Driving on the right - In the UK!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

beauchampboiler

Driving on the right - In the UK!

Post by beauchampboiler »

Fore Street car park in my home town of Ipswich has recently been resurfaced in an unorthodox way. The only usable entrance/exit is a narrow drive which connects to a a one way road and this has a tendency to create conflicts between entering and exiting traffic turning across each other. The Council’s solution was to encourage traffic to enter and exit driving on the right. I suppose this makes sense if everyone obeys the markings but it seems to fly in the face how people were taught to drive and I can see more conflicts occurring as a result. Does anyone have any other examples of road layouts in the U.K. that encourage driving on the ‘wrong’ side, especially on the same carriageway?

GSV Link (before refurbishment): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St ... b1bf66a24aImage. Please see attached photograph for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by beauchampboiler on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Johnathan404

Re: Driving on the right - In the UK!

Post by Johnathan404 »

I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

beauchampboiler wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 Does anyone have any other examples of road layouts in the U.K. that encourage driving on the ‘wrong’ side, especially on the same carriageway?
There are at least two car parks in Leeds where this is the case:

one

two
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Similar layout at Sainsburys Dartford
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Looking at the "before" - is the bus lane still in existence? If so, this looks like an odd - yet logical - resolution to a local traffic difficulty.

Turning round the GSV picture, the origins of the traffic flow are clear (from the 2017 pic)
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

There's an example of driving on the left in Sweden fairly near me. In this view, there are two ferry piers (they go to different islands). The exit route from both goes down the middle, with the approach routes both north and south. If you're heading for the southern ferry pier (the one with all the queued traffic in the view) you cross the traffic leaving the ferries at a light-controlled junction (where the hatching is) and then continue on the left.

It is slightly weird but in general there is traffic moving either in one direction or the other, but not both simultaneously, as while the boarding lanes are filling up, there is no boat at the pier and therefore no traffic heading inland, and when the ferry is emptying the traffic waiting to board is stationary. The only exception is if you drive down to the waterfront and turn round and go away again, which a number buses do, and private users may do if they wish. Hence the light controlled junction.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
M19

Post by M19 »

Diverging diamond GSJs. Quite common now in the US and supposedly done to reduce the amount of conflicts that signalised junctions have to manage to maximise throughput.
M19
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

M19 wrote:Diverging diamond GSJs. Quite common now in the US and supposedly done to reduce the amount of conflicts that signalised junctions have to manage to maximise throughput.
Although they strike me as a problem we already solved with the roundabout.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

beauchampboiler wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:40 Fore Street car park in my home town of Ipswich has recently been resurfaced in an unorthodox way. The only usable entrance/exit is a narrow drive which connects to a a one way road and this has a tendency to create conflicts between entering and exiting traffic turning across each other. The Council’s solution was to encourage traffic to enter and exit driving on the right. I suppose this makes sense if everyone obeys the markings but it seems to fly in the face how people were taught to drive and I can see more conflicts occurring as a result. Does anyone have any other examples of road layouts in the U.K. that encourage driving on the ‘wrong’ side, especially on the same carriageway?

GSV Link (before refurbishment): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St ... b1bf66a24aImage. Please see attached photograph for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps the solution would be to place a physical divider between the entering and exiting traffic? once inside the spaces could be used as a divider with a one way road going round the car park from entrance to exit.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:51
M19 wrote:Diverging diamond GSJs. Quite common now in the US and supposedly done to reduce the amount of conflicts that signalised junctions have to manage to maximise throughput.
Although they strike me as a problem we already solved with the roundabout.
There's actually a lot more capacity and safety in a DDI than an uncontrolled two bridge roundabout because you don't have high circulatory speeds making entering difficult.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Rooftop car park in Blackburn on top of Thwaites Brewery is drive on right because it is accessed from a one way street.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

The 2 council MSCPs in Dundee at Greenmarket and Gellatley street are set up for driving on the Right, a vauge memory says to me that the Overgate carpark is also set up that way.

I also spotted a one way system somewhere a few years back that was effectivley driving on the right, but can't remember where it was now.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Johnathan404 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:48
Savoy Hotel
The old classic of the Savoy Hotel entrance in London was rebuilt some years ago (just before the oldest Google Maps photo) and, while the same traffic arrangements remain, it no longer looks like a proper street and more like a hotel forecourt instead. It does still have the exit traffic signal installed for right-hand running, which is I think unique in the UK. It does now have painted In/Out roadmatkings. Previously you just had to know it.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

M19 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:44 Diverging diamond GSJs. Quite common now in the US and supposedly done to reduce the amount of conflicts that signalised junctions have to manage to maximise throughput.
I can think of at least one site in the UK (M60 junction 21) where this design could potentially work wonders.
fras

Post by fras »

The entrance to the car park off Antrobus Street in Congleton has this arrangement. When I first entered it, I can tell you I felt a bit nervous, but all the locals are well familiar with it. Antrobus street is one-way, so it has logic, but there are only road markings to tell you.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.16432 ... 6656?hl=en
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 23:09
M19 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 18:44 Diverging diamond GSJs. Quite common now in the US and supposedly done to reduce the amount of conflicts that signalised junctions have to manage to maximise throughput.
I can think of at least one site in the UK (M60 junction 21) where this design could potentially work wonders.
That would be interesting to see - as well as the A663 mainline it's got two-way approach roads at two opposite corners and one-way on-slips at the other two.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

A counter-example here [urlhttps://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7567114,0.400 ... 312!8i6656 ][/url] which could easily be altered to have a left in / right out arrangement. As it is the generous radii are somewhat superfluous.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

The Tram Road car park in Folkestone used to be like this when The Tram Road was one way, but it was converted to two way a couple of years ago and the car park was switched to the "proper" way.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Before it was all redeveloped, Ambury next to the Avon Street Car Park in Bath was a back to front D2 in order to make the one way systems work. Sadly, streetview doesn't seem to go back far enough.

Not too far away, at the retail park on Marchfields Way in Weston, This junction as can be seen from the remains of the lining was utterly rubbish, with conflicting traffic. I vaguely remember a local campaign to simply do a 'drive on the right' to it, but the end result was a new exit road, before Marchfields Way was dualled and the junction signalised.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

They should all be scrapped.. they ARE dangerous. Swansea's has claimed quite a few lives and the work is nearly complete to get rid or this 'continental' section for good.