All Lane Running - Smart Motorways ?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: All Lane Running - Smart Motorways ?

Post by Conekicker »

Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:57
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:53
Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:48 Couldn't they just open it with NSL and a solid white line separating lane 1 from the rest (making it a good old-fashioned hard shoulder), and then change the line to a broken one and bring that lane into use once the technology is in place?
Surely a coned off Lane 1 (no paint) and 60mph roadworks speed limit would be fine. They use this set up for "technology testing" after all.
.... which sounds even more sensible!
Except the coning would need to be maintained. £££.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Big L wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 21:14
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 20:56
RichardA35 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 20:20A whisper reaches me that, on a current scheme in construction, the technology will not be ready in time but HE state the scheme MUST be opened by April. One of the options for opening being looked at is to risk assess 4 lane running with a mandatory 40 which at least gets the traffic management off the road....
Yikes!

By "the technology", do you mean the general Smart Motorway technology, or specifically the newer stranded vehicle detection stuff?
Would this mandatory 40 be on a stretch that has had a 50 limit during many months of roadworks ?

In the last week or two about 2 miles of all-lane running, at national speed limit, has opened up on the northbound M6 down the hill towards J3A. The world still seems to be spinning.
Also enjoyed this small reduction in roadworks. Gets you to the M6N j13 to 15/16 works (with 19.5 miles of 50mph narrow lanes and some contraflow) a good two minutes quicker. Setting off from Cambridge around 1530 today.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:43
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:53

Surely a coned off Lane 1 (no paint) and 60mph roadworks speed limit would be fine. They use this set up for "technology testing" after all.
Whereas a 40 limit would be routinely ignored unless SPECS were left in situ, which also need to be maintained.

Is it just time everyone admitted HE doesn't work and tried something new?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 13:44
Conekicker wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:43

Whereas a 40 limit would be routinely ignored unless SPECS were left in situ, which also need to be maintained.

Is it just time everyone admitted HE doesn't work and tried something new?
SPECS either is either working or it isn't. There's no way for a passing motorist to tell which it is. So the deterrent effect works very well. The speed limit can be set to anything, 40, 50, 60 or 70, with the cameras adjusted to suit, if they are actually working at all. No one is going to be stupid enough to try to find out. Are they?

There's far less call for maintenance with SPECS than a couple of lines of cones, which will get dirty and knocked out of position. Someone would at least need to give the cones a drive through once a day as a bare minimum. With SPECS, no need for a site visit unless someone calls in a problem.

Of course the daily cost of hire for the SPECS system is likely to be more than the cones but the workforce exposure and risk to the public from cones getting knocked into live lanes is far less.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

But there's still going to be a 4 lane motorway with no hard shoulder or 'full technology'; does driving into the back of someone in the dark at 40 instead of 70 tick all the boxes for these people?
Bryn

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I don't work on the roads and I do not work for the police, so I'm not claiming to know any better than anybody who does!

Nonetheless, my impression as a driver is that any kind of speed camera on a motorway is only a deterrent when a speed limit lower than NSL has been applied. If it's NSL most car drivers appear to carry on as normal (i.e. in excess of NSL).
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 16:49Nonetheless, my impression as a driver is that any kind of speed camera on a motorway is only a deterrent when a speed limit lower than NSL has been applied. If it's NSL most car drivers appear to carry on as normal (i.e. in excess of NSL).
Are you referring to Specs with a "camera not in use" sign next to it or the permanent gantry mounted HADECS cameras? If it's the former than yes, the camera will be non functioning. If it's the latter then good luck if you're travelling at 79+. The tolerance for these has come down since the latest the latest generation were introduced. The threshold in NSL for the old style cameras was something like 95 but the new ones are set to 10% +2mph.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Truvelo wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 21:13
Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 16:49Nonetheless, my impression as a driver is that any kind of speed camera on a motorway is only a deterrent when a speed limit lower than NSL has been applied. If it's NSL most car drivers appear to carry on as normal (i.e. in excess of NSL).
Are you referring to Specs with a "camera not in use" sign next to it or the permanent gantry mounted HADECS cameras? If it's the former than yes, the camera will be non functioning. If it's the latter then good luck if you're travelling at 79+. The tolerance for these has come down since the latest the latest generation were introduced. The threshold in NSL for the old style cameras was something like 95 but the new ones are set to 10% +2mph.
There's no legal requirement for a "camera not in use" sign to be in place when the system isn't working. The sensible reaction when you see a SPECS post and no sign is to assume it's functioning. Unless one likes to collect points of course...

