UK to get first Dutch-style roundabout in Cambridge

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

hoagy_ytfc

Re: UK to get first Dutch-style roundabout in Cambridge

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:00What does asking people in wheelchairs to wheel themselves above the height of traffic just to get across the road demonstrate? A complete lack of awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.

Applause :)
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48
We don't design roads for idiots. The idiots shouldn't be allowed on them in the first place.
Personally, I am not convinced that people with your attitude should be allowed to design roads in the first place.

People make mistakes, and they are more likely to make mistakes when they are faced with a road layout they have not experienced before, The responsible designer recognises this, and takes this into account in their design.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Graham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 14:45 People make mistakes, and they are more likely to make mistakes when they are faced with a road layout they have not experienced before, The responsible designer recognises this, and takes this into account in their design.
How would you like a more responsible designer to account for this?

- it is built entirely out of recognisable features
- it separates classes of traffic which don't mix well (cyclists and vehicles)
- it has clearly marked priorities throughout to leave no room for confusion

What would be a more responsible solution? Removing the segregation, removing the marked priorities, building a standard roundabout and ignoring the established problem of it being dangerous to NMUs?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
boliston

Post by boliston »

lotrjw wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:35
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 Being yelled at by pedestrians and cyclists who are obstructed will get the message across to the hard of thinking.

We don't design roads for idiots. The idiots shouldn't be allowed on them in the first place.
Maybe, but I think grade separating the pedestrians and cyclists would be a better solution.
there is a general trend against grade separation in towns and cities as it creates a hostile environment for non motorised road users - higher traffic speeds and inconvenient diversions through tunnels and bridges for people wishing to simply cross a road
Graham

Post by Graham »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 14:51 How would you like a more responsible designer to account for this?
The responsible designer asks themselves the following question:

"what could go wrong when people come across a design they have not seen before, and how can I take account of this in my design?"

The irresponsible designer says:

"people should not make mistakes, even when they are faced with something new, and anyone who does so is an idiot who should not be allowed to drive. Therefore, I can ignore this in my design".

Are you really suggesting that you prefer the latter approach?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Graham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 15:31 Are you really suggesting that you prefer the latter approach?
No, I'm saying there is nothing new about a roundabout, a zebra crossing and a give way line. I've seen them all before.

If you were talking about a radical new concept then I agree it needs to be obvious how to use it. The 'confusion' which sparked this debate was that people might not know how to drive over a zebra crossing in which case such people absolutely should not be driving as our roads are already filled with them.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Graham

Post by Graham »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 15:44
Graham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 15:31 Are you really suggesting that you prefer the latter approach?
No, I'm saying there is nothing new about a roundabout, a zebra crossing and a give way line. I've seen them all before.

If you were talking about a radical new concept then I agree it needs to be obvious how to use it. The 'confusion' which sparked this debate was that people might not know how to drive over a zebra crossing in which case such people absolutely should not be driving as our roads are already filled with them.
When you combine several existing features in a design that almost all drivers will be unfamiliar with, you create the possibility of confusion, even if each individual feature is familiar. Recognising and allowing for this is the hallmark of responsible design.

It's rather like changing the priorities of traffic signals. By your argument, this should not have any impact on the number of accidents, as all drivers should understand how traffic signals work. However, in the real world, it is recognised that drivers are more likely to make mistakes in these circumstances, and the responsible approach is to put up a sign informing drivers that the signal priorities have been changed.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:22
c2R wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 Bryn, does the roundabout actually have a name - as this is quite an interesting road event in the UK I'd like to add it to a wiki page about the junction..
No official name for it, however it is on Queen Edith Way.

We just call them Dutch style roundabouts.
It's generally referred to locally as "the Queen Edith's Way roundabout". (The eastern section of the ring road from Hills Road to Newmarket Road has five names, and I don't think anyone can reliably remember which bit is which.)
[real name Colin]
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 15:44 If you were talking about a radical new concept then I agree it needs to be obvious how to use it. The 'confusion' which sparked this debate was that people might not know how to drive over a zebra crossing in which case such people absolutely should not be driving as our roads are already filled with them.
I think there is a potential risk here, as a roundabout a mile away on the ring road (A1134 Perne Road/Birdwood Road) was also redone a couple of years ago. A Dutch-style roundabout was sort-of-promised, but what we ended up with was one superficially similar, but with motor traffic retaining priority. So once the new roundabout is in, we will have two similar roundabouts with different priorities. So I hope the signage is clear. At least the new one is conveniently close to the hospital in case of collisions.
[real name Colin]
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:00
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 Being yelled at by pedestrians and cyclists who are obstructed will get the message across to the hard of thinking.

