left turn free flow A164 to A1079, and retain one of the existing parclo loops to freeflow A1079 to A164, eliminating a very busy right turn at the new roundabout.

I'm willing to believe it will all work nicely, but it does seem to be an example of just throwing roundabouts at a problem - see also the A120 Braintree to A12 project.
Yes, one comment I'd have made about the wider scheme is a nicer alignment north onto the A164 bypass at the Ward Way roundabout instead of the parallel road alongside the existing to the roundabout as planned but I suspect there are development aspirations here aren't there?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 13:49Yes, one comment I'd have made about the wider scheme is a nicer alignment north onto the A164 bypass at the Ward Way roundabout instead of the parallel road alongside the existing to the roundabout as planned but I suspect there are development aspirations here aren't there?
Oh yes, every parcel of land on the north side of the A1079 will be fair game once this is done, as will the bit between the two A164 branches on the south side. The parclo loop on the north side is being repurposed for private access, by the look of it.
jackal

Post by jackal »

I quite agree with Chris's point about retaining the A1079 to A164 loop.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

jackal wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:21 But dualling north of Skidby Roundabout is to a high standard, and I still like the eccentric A164/A1079 design:
I was trying to work out the layout and match it to what's currently there, and suddenly realised they've got the bloody picture the wrong way up. GRRR!!!! That's showing the A164 going left-right when in reality it goes north-south.