CANED on M6 bridges

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: CANED on M6 bridges

Post by c2R »

There's new Flat Earth graffiti on the A1 southbound, one at Stibbington proclaiming "FLAAT EARTH" and another approaching Peterborough adivising you to "RESEARCH FLAT EARTH". Not as artistic as the "You are now entering the future" unfortunately....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Someone has removed DEMOCRACY IS FRACKED from the M61...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
HandShandy

Post by HandShandy »

novaecosse wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 19:35
nearM65 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 13:38 Could anyone tell me why CANED been painted on bridges and some walls from jct 32.
Count yourself luckily...

Earth is Flat

Seems to be appearing quite regularly on the M90 and A9... :roll:
Wait what? The earth isn't flat? :confused: :D

It's also appeared on the back of road signs and on advertising trailers on the rural sections of the M8 around J5-J4.

I have had my own ongoing battle with graffiti around M90 J2 Masterton, my colleagues and I took the approach of removing it as soon as possible (24 hours) whether it was offensive or not to hopefully diminish any satisfaction gained by those who spraypainted it. It's worked reasonably well. My neighbours at BEAR NE don't seem to tolerate it either, as they have quickly removed a lot of it on the A92.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Round Sheffield there's someone writing "NOP" and someone else writing "VOMIT" on pretty much any available wall - including on the side of high buildings and on walls overhanging the river. It seems like an awful lot of effort for very little gain.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The matrix gantry on the M4 eastbound approaching Heathrow J4 was tagged, every lane box, earlier this week. It must have been quite a challenge to do, and more so will require a complete carriageway closure to remove it.

Do the local police really not know who the various local taggers are ?
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

DavidB wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 14:12 HELCH
More HELCH
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 18:31 Someone has removed DEMOCRACY IS FRACKED from the M61...
There's been Extinction/Rebellion graffiti for a few months now around the south side of the M60, west of Stockport
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

The Cornwall/Devon border sign on the westbound A30 was regularly graffitied with some Cornwall independence stuff, on the latest streetview it is all clear!

Years ago the old English Heritage symbol on local brown signs had been scrawled out too.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.63803 ... 312!8i6656
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DavidB wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 14:12 HELCH
I counted at least three of them along the Beds/Herts sections of the M1, at the weekend.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Hopefully the police catch up with them soon. Unlike high-quality street art, it does not add anything and only makes the place look tatty and encourages others to get themselves into dangerous places - remember the chaps who got killed on the railway in south London last year? One of these days, Helch (or similar) is going to fall and be seriously injured or worse. Emergency services will have to clean up, and the general public will be subject to significant delays.

I have also noticed some pretty hostile Brexit related tagging on M1 bridges recently, which I fear is something we will start seeing more of.

I guess there is no money available to clean it off, and also the disruption involved would not be acceptable - probably full-night closures for the simple bridges and several nights of closures to clean off the Chalfont Viaduct.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Sounds like HELCH is becoming nearly as prolific as that apparently Viking-descended tagger of Sheffield's railways, BLOODAXE.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The problem is graffiti is either vandalism or it isn't.

Everyone wants a Banksy but if you allow that you're stuck with allowing taggers to write their name.

I don't get the Helch stuff and if there's some message behind it then it is completely lost on me.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

He has now been written up in the Daily Wail, because he has tagged the Windsor railway viaduct, and it is visible from Windsor Castle and the Royals are unhappy.

Stupid article says it is spray painted, but his work is pretty obviously done with a roller.

There are now some multi coloured ones on the M1 at Luton, one is unfinished. These do look better than the plain white.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

There is now a large HELCH in Woodford on the side of Domino Pizza, visible from the tube. Look closely, you can see it's a 2nd attempt after he messed it up! :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.60780 ... 8192?hl=en
Last edited by ScottB5411 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity removed from post
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 09:57There are now some multi coloured ones on the M1 at Luton, one is unfinished. These do look better than the plain white.
There's several massive ones on the M1 between the M25 and MK - but the one at Luton is absolutely vast!
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Quite a lot of bridges on the M1 south of Watford Gap (maybe more, but I have not been that far up it recently as I usually turn off onto the M45) now have political graffiti on them. In at least one cast this overwrites Helch's tag, and it appears that Helch has tried to blank over it. Unfortunately this has made quite a mess of the nice old Owen Williams Bridges.

The political tagger has missed the principal rule of graffiti - don't tag over someone else's work!

Also, the Helch tag has been partly overpainted with plain white rectangles on the Chalfont Viaduct, not sure what's going on there.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-52089188

Now the Chalfont Viaduct has a 'Thank You NHS' banner painted on it. Looking at the painting style, I reckon it was still done by Helch though.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:14 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-52089188

Now the Chalfont Viaduct has a 'Thank You NHS' banner painted on it. Looking at the painting style, I reckon it was still done by Helch though.
Great, I couldn't find that on the BBC yesterday. That painting will be there a very long time.
nearM65

Post by nearM65 »

Richard (Barrow) wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49
nearM65 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 13:38 Could anyone tell me why CANED been painted on bridges and some walls from jct 32.
No, but I have noticed these myself lately.

I was wondering if they were "underground" advertising for a band perhaps?

IIRC there was a bridge in Liverpool that advertised the name of a band/song for a while a few decades back. Unless I am dreaming I think there was a local news piece on it a year or two ago.
The pies are a local band they are on YouTube
5000 miles a month and counting.. :D