Maybe, but I think grade separating the pedestrians and cyclists would be a better solution.
What problem are we trying to solve? That motorists lack an awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.

What does asking people in wheelchairs to wheel themselves above the height of traffic just to get across the road demonstrate? A complete lack of awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.
perhaps lowering the road junction by 2-3 metres, meaning the NMU routes above wouldnt need a large incline.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Graham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 14:45
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48
Personally, I am not convinced that people with your attitude should be allowed to design roads in the first place.

People make mistakes, and they are more likely to make mistakes when they are faced with a road layout they have not experienced before, The responsible designer recognises this, and takes this into account in their design.
I quite agree!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

boliston wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 15:25

there is a general trend against grade separation in towns and cities as it creates a hostile environment for non motorised road users - higher traffic speeds and inconvenient diversions through tunnels and bridges for people wishing to simply cross a road
The other way to do it is to make the NMUs use a signalised crossing to cross the space for motorised users, but that can also cause issues so close to a roundabout, as traffic builds up on the roundabout when trying to use an exit where there is a crossing in use so close.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

No you misunderstood, it wasnt that people wouldnt know that they shouldnt stop over the zebra crossing, its that people might just ignore the fact it is because they are looking for the best view of the roundabout, which is right next to the roundabout which ironically is where the zebra crossing is!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

lotrjw wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 17:41
Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:00

What problem are we trying to solve? That motorists lack an awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.

What does asking people in wheelchairs to wheel themselves above the height of traffic just to get across the road demonstrate? A complete lack of awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.
perhaps lowering the road junction by 2-3 metres, meaning the NMU routes above wouldnt need a large incline.
That would make property access rather difficult and again, we're talking about a suburban street in Cambridge, not something like the north circular road...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Graham wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 16:20

When you combine several existing features in a design that almost all drivers will be unfamiliar with, you create the possibility of confusion, even if each individual feature is familiar. Recognising and allowing for this is the hallmark of responsible design.

It's rather like changing the priorities of traffic signals. By your argument, this should not have any impact on the number of accidents, as all drivers should understand how traffic signals work. However, in the real world, it is recognised that drivers are more likely to make mistakes in these circumstances, and the responsible approach is to put up a sign informing drivers that the signal priorities have been changed.
On top of that Im sure many experienced drivers get confused at complex junctions they arent used to, even if all features are well know and recognised ones. Even simple junctions that drivers are unfamiliar with can be a little confusing sometimes, it depends how the layout is.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's funny isn't it how when you suggest drivers should meet a basic minimum standard of competency this is an affront to human rights.

However, if zebra crossings and roundabouts are too much for the addled motorists of Cambridge then that suggests a much more fundamental problem with driver training than highway design.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

c2R wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 17:51
lotrjw wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 17:41
Johnathan404 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 13:00 What problem are we trying to solve? That motorists lack an awareness that other people exist and have a right to get across the road.

That would make property access rather difficult and again, we're talking about a suburban street in Cambridge, not something like the north circular road...
I think lotrjw just takes umbrage with the notion that his car isn't king of the road.
Bryn

Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 20:12I did have some input into the design and I am keen to see it finished.
Can I ask why one exit has "give way" markings before the crossing point and the others don't? I can't see from the plan what makes that one different.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I queried it but was told it was requested by the client because there's no central island there. IMV a silly reason to have it but this is what happens when people claim basic design features confuse them. :x
Bryn

Berk

Post by Berk »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 20:47I queried it but was told it was requested by the client because there's no central island there. IMV a silly reason to have it but this is what happens when people claim basic design features confuse them. :x
I’m sorry, I’ve lost the relevance of this point to the overall design. How will it improve the functioning of the roundabout??

Bearing in mind that ALL arms of the roundabout (or any roundabout, come to that) have ‘invisible’ give way lines... :?: