Irl: Road Widening schemes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: Irl: Road Widening schemes

Post by Euan »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 09:44 Hopefully lane discipline will be enforced as our side of the Irish Sea has nothing but problems with middle lane morons.
At least they do not cause as much trouble as those who hog the outside lane.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
odlum

Post by odlum »

M7 widening, 23rd feb

https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104 ... g~original

pic regedit, boards.ie
bothar

Post by bothar »

Euan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 23:48 At least they do not cause as much trouble as those who hog the outside lane.
Disgraceful tailgating in the pic posted by Odlum above, but everyone in the overtaking lane with plenty of space on the inside.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
M50Jct15

Post by M50Jct15 »

Disgraceful tailgating in the pic posted by Odlum above, but everyone in the overtaking lane with plenty of space on the inside.
Yep...there is always one p*ick :no:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

M50Jct15 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 19:51
You're both 100% sure that one car isn't towing the other I see.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Big L wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 19:56
Quite. The spacing between the vehicles seems unusual.

Unlike the persistent ‘12 cars in lane 2, 1 HGV + 1 tipper/another sole car in lane 1, all doing 50mph’ scenario you see every day.

Nearly all the cars squeezing in lane 2 tailgate one or more of the others. Despite there being ample room for at least half of them in lane 1.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Big L wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 19:56
I don't expect to see a car towing another one in the overtaking lane.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

That looks a wide enough median after widening. Similar to the M1 6 lane section.

When these roads were first built they had extra wide medians.

They need two barriers instead of one in the center. On the M1 in the center gap they put in lovely planting.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There could be foreshortening owing to the lens and focal length in addition to probably a really low roadworks speed limit so id say its somewhat difficult to away whether or not there's tailgating. The lane discipline is poor, though, id agree...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
odlum

Post by odlum »

It's very low. It's 60 km/h through these roadworks for some reason infuriating drivers.

The idea of overtaking does seem a moot point.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Corporate propaganda re M7 upgrade
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Thanks for posting that odlum. Some years ago I saw cows crossing this bridge on the Northern Irish M2 and reported it on here but I'm not sure if anyone actually believed me.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Thanks. I have never actually seen them used myself - I always thought they were kind of novelty "concessions" for farmers but i'm glad to know they are actually used 8-)
Euan

Post by Euan »

A42_Sparks wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 15:20 Thanks for posting that odlum. Some years ago I saw cows crossing this bridge on the Northern Irish M2 and reported it on here but I'm not sure if anyone actually believed me.
It looks like they could still get across but only in single file, although I reckon it must have been a bit tricky for the farmers to get the cows across the bridge neatly without walking too closely in front or behind one another.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
odlum

Post by odlum »

To return to matters at hand...

Since they have the similar space in the median on the M7 and are using the same double barrier i'd like to see them do the same as on the M1 with nice median planting. Looks great when the flowers finally come out.

Or they could just leave it hollow

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm a big fan of median and verge planting - it creates all sorts of habitats, particularly for insect and small animal life which is of great benefit to the wider ecosystem. In a former life I worked with a local authority environment team which studied all of that sort of thing which was fascinating stuff and shows that new road corridors and bypasses, built sympathetically and with the environment in mind can actually increase ecological diversity - much better than large prarie type agricultural land, farmed intesively with no hedges or verges and an artificially induced monoculture through use of weedkillers and crop modification.

(Not that I'm saying all farms are like that, before anyone points out to me the good that many farmers do to look after the land)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The DMRB actively advises against planting in central reservations because of maintenance of it meaning a lane closure would be needed. Grass central reserves will ultimately all go on trunk roads it seems.

Building visually pleasing roads comes below making sure a few Mr Toads don't have to do 50 through some roadworks once in a while whilst the grass is cut.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 23:49The DMRB actively advises against planting in central reservations because of maintenance of it meaning a lane closure would be needed. Grass central reserves will ultimately all go on trunk roads it seems.

Building visually pleasing roads comes below making sure a few Mr Toads don't have to do 50 through some roadworks once in a while whilst the grass is cut.
Isn’t that what overnight closures are for?? Rather than widening stretches of the A1?? :?:
Euan

Post by Euan »

I do like seeing a bit of plant life next to roads or carriageways, especially if you have just come out of a large town or city and are fed up with the colour grey being everywhere.

I would imagine that if a lane closure is required for whenever central reservation grass needs trimmed then it would be far more feasible to plant in the middle of a D3M motorway than a D2M motorway as at least you would still have two lanes open through the works.

As suggested above, overnight works could work as well and would minimise the amount of disruption caused. Additionally, very little if any work would need to be carried out for about five months of the year while it is too cold for grass to grow.