M1 J13-16 ALR smart motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nader

Re: M1 J13-16 ALR smart motorway

Post by Nader »

Courtesy of Great Linford Parish Council:

M1 Overnight Closures

Not sure why there is the need to close all the way from 11A if the scheme is only from J13 though. Also amused by the official 14-11a diversion route, the long way around Leighton Buzzard rather than straight down the A5, clearly Hockliffe residents had their say!
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Nader wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 Courtesy of Great Linford Parish Council:

M1 Overnight Closures

Not sure why there is the need to close all the way from 11A if the scheme is only from J13 though. Also amused by the official 14-11a diversion route, the long way around Leighton Buzzard rather than straight down the A5, clearly Hockliffe residents had their say!
In view of the lengthy diversions involved, I am surprised that Highways England has not advised long distance strategic traffic heading to the Midlands and beyond to use the M40 and M42 when the closures take place.
Nader

Post by Nader »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 13:53 In view of the lengthy diversions involved, I am surprised that Highways England has not advised long distance strategic traffic heading to the Midlands and beyond to use the M40 and M42 when the closures take place.
They may well have done, that link is just to what they have sent to Great Linford Parish Council, which both backs on to the relevant section of M1 and has the 14-15 diversion route going through it, rather than 'national' publicity
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

Nader wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 Courtesy of Great Linford Parish Council:

M1 Overnight Closures

The northbound traffic management will likely start prior to J13 meaning the motorway to be shut from J12, so sensible to shut from 11a.

Not sure why the diversion avoids most of the A5 unless there is other work scheduled that will clash?

I feel for the residents in the J11a-13 area who have managed just over a year of peace since 11a was completed.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Nader

Post by Nader »

Drove J14 - 13 Southbound this morning. Traffic is using hard shoulder, lane 1, and lane 2, with lane 3 on both sides coned off. I presume this means they will be replacing the central reservation barrier first? Hard shoulder already is continuous between these two junctions so I guess the only work on this side is to create the laybys.

I'm driving J14-16 tomorrow so will have a look at what's going on there.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 17:21
Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 08:55
darkcape wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 22:24 Once J13-16 is complete once again the Leicestershire section will stick out like a sore thumb as the only classic section of motorway between London and Leeds.
There’s also still J35a-39 (roughly Barnsley-Wakefield) that remains in its original D3M configuration, and if you want to be pedantic then there’s also J1-6a. Watford is Hertfordshire, not London :wink:
They will smarten that too. Eventually we will have an entirely smart M1.
Speaking as someone who commutes the Barnsley-Wakefield section daily, there is nowhere near enough traffic, even at peak times, to justify an upgrade.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed the entry and exit sliproads to the junctions on that section are absolutely enormous, even the ones at Wooley Edge services, and there are several entire motorways in this country which are shorter than the south-facing slips at 37.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 14:09
There’s also still J35a-39 (roughly Barnsley-Wakefield) that remains in its original D3M configuration, and if you want to be pedantic then there’s also J1-6a. Watford is Hertfordshire, not London :wink:
Speaking as someone who commutes the Barnsley-Wakefield section daily, there is nowhere near enough traffic, even at peak times, to justify an upgrade.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed the entry and exit sliproads to the junctions on that section are absolutely enormous, even the ones at Wooley Edge services, and there are several entire motorways in this country which are shorter than the south-facing slips at 37.
The thing is it breaks up two smart motorway sections. It should be there for the continuity. The M1 should be a fully smart motorway.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 14:29

The thing is it breaks up two smart motorway sections. It should be there for the continuity. The M1 should be a fully smart motorway.
The character (and traffic flows) of many motorways changes from section to section; the M1 is no exception.
The Barnsley-Wakefield section is quiet and rural, with very widely-spaced junctions - variable speed limits would be completely unnecessary.

Also, just remembered the northernmost section (M621 to Hook Moor) has no VSL either, and is unlikely to get it any time soon, for much the same reason.
Nader

Post by Nader »

No roadworks/traffic management on 14-16 yet. I'd forgotten that 15-16 already has a concrete barrier so should be less to do in that section.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Any update on what's going on since before the lockdown?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 15:14 The character (and traffic flows) of many motorways changes from section to section; the M1 is no exception.
The Barnsley-Wakefield section is quiet and rural, with very widely-spaced junctions - variable speed limits would be completely unnecessary.
Quite agree. Whereas J42 to J41 southbound is now all lane running & still snarls up, probably due to weaving & could do with the extra spend. That's not forgetting, sorting out Lofthouse Interchange & J43.
Nader

Post by Nader »

EpicChef wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 18:01 Any update on what's going on since before the lockdown?
Not driven it since the beginning of March, but at that point J13 to just past NP services was a 60 limit and as far as I can tell the concrete barrier complete and hard shoulder continuous. Looks like just the refuge areas still to complete. North of NP services it is still a 50 limit and work is less advanced.
Last edited by Nader on Tue May 12, 2020 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
thomas417

Post by thomas417 »

Just has a look at junction 37 and the slips are indeed massive perhaps owing to the hilly nature of this section.

Something I've also noticed is why anyone would use the footbridge here. It's a substantial structure that seems to serve no purpose at all given the more direct road bridge next to it to cross the motorway, any ideas?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5388953 ... 384!8i8192
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

thomas417 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:29Something I've also noticed is why anyone would use the footbridge here. It's a substantial structure that seems to serve no purpose at all given the more direct road bridge next to it to cross the motorway, any ideas?
It connects a number of public footpaths that would have a longer diversion to use the road bridge. OSM shows them well - Google Maps is not very good for footpaths and other smaller rights of way.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

Any news on the scheme now? There is no update from HE.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 19:47
thomas417 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:29Something I've also noticed is why anyone would use the footbridge here. It's a substantial structure that seems to serve no purpose at all given the more direct road bridge next to it to cross the motorway, any ideas?
It connects a number of public footpaths that would have a longer diversion to use the road bridge. OSM shows them well - Google Maps is not very good for footpaths and other smaller rights of way.
It's also a favourite spot for jumpers.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Nader

Post by Nader »

EpicChef wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 15:20 Any news on the scheme now? There is no update from HE.
Sorry, despite living less than 5 miles from J14 I haven't driven on (or even over) the M1 since March 7th :o :lol:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Have some variable speed limit legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/956/made
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

c2R wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 14:45 Have some variable speed limit legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/956/made
Anyone have any news on how the project is progressing? The last update seemed quite vague, saying they plan to open junction 13 as ALR by the end of this year (? - Jct 13 to Jct what?) , and the "end date" on the website has been changed from "Spring 2022" to "2022-23".

Does anyone have anything more definitive?
Nader

Post by Nader »

I've been along 13-14 a few times recently and it basically looks complete, so I can well imagine that 13-14 may open by the end of this year. 14-15 also seems pretty advance, the concrete central barrier is in place and looks like they are creating refuges.