CANED on M6 bridges

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M4 Cardiff

Re: CANED on M6 bridges

Post by M4 Cardiff »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 22:09 Quite a lot of bridges on the M1 south of Watford Gap (maybe more, but I have not been that far up it recently as I usually turn off onto the M45) now have political graffiti on them. In at least one cast this overwrites Helch's tag, and it appears that Helch has tried to blank over it. Unfortunately this has made quite a mess of the nice old Owen Williams Bridges.

The political tagger has missed the principal rule of graffiti - don't tag over someone else's work!

Also, the Helch tag has been partly overpainted with plain white rectangles on the Chalfont Viaduct, not sure what's going on there.
Update on this, the old Owen Williams M1 bridges south of Luton that had had the Helch tag on them have been cleaned back to gleaming pale yellow-grey concrete. They look great!
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

The Government have directed that all graffiti be removed. My daughter is currently mapping graffiti from up to date trips from camera cars. Her company has the contract to do this for all trunk roads.
In a few weeks they do it again to check that Highways have removed it.
She sometimes uses this website to check where roads run! This is amusing to both of us as she used to occasionally mock my interest in roads.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I'm not surprised they have started on the M1 - there's a lot of very anti-Boris graffiti on those bridges too!
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 09:50 I'm not surprised they have started on the M1 - there's a lot of very anti-Boris graffiti on those bridges too!
Huge amounts! In the run up to the election last December, someone visited overbridges along a huge length of the road - Leicestershire to Yorkshire at least - to spray anti-Boris and anti-Conservative slogans on them. I remember making a journey from London to Leeds and being astonished that so many had been done over such an unbelievable length of road. It took long enough to drive between them all non-stop on the motorway; heaven knows how long it must have taken to reach all of them from side roads.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

This footbridge has gained text saying something like "this motorway has three lanes why?" and the next one has "good drivers use the left lane".

Odd.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Big L wrote:This footbridge has gained text saying something like "this motorway has three lanes why?" and the next one has "good drivers use the left lane".

Odd.
One after says "why are you a middle lane moron?"

I like it. Gets the message across much better than "KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING".

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The GROW THE REVOLUTION text that was removed at Linnyshaw Moss is now OUR FEAR IS THEIR POWER.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Big L wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 15:35 This footbridge has gained text saying something like "this motorway has three lanes why?" and the next one has "good drivers use the left lane".

Odd.
We saw these over the Hogmanay trip and both had the same reaction. Tatty, yellow, faint and - frankly - a dangerous distraction to driver concentration on a busy stretch of motorway at dusk.

On the positive side, no sign of a typo!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.