Major A Roads in Google Maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

astondb9

Major A Roads in Google Maps

Post by astondb9 »

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but in the last few months Google Maps has begun showing some major A roads slightly different to more minor ones, making the UK road network look a little less sparse when zoomed out.

You'll need good eyes, but if you zoom to show most of England/Scotland in map view you can see certain roads are now very slightly bolder and darker orange than others, if you zoom in they disappear again though.

I'm not sure what the criteria is as some of these aren't dualled, and they don't show all trunk roads, but hopefully you guys can suggest other roads which could do with the same treatment.

The roads i've found are:
A1 (all non-motorway sections)
A12
A14 (M6 to Cambridge, but not further east)
A120
A34 (between M3 and M40)
A453 (between M1 and Nottingham)
A48 and A40 in Wales
A50
A55
A628
A64
A68
A75
A9
DB617

Re: Major A Roads in Google Maps

Post by DB617 »

Good spotting! It's not perfect, though, as the zoomed out version of their (stupidly useful) traffic feature doesn't yet include those roads; it's still limited to motorways. Out of the areas I'm familiar with, the A42, A38 Devon Expressway and South Cornwall road, and the A30 through the south west are conspicuously missing.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Yes this has been like this for a year or so if you put live traffic on and zoom in and out you will notice the major A roads you mention show live traffic when zoomed further out than the other A roads, that’s the only way I noticed then as you say on closer inspection they are more noticeable when zoomed out.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Good spotting! It's not perfect, though, as the zoomed out version of their (stupidly useful) traffic feature doesn't yet include those roads; it's still limited to motorways. Out of the areas I'm familiar with, the A42, A38 Devon Expressway and South Cornwall road, and the A30 through the south west are conspicuously missing.

They do work in traffic but not like the motorways when zoomed right out but if you zoom in slightly you will notice these A roads show traffic before the normal A roads, not sure what the system is for selecting these roads, I’m surprised the A168/A19 and A66 are not on it.

The google maps live traffic is absolutely brilliant though it is always spot on unlike the Highways England traffic map which seems to show congestion everywhere.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

NICK 647063 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 17:48
The google maps live traffic is absolutely brilliant though it is always spot on unlike the Highways England traffic map which seems to show congestion everywhere.
It's really clever in the way it works; most people would hate it if they knew this but it basically just takes location samples of all phone users with Maps enabled, regularly, when they're on the road. It does have flaws because it often shows closed sections as still 'green' because road workers or emergency workers are carrying their phones up and down the sections. They also get closures and incident locations wrong quite often, but considering it's an automated system using many sources, it's brilliant. We've come a really long way from having the 'Traffic alerts' system on our FM radios.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

It's a shame that the way Google renders its maps makes them impossible to use for journey planning.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
DB617

Post by DB617 »

How do you mean?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

DB617 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:16 How do you mean?
I mean that I find that Google Maps frequently renders suburban areas like this (as experienced on several different devices), which I find it difficult to navigate with:
Untitled.png
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:37
DB617 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:16 How do you mean?
I mean that I find that Google Maps frequently renders suburban areas like this (as experienced on several different devices), which I find it difficult to navigate with:Untitled.png
Oh, I see. That's weird - mine renders with more contrast, with built up area ground being grey and the roads white with black outline. Are there any appearance settings like on a Sat Nav?