CANED on M6 bridges

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nearM65

CANED on M6 bridges

Post by nearM65 »

Could anyone tell me why CANED been painted on bridges and some walls from jct 32.
5000 miles a month and counting.. :D
CallumParry

Re: CANED on M6 bridges

Post by CallumParry »

Might just be a graffiti tag
nearM65

Post by nearM65 »

There is way too many to be tags. Plus tags are used for marking a area that they run/own its a local thing. The first one is jct31a then every bridge till jct33 plus its on some walls and them old trailers that sit in farmers fields. And were done over one night.Must of known area very well as some of the bridges are way out in the sticks.
5000 miles a month and counting.. :D
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

The "give peas a chance" graffiti that appeared in quite a few location always has a soft spot from me, I like peas, they are underrated ;-)
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Are there several Give Peas A Chance? The one I know is between Heathrow and Watford on the M25, somewhere around the M40 junction (it's a while since I've inflicted that particular ordeal on myself so can't remember the precise bridge).
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Herned

Post by Herned »

My favourite was on the M40 somewhere near Beaconsfield, saying "Why do you do this every day?". Which was later edited to say "Why do you still do this every day?"
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Herned wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 09:20 My favourite was on the M40 somewhere near Beaconsfield, saying "Why do you do this every day?". Which was later edited to say "Why do you still do this every day?"
That is/was on a fence visible from the motorway approaching J1(A) eastbound. Said fence has had so many layers of overpainting that very little is clearly readable now.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 08:43 Are there several Give Peas A Chance? The one I know is between Heathrow and Watford on the M25, somewhere around the M40 junction (it's a while since I've inflicted that particular ordeal on myself so can't remember the precise bridge).
On the M40, before the M25 is the most well known one

Bamber Bridge, somewhere south of Knutsford and south of J21 on the M5 are other locations I've seen it at
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

ScottB5411 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09
FosseWay wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 08:43 Are there several Give Peas A Chance? The one I know is between Heathrow and Watford on the M25, somewhere around the M40 junction (it's a while since I've inflicted that particular ordeal on myself so can't remember the precise bridge).

Bamber Bridge, somewhere south of Knutsford and south of J21 on the M5 are other locations I've seen it at
The famous Peas graffiti is on the M25 between the M40 and M1. There was, a couple of years ago, some Pies graffiti on the M6 around Knutsford, which I gather relates to a band from Liverpool.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

Did anyone here see 'M. Khan is bent' on a flyover in the London area about 25 years ago? It was mentioned by David Baddiel in a routine on 'The Mary Whitehouse Experience'.

Murray Duncan
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Big L wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27
ScottB5411 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09

The famous Peas graffiti is on the M25 between the M40 and M1. There was, a couple of years ago, some Pies graffiti on the M6 around Knutsford, which I gather relates to a band from Liverpool.
Now that I'm on some wifi...
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Sulzer:1999 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 Did anyone here see 'M. Khan is bent' on a flyover in the London area about 25 years ago? It was mentioned by David Baddiel in a routine on 'The Mary Whitehouse Experience'.

Murray Duncan
I always wondered where that came from!
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

I still fondly remember GOOD MORNING LEMMINGS on three consecutive supports of the Chiswick Flyover.
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Klepsydra wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 00:01 I still fondly remember GOOD MORNING LEMMINGS on three consecutive supports of the Chiswick Flyover.
From what I remember this appeared on some overbridges briefly somewhere around the Redbridge Flyover in Southampton in the early 2000s. Was always quite satisfying as I used to travel in the opposite direction to the rush hour traffic as I lived in the centre and worked just outside Totton.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Klepsydra

Post by Klepsydra »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 00:32
Klepsydra wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 00:01 I still fondly remember GOOD MORNING LEMMINGS on three consecutive supports of the Chiswick Flyover.
From what I remember this appeared on some overbridges briefly somewhere around the Redbridge Flyover in Southampton in the early 2000s. Was always quite satisfying as I used to travel in the opposite direction to the rush hour traffic as I lived in the centre and worked just outside Totton.
The Chiswick one was mid/late 1980s. It lasted quite a while, and even when painted out, they did such an inexpert job that you could still read it for ages.
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

nearM65 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 13:38 Could anyone tell me why CANED been painted on bridges and some walls from jct 32.
Count yourself luckily...

Earth is Flat

Seems to be appearing quite regularly on the M90 and A9... :roll:

Thanks for that Bryn, sorry I did not notice your post until now.
The picture in the feature pertaining to 'M. Kahn is bent' is otherwise a nice shot of Deltic 19, I think, but I stand to be corrected.

Murray Duncan

novaecosse wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 19:35
nearM65 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 13:38 Could anyone tell me why CANED been painted on bridges and some walls from jct 32.
Count yourself luckily...

Earth is Flat

Seems to be appearing quite regularly on the M90 and A9... :roll:
Have yet to see this for myself, but a gent from the Grantown area has previously told me he has seen a lot of this.

Murray Duncan