HADECS are spot-speed cameras, so some drivers do speed between them. The SPECS system gives far better compliance.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

As an aside, I had a colleague at training who has since departed the business (in disgrace) who thought he was clever when the M1 J45 works were on. Because they were trialling the 55mph speed limit at the time, the SPECS was 'not in use' until the approval for the 55 limit was given. The signs were duly removed and the cameras turned on and clever man managed to get 12 points worth of fines in one week (and even then I think he was lucky as he would've passed the cameras 12 times) because he sped through at 70 not noticing the 'not in use' signs had vanished. He subsequently recieved a court date (in Leeds; we were back in Caerphilly by then), handed back his hire van with £2000 worth of crash damage and was given his marching orders. Turns out blatantly illegal driving didn't go down well with our employer. Oops. No sympathy from me...
JonH

Post by JonH »

Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 16:49 I don't work on the roads and I do not work for the police, so I'm not claiming to know any better than anybody who does!

Nonetheless, my impression as a driver is that any kind of speed camera on a motorway is only a deterrent when a speed limit lower than NSL has been applied. If it's NSL most car drivers appear to carry on as normal (i.e. in excess of NSL).
I can safely say that I have seen the speed cameras on the M3 "smart" section working when there are no gantry signs and NSL applies. Watch someone hammer the brakes after being flashed by one.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

JonH wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 13:24
Owain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 16:49 I don't work on the roads and I do not work for the police, so I'm not claiming to know any better than anybody who does!

I can safely say that I have seen the speed cameras on the M3 "smart" section working when there are no gantry signs and NSL applies. Watch someone hammer the brakes after being flashed by one.
They usual go off at 90mph plus, doing a steady 80mph seems fine. What annoys me are the drivers going along at 75, hitting there breaks to 60mph under every gantry or MS4
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

JonH wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 13:24

Which rather supports my point - if you see people getting zapped, then the camera isn't a deterrent!

A friend of mine was zapped recently by a camera on the 'smart' section of the M3, in the middle of the night when the road was empty and the signs were turned off. However, he was doing a speed that the overwhelming majority of drivers would never do (98mph), so I was hardly surprised that he received a fine.

On the M1 near Sheffield, the signs often show the NSL symbol, and the VMS near each camera states "speed cameras". That seems to slow people down to NSL more effectively than the mere presence of cameras when all the signs are switched off.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

EpicChef wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 The motorway should not open at 70 without all technology in place INCLUDING stopped vehicle detection.
I'd like to see that without accusations of incompetence being thrown around...
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Out of interest if there is a sign which says "camera not in use" and it actually is in use, and you get done by it, does:-

a. The prosecution stand because you broke the limit?
b. The prosecution not stand because you were entrapped by the sign?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Given you can't be entrapped into doing something illegal in the first place... the former.
Bryn

FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Another quite lengthy report on the smart motorway debate on BBC's Breakfast Time this morning, although there doesn't seem to be any supporting story on their website. I think the basis of it was an admission from HE that the cameras were not constantly monitored - I'm not sure if this really is new information?
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 09:23 Another quite lengthy report on the smart motorway debate on BBC's Breakfast Time this morning, although there doesn't seem to be any supporting story on their website. I think the basis of it was an admission from HE that the cameras were not constantly monitored - I'm not sure if this really is new information?
Surely it is common sense, to monitor them contantly would require one person per camera. Obviously that isn't going to happen.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Bendo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:06
FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 09:23 Another quite lengthy report on the smart motorway debate on BBC's Breakfast Time this morning, although there doesn't seem to be any supporting story on their website. I think the basis of it was an admission from HE that the cameras were not constantly monitored - I'm not sure if this really is new information?
Surely it is common sense, to monitor them contantly would require one person per camera. Obviously that isn't going to happen.
No, it isn't. However, from my own experience of monitoring CCTV on railway stations, I would have thought it possible for an operator to cover quite a number of cameras if the display system rotates through them. No doubt others on here have a better idea of how the control room displays actually work. That does assume that the operator isn't undertaking any other task, which might be the case at times. The crux of the BBC report, to my understanding, was an admission by HE that cameras were not being monitored at all at times, leading to the delays in detecting stopped vehicles previously discussed on this thread.
JonH

Post by JonH »

Saw that report - there is nothing currently on the BBC website. Not that there'd be much point - reading comments here, it's clear that many highways "experts" attitudes to road deaths is "meh"
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I witnessed this morning on the England M1 a large amount of HGV traffic in the hard shoulder between J12 and J13 travelling at between 50 and 60mph - however all the gantries were off, meaning the hard shoulder wasn't in operation.... It was a mixture of UK and contintental vhicles, as well as road maintenance type vehicles, presumably heading for the works site from 13 northbound...

It's very clear that there is a definite gulf in understanding of motorists how and when to use these roads.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps